Bow Pulpit Repair

dbrkr

Reaction score
This is my second gulfstream, went from '89 to '97. The '89 required pulpit repair every year and my new '97 came needing repair. I will pull it from its slip soon and that repair will be a priority as I just ordered a Lewmar Profish 700 windlass. Anyone have a suggestion on a repair material that will last. Seems the pulpit flexes and epoxy repairs don't so looking for recommendations.

seasick

Reaction score
Does you suspect it flexes when the anyhow is used or it gets whacked while docking or other impacts? Some pics of the damage would help.
Some pulpits are cored and if the coring rots, the pulpit loses a lot of strength. If the fiberglass skin flexes under load , it will crack.

dbrkr

Reaction score
Does you suspect it flexes when the anyhow is used or it gets whacked while docking or other impacts? Some pics of the damage would help.
Some pulpits are cored and if the coring rots, the pulpit loses a lot of strength. If the fiberglass skin flexes under load , it will crack.
The damage is more annoying than structurally serious and I suspect it is just walking to the end or pulling in the anchor line. Doubtful that it gets any side impact. Maybe just poor craftsmanship, but I have had a Gulfstream since 2008 and it is something I have to repair every winter.

seasick

Reaction score
What do you have to repair? If it doesn't hold up more than a season, either your repair is inadequate or the pulpit needs reinforcement.

rprieser

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I rebuilt a '89 Gulfstream over the last 2 years and one of the items broken was the bow pulpit -- from what I understand it's a common problem. Took the pulpit off, ground out all the old fiberglass and core material, re-glassed the entire pulpit, bought/installed a new anchor roller, and remounted pulpit. No problems since and pulpit is stronger then the day it came off the assembly line.