boat speakers

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
does anyone have and suggestions on speakers for my boat. i was aiming for some 6x9's but would like to know you guys opinion... what brands do you all have? i just got the clarion cmd6 and would like some speakers that will really jam... help please

thanks chris

neal58cobra

Reaction score
speakers

If you want it to sound good and loud, you just cant beat JL. I installed two 7.7 coax speakers in my 272 sailfish and they jam. You must amp these speakers and I use a Fosgate 500a2. The speakers are $$$ but well worth it. Like I always say "Cheap meat an't good, and expensive meat an't cheap."

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
i really appreciate it you guys... and i have been eying the jl's.... just wasent sure... i got that new clarion or i say new, new to me cmd6, and that is an awsome stereo. thanks guys

chris

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
i was wondering if you know how well these jl speakers will stand up against the salt water.

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
yeah i know they have the marine version, im just wondering how they withstand the saltwater, i mean cause i would think that the fresh water would be alot easier on them, and im going to be using them in my boat which will obtain alot of salt water trips lol.... and blood

chris

richie rich

Reaction score
I also have the Clarion deck and installed their 6 inch marine coax...they work great......they get wet and washed and still keep going with good performance.

HMBJack

Reaction score
I just installed a pair of 6x9" Poly Planer 3 way speakers in my outside and very exposed cockpit. These speakers are advertised as "water PROOF" - I won't really know how water PROOF they are for another year but so far, I have no regrets. My previous speakers were only water resistant and they frankly disintegrated in the weather over time.

Grady282owner

Reaction score
Guys another question regarding speakers on this thread. Does anyone have a sailfish and if they do have speakers mounted on both sides of the interior anchor line access panel. What size speaker can you fit there?

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Sailfish w/speakers

Hello there young Dorado. Hows it going buddy. My boat had an old Clarion system on it when I got her. (pre CD with cassette deck!) Part of my upgrades included installing the Jensen Marine package which came with a couple of 6" speakers. I left the two original 4" Clarion speakers in the cabin which are mounted on the left and right sides below the rod holders and shelves. The previous owner had added a couple of 5" Polyplaner waterproofs to the left and right sides of the cockpit just below the side storage areas. The old speakers still sounded great! Jensen Stereo unit would not fit into the existing enclosure so I fabricated a new enclosure for the new unit and mounted it in the same space occupied by the old Clarion. I then fabricated a box mount for the two new Jensen speakers which I mounted on the cockpit bulkhead left of the cabin door. The Jensen cranks well on all six! We love to go thru the Bob Sikes cut(a very narrow pass) with the old time rocknroll blasting! I'll pm you some pics of the installation. Did you have any luck replacing your powerhead?(282 you can probably mount some speakers on either side of your anchor line storage with no problem.) 8)

Grady282owner

Reaction score
Thanks Jack I know Grady installs their speakers there from the factory option just not sure if 6 inch will fit.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The only way to make any of them 'jam' is to install an amp. If you have 40-50 watts per channel you can get by with an amped sub since the speakers will put out quite a bit of sound from the deck. And the only way to get any kind of depth and low-range response is with an amped sub.

I did a whole how-to-do-it three years ago when I did mine but they don't stickie those threads on this forum and after a time they disappear.

Since the pics are up on my photobucket I'll include them again here. Specs are:
Sony marine head unit with Ipod interface
4 -6.56" speakers under the helm and in the cockpit
600w amp and 10" sub mounted under passenger pedestal

Sound is fantastic, and loud enough to hear at full cruise. It really cranks. Marine grade speakers use plastic cones and corrosion resistant hardware. One of my cockpit speakers blew out, I simply removed it and re-glued the plastic cone. They were cheap enough that even to replace them is no biggie. I have about $500 in this system.

sony_head.jpg

speaker_L.jpg

speakers_rear1.jpg

amp_install.jpg

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Jammin!

Hello out there CJ! Very nice system and installation! No doubt that "Chum Along" is a rocker! Gives me some good ideas! Thanks Buddy! 8)

Bama96

Reaction score
Put a pair of Infinity Kappa marine speakers in my Triton Bass Rig. They are great quality and less than JLs. Glen E over on THT who is the authority on this stuff said they were the best for the $. I agree.

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
you guys really make this site interesting, i love it... everyone has their own ideas and they are all helpful.

Bama: do you have a model number on the infinitys, cause i can possiably get a deal. my cousin gets discount from west marine and other places cause he owns his own tint place here in bayview tx.

jack: that sounds like a good deal youve got goin. i really appreciate it man. and as far as the powerhead im glad you asked i will get some pics on here in another post asking some ideas on how to get it apart ive just started and im fighting it soo hard lol...a little later this evening i will post the pics. im getting to take a ride in my buddys plane to a place to eat dinner like an hour away.i live on an private airport and my budy flys planes, this will be my first trip in a personal aircraft cant wait.

CJ: i really like how you included the pics, that is very similar to what im looking at i do want to put an amp'd sub, and mount the head unit similar to that underneath. another ?? i have with this is where you have your amp n stuff mounted is like the white starboard material or somthing, (what is it) mine is wood i want to make it look a little newer lol. the boats a 1983. But i must credit you on such an nice install job.. i cannot stand when ppl instal n u can see wires lol, i am such a picky person, and like it to be neat and professional looking.

Bill: i have looked and looked as speakers like that and i think ive talked myself into some round flush mounts or some flushmount 6x9's but i really appreciate your reply. cause u never know if i change my mind lol

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Flying!

Hey Dorado! You will enjoy that flight! I was a cropduster pilot for 25 years and did a lot of other flying as well. Sold my old cropduster and bought JUMPNJACK! Good to hear from you buddy! 8)

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
yes sir, all he could tell me was hes foing to scare the sh** out of me lol.... so we will see. his father flys comercial for continental and told me he could hook my up on a deal to get my private liscense.... but i will be posting a new thread on here for the powerhead so help me out lol...

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Capt D... anxious to hear how you like the flying. Let us know if you're likin' it.

Jack... another private pilot here. I got my ticket in California in 1967, and was going into the crop-dusting biz with a flying buddy, when I met my wife-to-be, and everything changed. Still keep up with it, and keep current physical. Still want to get that seaplane rating :)