Buying a new 208 Adventure

Koakine88

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Aloha,
This forum looks like a great resource as it looks like I’m about to drop a deposit down to have a 2021 208 Adventure built. I sold my first boat a few years ago (a little 18’ runabout), and have had been keeping an eye out for a good used walkaround since then. Hawaii has limited “quality” boats on the used market, espescially if you’re being picky on type and layouts.

I was always a big fan of the new Striper walkarounds and like what you get for the $. The new ones seem to have jumped up in quality a ton and I find many of the features hard to pass up. I was literally about to drop a deposit down on a new 200WA with the Alaska Pilothouse option for sale in California to have shipped over.

I loved the Alaska package idea for Hawaii as we almost always have some good winds and I wanted to be able to cross the Kaiwi Channel to Maui once in awhile without getting drenched. The Striper dealer however, was a bit slow to get me information and quote things out. Because of that, I shopped around more and decided to price out a new Grady.

The Striper was custom ordered but the buyer backed out and has a 175 Yamaha, bait tank delete and port swim step delete for a future kicker mount. It would end up being about $80k shipped to Hawaii. Which for me seems like a decent deal considering the Alaska package would essentially be free. Now, I began to research Grady-Whites more, and optioned out a new 2021 208 that I was told could be shipped by September. I added the following options:

-Hardtop with aft rod holders
-Seaglass Gelcoat color
-Yamaha 200 DEC (Electronic throttle)
-Ivory front, side, and back drop curtains
-Freshwater washdown
-Cockpit bolsters
-Garmin electronics package with 942xs+ That would be flush mounted with starboard rather than using the glovebox, GT23-TM transducer, radio with 8’ antenna
-handihead with overboard discharge
-Aluminum Trailer

My 208 is pricing out at about $97k, plus maybe another $5k to get it to Hawaii.
Now is this 208 worth nearly $25k more than the Striper? I am not sure, but I think I’d feel more confident in it holding up over decades of use and holding some of the resale (we all know buying a new boat is an awful investment) however that could be a substantial difference in what either boat is valued at in 20 years.

I do love the Grady, but there are some perks to the 200WA. The 200WA has the side channels funneling overboard, so when you take some water on the bow it pushed overboard rather than right onto those mid jump seats and the deck. Although the 208 has a larger fishing area on the stern, the 200WA seems to be wider in the helm area and roomier in the cabin. Another con to the 208, is honestly it’a dated. Yes, Grady has upgraded the materials and there is no wood anymore in the hull at all, but it’s essentially to their boats from the 90’s, and in some ways it kind of shows. The Striper although arguably lower quality, just has a “newer” look to it. It’s amenities are more designed around modern things such as a huge area for flush mounting any electronics versus the dated glovebox.

I’m 99% sure I’m going with the Grady, but it has been a tough choice. I’ll be doing some overnight “camping” trips to outer islands but mostly short day trips with friends to troll or just cruise around. I think I’ll end up loving the Grady. There is no perfect boat, but a 20’, easy to trailer, will fit in my driveway, sturdy, open ocean worthy, easy to fish and clean, with a cabin, hopefully the 208 will make me happy for decades.

seasick

Reaction score
If you expect to have the boat for 'decades' the Grady would be a better choice in my opinion

Reactions: Koakine88

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looks like the nearest dealer is on the mainland. Who are you going through?

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Our first Grady was a 17' boat, so it wasn't so much more expensive than other boats in 1992. The boat was great for a 17, but the follow up from both the dealer and the factory was exceptional. We got the 208 in 1995. Loved that boat. After ten years, your point about holding its value was true for us. So our cost of ownership wasn’t really any higher than some of the other boats we saw at boat shows.

We have kept going back to Grady's not just because of the boats, but because of the way the manufacturer and dealer network supports their product after the sale. In our experience, they won't let you be unhappy.

I know I sound like a Grady commercial. But there is a reason why we have have gone back to Grady three times. And our fourth and current boat, the 282, likely would have been another new Grady if they still made them.

Rob

Last edited:

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I love my GW 208 for the same reasons - "a 20’, easy to trailer, will fit in my driveway, sturdy, open ocean worthy, easy to fish and clean, with a cabin".

You will not regret buying it, you may regret buying the Striper (although I have not ridden on one). The GW will be easier to sell as well.

Good luck!

Shane9052

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
When I contacted Grady White to order my boat they referred me to two places Schock in Ventura and Central Valley Marine in San Jose. Went with Central cause Danny was really on it and was a lot cheaper. Both me and my friend got our boats from Central. They ship from Oakland

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Stripers aren’t bad but the Grady will handle our water better. We fish 3 normally and the cabin gets stuffed full of gear but there’s still enough space for someone to take a nap. Resale won’t be a problem but you won’t want to go bigger unless you have full time crew to fish a Yellowfin/etc.

There are a ton of modifications I’d make from the factory to have the boat dialed in for how we fish here that would be easier and cheaper to do on the initial build. You have my contact info via PM so we can discuss offline.

Reactions: Shane9052