boat speakers

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
CAPT. DORADO said:
CJ: i really like how you included the pics, that is very similar to what im looking at i do want to put an amp'd sub, and mount the head unit similar to that underneath. another ?? i have with this is where you have your amp n stuff mounted is like the white starboard material or somthing, (what is it) mine is wood i want to make it look a little newer lol. the boats a 1983. But i must credit you on such an nice install job.. i cannot stand when ppl instal n u can see wires lol, i am such a picky person, and like it to be neat and professional looking.
>snip

The amp is mounted on the stock bulkhead. It's like MDF or something in the new boats. A lot of guys do replace them if they start to rot on the bottom edge.

The helm area speakers are box or surface mount becuse there isn't room behind the hull liner for anything but the wires and mounting screws. In the cockpit they are flush mounted in the gunnels. The fiberglass there is almost a quarter inch thick. These boats are built!

What's interesting is the fiberglass boat becomes a giant speaker box, and seems to bounce the sound back, especially for the sub. There was enough space behind that pedestal, in front of the cockpit fish locker, to mount it. Cutting a 10" hole in the boat was a leap of faith. Good sight access by removing the drawers in the pedestal base.

All wiring is run in flex-wrap and the boat has PVC wire runs 'thwartship and from the battery area to the helm area. So yes, no exposed wiring. I used tinned marine grade, the amp has a 10gauge feed direct to the battery, the head unit has a power-up connect for it so it's all automatic, and the head unit is wired to a spare rocker switch on the panel.

The Boss sub is a marine type, it and the amp were half the cost of the install but well worth it. Not that we're into boom-boxes, but properly balanced it just enhances the base response, and adds so much depth to the sound it's hard to explain. There's just no way you can get that kind of sound quality with the smaller two-way and three-way speakers no matter how good they are.

CAPT. DORADO

Reaction score
yes very true same here that is the only reason i care to put the bass in, is so it can crank and the bass can cancel some of the treble out..

but yeah i would like to replace the wood to like mdf or something cause whats in their just doesn't cut it for me lol...i just wasent sure on the replacement material for it

oh n by the way guys the flight was awesome and interesting.....

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Last boat I had Bose Enviromental speakers - they are great speakers and can take direct hosing, sun, salt and blood and they keep deliveirng year after year. I have them installed now on my deck at home and people are amazed at how they sound - downside a bit pricey as with most Bose products - I'ver had them for 10 years now with no issues - so simetimes the old saying you get what you pay for is accurate.

Sandy Bottom

Reaction score
CJ..
That"s an awesome install job. I've been wondering where to install a stereo in my '95 208. I wish I saw this thread before I started another. Sorry

Where did you get the housing that the stereo is mounted in? Also, do you have a model number on the helm speakers?

Thanks
Jay

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sandy Bottom said:
CJ..
That"s an awesome install job. I've been wondering where to install a stereo in my '95 208. I wish I saw this thread before I started another. Sorry

Where did you get the housing that the stereo is mounted in? Also, do you have a model number on the helm speakers?

Thanks
Jay

The housing is a Metra Sea/Hos under panel mount, came from Boaters World, $24.99

The helm surface mount box speakers came from West Marine, MS6101M 2-way marine speakers, $99.00/pair

The cockpit flush mount cut-in speakers came from Overtons's, DMS652 6-1/2" coaxial, $34.99/pair.

The sub is a BOSS marine subwoofer, 10"AVA-MR100, about $120. It's powered by a BAZOOKA el/ma1500 600watt sub amp (1 output, 350w at 4ohm, 500w at 2ohm nominal), about $100. Can't find my reciepts on these.

All the wiring and and connectors came from my local electronics supply house.

jellyfish

Reaction score
CJBROWN said:
Sandy Bottom said:
CJ..

Thanks
Jay

The housing is a Metra Sea/Hos under panel mount, came from Boaters World, $24.99

The helm surface mount box speakers came from West Marine, MS6101M 2-way marine speakers, $99.00/pair

The cockpit flush mount cut-in speakers came from Overtons's, DMS652 6-1/2" coaxial, $34.99/pair.

The sub is a BOSS marine subwoofer, 10"AVA-MR100, about $120. It's powered by a BAZOOKA el/ma1500 600watt sub amp (1 output, 350w at 4ohm, 500w at 2ohm nominal), about $100. Can't find my reciepts on these.

All the wiring and and connectors came from my local electronics supply house.
Chris, could you post any pictures of your speakers and stereo?

jellyfish

Reaction score
CJBROWN said:
jellyfish said:
Chris, could you post any pictures of your speakers and stereo?

They're on the first page of this thread...
lol sorry about that. I see them very nice thank you Chris!

Sandy Bottom

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Chris. I found the housing and am going to order. Did you wire to the battery or to the fuse panel?

Thanks

Jay

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sandy Bottom said:
Thanks for the reply Chris. I found the housing and am going to order. Did you wire to the battery or to the fuse panel?

Thanks

Jay

The head unit is wired to the switch panel instead of the key. That way you have a positive power on/off, and you can switch the whole thing off in an instant. The amp is direct wired to the battery with a 50a fuse, and it has a power-up lead from the head unit. Neato setup. They have those cool gold-plated fuse holders with a clear plastic housing.

A wireless IR remote works by just pointing it at the companionway. Remarkable how well that signal bounces off the cabin walls. Was $15 online for a sony remote. The wired remotes are expensive, but worth it for a bigger boat, mounts on the dash.

Whatever head unit you get, get one that plays MP3's. That way you can burn 160 songs on one CD. Or just connect an Ipod for as much music as you have GB's for. I have 38gb of music, almost 8K songs. A friend lent me his collection...I don't listen to all of it. :shock: