Breakaway Anchor

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The Swi-Tec one apparently has a 10m extension available. But what is the auto windup? Every search I do for that comes back for winches.
The switec automatically lets out & winds up the proper depth. There are other brands too. Just saying, for me I almost never anchor in less than 60 ft and often over 120ft

Swapping a front shackle to plastic when I'm in wrecks/rubble seems like a trick that will work. I think a 265 can pop that.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The switec automatically lets out & winds up the proper depth. There are other brands too. Just saying, for me I almost never anchor in less than 60 ft and often over 120ft

Swapping a front shackle to plastic when I'm in wrecks/rubble seems like a trick that will work. I think a 265 can pop that.
Oh, I gotcha, now... you are saying "I like the auto wind up feature", not "it's similar to the Auto Wind Up". I originally thought you were saying that "auto wind up" was another brand name.

I think the nylon bolt will be harder to shear than we think - but I also think it's totally doable. A smaller diameter nylon bolt might be the trick. Try it out and let us know! I've got some laying around since I use them to help hold boards together that I epoxy without worrying about the bolts getting epoxied in place. A little wax on the threads and they thread right out. Worst case, they're easy to drill out.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Bruce claw not holding in the grass in the bay. Switching back to the Danforth.
Having problems with my rope to chain splice. Cut it off and went back to the tapered splice back over the rope.

Attachments

• 8_Plait_Tapered_to_Chain Splice.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 6

ECO

Reaction score
Website
www.pchcs.net
Model
Marlin
Have you tried using an anchor ball? When run forward the ball runs down the line and you behind the anchor and it floats it to the surface. I am on the Gulf and fish it regularly, and its has worked great for me. Once free we use the capstan/windless to bring the line and freed anchor in.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Have you tried using an anchor ball? When run forward the ball runs down the line and you behind the anchor and it floats it to the surface. I am on the Gulf and fish it regularly, and its has worked great for me. Once free we use the capstan/windless to bring the line and freed anchor in.
I'm trying to avoid climbing up on the bow and handling the anchor. The new rope/chain splice worked well yesterday. So did the Danforth anchor.

Reactions: ECO

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
anchor ball doesn't unstick an anchor. just raises it to make hauling in easier

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Bruce claw not holding in the grass in the bay. Switching back to the Danforth.
Having problems with my rope to chain splice. Cut it off and went back to the tapered splice back over the rope.
New rope/chain splice working better - swallows the splice about 50/50. Not sure I can make it that much better. Going to try a longer taper 4 strand/2 strand then 1 strand (each strand is 2) of 8-plait.

Danforth worked better in the grass but it still wouldn't hold well.

Going back to the Bruce.

Going to try the breakaway again with 2' of cable and secure the shank with nylon bolt thru shackle.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
SkunkBoat, While it does make it easier, it can also dislodge a stuck anchor. Here is a short article to help explain it. Article in Boating Magazine
This is correct. My father just retired after 40+ years with his 100ton. Anchoring in hard bottom and swiss cheese in the GOM never losing an anchor.

Now his dumbass son...lost 2 anchors in back to back weekends a couple years ago on his Grady :(

ECO

Reaction score
Website
www.pchcs.net
Model
Marlin
Blindmullet, Your dad had a much larger anchor, and a real winch to retrieve it with, not a mere capstan to pull line in, so don't feel bad.
Besides, it can ALWAYS be worst, and only giving Neptune and Poseidon an anchor each in 40 years is getting away easy!

Sauza45

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
Having lost several anchors I now use the breakaway method. I have not lost anymore anchors since.