Bottom Paint Questions

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks....

My plan is to bring to WM and let them shake it really good before I use and then stir with my drill inbetween I still have not received the boat yet but assume I will tomorrow or Saturday.

Going to prep the boat and sand it, if selling the trailer doesn’t turn into an all day affair. Then use the next warm weather window to paint it.

For the actual engine trim bracket, it has never been painted. Should I let it be or paint? Maybe a few barnacles were on it.

To paint, do I need to strip off the paint or scuff and prime? Assume the same paint as the bracket would be used, something safe for metals.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yes, paint the bracket - it only helps. Lightly scuff and wipe with acetone (or similar) and you're good to go. If you use an anti-fouling paint without copper/metals in it, then you can use it on both the hull and the bracket. For example, Pettit's Hydrocoat ECO.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Can have a local paint store shake it for you if closer. I do this all the time.

jillyrubyjane

Reaction score
Model
Dolphin
I used totalboat jd select bottom paint for my boat bottom to be launched in brackish water. It was easy to apply and two coats went on smoothly with a brush and a roller.

Last edited:

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks everyone....Ended up sanding the boat today and have a few more questions...

1. For the thinner, my paint calls for 120. Do you guys use that or some thinner at HD/ Lowe’s? 40 for a quart seems absurd

2. When painting multiple coats, do you need to wait entirely for the paint to try? So seperate days, potentially?

3, For sanding, is the whole point to just take a layer off/ scruff the bottom? Or should I be looking to get down to the primer?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
1. For the thinner, my paint calls for 120. Do you guys use that or some thinner at HD/ Lowe’s? 40 for a quart seems absurd

The can says it contains Xylene so I would assume that you could wipe down with xylene.

2. When painting multiple coats, do you need to wait entirely for the paint to try? So seperate days, potentially?

The can has dry times at various temperatures listed for recoat and launch.
Its getting cold. The overnight will chill the hull..at 50-60 deg you probably need to wait til afternoon to start and take two days to get two coats.

If you get a 70 deg sunny day after a 50 degree night you could get it done in one day..

Oh...keep your paint warm not in the garage....

3, For sanding, is the whole point to just take a layer off/ scruff the bottom? Or should I be looking to get down to the primer?

Lightly scuff to get to clean paint. I don't go crazy....

seasick

Reaction score
Thanks everyone....Ended up sanding the boat today and have a few more questions...

Read the instructions about recoat times. If you wait too long, you have to lightly sand and wipe again. There are other critical times to follow: The time between the last coat and launch is one, The other for some paints is the maximum time after the last coat and launching. Different paints have different time windows.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Just to be sure, I was clear; If your bracket is aluminum and is is not well coated with some sort of barrier paint or powder coat, applying copper based bottom paint can be a costly mistake. It is far better to paint it with an antifouling paint like Trilux33.
The lower motor bracket and the bottom of the tilt/trim pump assemble is a similar situation. It should not be painted with copper based bottom paint. Trilux 33 will work but I have found that the aerosol can of clear Trilux just doesn't work and is a waste of $30. Trilux33 paint, not spray is too but is expensive if all yu are doing is the lower motor bracket.

I have had decent results with an spray can of Alumacoat but there aren't many (2 maybe) color choices. I just spray the different color. You need 2 coats minimum and 3 are better. It will help a lot but not 100%.
One more thing to be aware of; If the aluminum is bare and /or oxidized, paint wont stick well at all. Bare aluminum needs to be cleaned, perhaps sanded and primed with paint designed specifically for aluminum. Those paints have an etching effect that makes the primer stick well.
I’ve used a zinc chromate as primer coat on bare aluminum for a prop with interlux top coats.

seasick

Reaction score
I believe that zinc chromate is a banned substance in most if not all states. You might be showing your age:)

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I believe that zinc chromate is a banned substance in most if not all states. You might be showing your age:)
Yes many states ban zinc chromate. I think I found it cheap on Amazon though, maybe it was ebay. Took some safety precautions with it.