Captain and 1st mate armrest are nasty!

Throttle1971

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I am getting cushions redone but what do I do about armrests? They are full of mildew and stains and will not come clean. My boat is a 2006 232 Gulfstream.

Reactions: Oceantroller

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
There are rubber covers that work but they love to grab tee shits. They are crazy expensive too. Soem people have covers made, some use a vinyl spray paint. I just use an off white pair on ankle sock and they work great. When they get dirty just thow them in the wash.
View media item 84

Reactions: Meanwhile

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’m in the same boat * drum roll * with the armrests on my 2004 GW 228 Seafarer. I think personally I’ll probably just take them off and leave them off as doing so makes for more room moving about the cockpit area. That, and I’ve never really slouched back in the seat before or used the arm rests that often on any of my other previous boats. Long story, short... I think they just get in the way more often than not.

Last edited:

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have a 2004 Gulfstream and have used deck hull cleaner on the arm rests and it works great.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I second the almond colored socks for armrest covers. No passengers have ever noticed the socks.

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Starbright deck and hull cleaner spray on give a little scrub hose off repeat if needed

rlefevre

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I took my arm rest s off much better without more room and you can sit in 2 positions

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Peahead

Reaction score
Grady apparently recommends Magic Eraser - this from a past thread on topic:

Strega Lila

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I am getting cushions redone but what do I do about armrests? They are full of mildew and stains and will not come clean. My boat is a 2006 232 Gulfstream.
I have a 2004 232 and use white ankle socks which work great. Just remove, wash and put back on.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I took my arm rest s off much better without more room and you can sit in 2 positions
Agree completely. I'm about 6'2" and 275lbs, my uncle that I went fishing with last Friday is about 6'4" and probably close to the same weight. On a 228 Seafarer with only an 8' beam, I noticed my shirt snagging almost every time I walked by and think it would give you a bit more space just taking them off. At least, that's what I plan on doing and see how I like it. If I don't, I'll just throw them back on.

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Do a search on this forum. There have been a number of solutions offered with before and after pics.

One poster recommended a bleach solution, although I don't recall the proportion of bleach. He and others had good luck with that method.

After doing that, I sprayed mine with SEM Vinyl Coat Flexible Coating M25073 Off-White. That worked well for me.

But again, I found that by doing a search on the forum. It's a common problem and there are a number of recommended solutions.

Rob

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Do a search on this forum. There have been a number of solutions offered with before and after pics.

One poster recommended a bleach solution, although I don't recall the proportion of bleach. He and others had good luck with that method.

After doing that, I sprayed mine with SEM Vinyl Coat Flexible Coating M25073 Off-White. That worked well for me.

But again, I found that by doing a search on the forum. It's a common problem and there are a number of recommended solutions.

Rob
Rob, since you point out the previous discussions, can you provide a pic of your painted armrests and when you did it? I would be willing to try this because bleaching doesn't help much when the factory finish deteriorates to a certain point.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Tom: Sure. Below is a pic of one arm painted and one not yet painted. I painted the arms this past January. They have held up pretty well. One has a scratch in the paint. Not terribly worried about that. I'll just take remove the arm and apply another coat.

mSWPcHy.jpg

Rob

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Tom: Sure. Below is a pic of one arm painted and one not yet painted. I painted the arms this past January. They have held up pretty well. One has a scratch in the paint. Not terribly worried about that. I'll just take remove the arm and apply another coat.

mSWPcHy.jpg

Rob
Rob, definitely looks good. Also you show the unpainted one where the original finish has deteriorated. My point was even after bleaching these they still look bad so that is why I am interested in painting these.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yes. Wherever mold is the issue, try the suggestions for dealing with the mold, not the paint. I followed one of the bleach processes to provide a clean arm before painting. But I never did have mold. I bought a boat that had sat out in the weather with no care and the vinyl was simply deteriorated.

But even after painting, they are still a place in the boat that gets dirty easily. So some of the suggestions about socks, etc., might come in handy when a bunch of guys are on the boat and it it is a successful day of fishing.

Rob

ttles714

Reaction score
I painted mine ... they came out pretty good and are lasting

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yes. Wherever mold is the issue, try the suggestions for dealing with the mold, not the paint. I followed one of the bleach processes to provide a clean arm before painting. But I never did have mold. I bought a boat that had sat out in the weather with no care and the vinyl was simply deteriorated.

But even after painting, they are still a place in the boat that gets dirty easily. So some of the suggestions about socks, etc., might come in handy when a bunch of guys are on the boat and it it is a successful day of fishing.

Rob
I have

Tdblanchard

Reaction score
Website
www.dameronfarm.com
Rob, definitely looks good. Also you show the unpainted one where the original finish has deteriorated. My point was even after bleaching these they still look bad so that is why I am interested in painting these.

mSWPcHy.jpg

Rob
What kind of paint did you use?
I ordered replacement arm rests from Pomplamette and they’re taking a while…

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
TD: I used SEM Vinyl Coat Flexible Coating M25073 Off-White. It is mentioned in post no. 11. It isn't my discovery, but I have been happy with it.

Rob

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady