Boating Blues

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well,
Adding to a year I would like soon to forget, Pyramid Lake is still shut down until deemed safe to reopen.
Even when that happens, there will not be any season permits issued until Covid is behind us. Meaning goodbye until at least next fall.
The current rumor is daily passes for boat + fishing will be $62.50 starting early November 2020.
Add that to storage fees and its not a cheap hobby anymore.
I suppose it never was....

20201018_134741.jpg

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ouch I agree with Pig Hunter! Well maybe we will be able to get you on the water Dungeness crab season if you like!

Reactions: leeccoll

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ouch I agree with Pig Hunter! Well maybe we will be able to get you on the water Dungeness crab season if you like!
Would enjoy that very much Joe!

Gotta get you your 228 back first from the paint shop (a.k.a. Gone Fishin!) :eek:

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Would enjoy that very much Joe!

Gotta get you your 228 back first from the paint shop (a.k.a. Gone Fishin!) :eek:
No issue for you buddy will get you on the Dungeoness crab I think I could pull another boat out of my pocket if the 228 not ready

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
No issue for you buddy will get you on the Dungeoness crab I think I could pull another boat out of my pocket if the 228 not ready

If we get COVID sorted, or if people are willing to do masks (I know, I hate them too), I've got a 228 that will put you on crab. Which reminds me, I need to order some crab pots, isn't crab season in a couple of weeks?

Reactions: JJMag

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If we get COVID sorted, or if people are willing to do masks (I know, I hate them too), I've got a 228 that will put you on crab. Which reminds me, I need to order some crab pots, isn't crab season in a couple of weeks?

YES

1603068143488.png1603068143488.png

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer

What do people like for crab pots? I'm a total n00b, never put out pots before. I'd love it if someone said here is how you do that, here is what you need to buy, here is how you put way marks so you can find them, etc. I know *nothing*. Educate me and I'll take you out.

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here’s a link to coast side fishing club Dungeness crab

Reactions: Pighunter

TUNAHUNTER197

Reaction score
What do people like for crab pots? I'm a total n00b, never put out pots before. I'd love it if someone said here is how you do that, here is what you need to buy, here is how you put way marks so you can find them, etc. I know *nothing*. Educate me and I'll take you out.

Crabbing out of SC isn't tough but you need to be setup correctly. I suggest square Danielson pots if this is your first time and plan to do day soaks instead of overnight soaks. Attach at least 15lbs of anything to the pot to hold bottom. I use old brake calipers, axels, dive weights...anything that you can zip tie to the bottom of the pot. Make sure the crab pot doors open freely and don't get caught up on anything you attach to the pot. Get at least 300+ feet of leaded line, please don't use poly ski rope as that will float and get caught in someone's prop. Go to Ranch 99 or any Asian market and purchase cheap fish parts, chicken or old fish going bad in your freezer and stuff the pot with them. You can use a hanging bait jar or bait bags. Put a 4 point harness on your pot, attach the line then two buoy's with your CF numbers. Use your sounder to find sandy bottom and let em drop, mark your GPS on where you dropped. Earlier in the season check pots after 2-4 hours, later in the season check after 4+ hours. Pulling up that much rope will get old so pick up a Ace Line Hauler ($499) that will mount into your Scotty DR mounts which helps tremendously with pulling pots. You can most likely outfit your boat for budget crabbing (5+ pots) spending less then $1k. Good luck, be safe and enjoy those crabbies!

One last thing...don't drop your pots on someone else's. Give a few football fields away before you drop and notice which way the current is going so you don't wrap your lines. It's a big ocean so no need to drop right on top of someone.

Reactions: Pighunter

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Lee, drive to Texas, we will go hit up some tuna;)

Reactions: leeccoll

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lee, drive to Texas, we will go hit up some tuna;)
Ya know Russ, I still remember moving myself and family from San Francisco to Austin in 2005.
You know that famous speed trap on I-10 near Van Horn exit?
Yep, like catching trout at the hatchery ;);)
I never say never....anyways I am due back your way one of these days, will hook up for sure!

Or better yet, bring the family out here for a visit. I have plenty of space.
We will call it a High Adventure Trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: RussGW270

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Count me in.. heh.I will add it to my "Road Trip List"

I keep a running list of the Grady people I want to visit and I am not afraid to tow the boat the entire way.. well, after I get all new tires lol.

Check this out. This is my boat on Larry's HOSS of a tri-axle.. lol. I kept asking, "Am I up on the trailer?" as I could not see it and they were used to the front roller, which is not there.. and kept saying, "You are way away from the roller!".. when, in all actuality I was as far up as I could get it.. but it sits on a "V" brace and the 'roller' was the winch lol. Finally got it figured out and was spot on. Will sit here till the other trailer is back....then taking it to a mechanic for a full diagnosis and shakedown.. but then.. I am looking forward to starting down my road trip... you know... AFTER it can make it to MY spots lol.

But.. Florida is there.. now NV.. heh

Hopefully, all this craziness will be over.. if not.. eh.. cannot catch it going 30mph or in the water! lol. btw.. I hear fish slime is a good deterrent! lol

R

Attachments

• IMG_3682.PNG
    IMG_3682.PNG
    1,010.2 KB · Views: 0

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Count me in.. heh.I will add it to my "Road Trip List"

I keep a running list of the Grady people I want to visit and I am not afraid to tow the boat the entire way.. well, after I get all new tires lol.

Check this out. This is my boat on Larry's HOSS of a tri-axle.. lol. I kept asking, "Am I up on the trailer?" as I could not see it and they were used to the front roller, which is not there.. and kept saying, "You are way away from the roller!".. when, in all actuality I was as far up as I could get it.. but it sits on a "V" brace and the 'roller' was the winch lol. Finally got it figured out and was spot on. Will sit here till the other trailer is back....then taking it to a mechanic for a full diagnosis and shakedown.. but then.. I am looking forward to starting down my road trip... you know... AFTER it can make it to MY spots lol.

But.. Florida is there.. now NV.. heh

Hopefully, all this craziness will be over.. if not.. eh.. cannot catch it going 30mph or in the water! lol. btw.. I hear fish slime is a good deterrent! lol

R

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
News gets worse for me, I usually pay for the 2nd rod option so I can troll with 2 downriggers.

That will be $92.50 for the day sir o_O

OK, here's a $1,000 bucks so I can launch less than 11 days :D

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I will not complain about my $68 a year super combo license in Texas any longer :p

R