Chart plotter and battery wiring question

JAdams1

Reaction score
I all, I have (2) Interstate deep cycle marine batteries (new this spring) connected to my rotary selector switch. I alternate using battery 1 and battery 2 every trip, charging system working. The chart plotter is wired to the main power buss (7.5 amp fused). When I restart the engine after drifting, the chart plotter reboots. Do I need to dedicate one battery as a house battery and power the chart plotter from that source. I like alternating the batteries so I know they are in good working order and they get charged when I am running. Any thoughts? Thanks.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Deep cycle batteries do not make good starting batteries. If they are not over built capacity wise the voltage drop will be quite a bit more than a regular starting battery. I have a bank of each type and start on the "starting" battery and use the deep cycle for house loads.

Reactions: Doc Stressor

seasick

Reaction score
Wasn't this issue 'talked' about in a different post? I remember responding to the question and suggested a few tests be done.
Just in case this is a new post, in summary my assessment is:
What changed? Was it just a new starter or were other things like batteries changed.
Did you check all battery connections for corrosion or loose lugs?
Have you made sure that the large gauge cable that connects the negative terminals of both batteries together is still installed?
What if any other wiring changes have you made.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Wasn't this issue 'talked' about in a different post? I remember responding to the question and suggested a few tests be done.
What changed? Was it just a new starter or were other things like batteries changed.
Have you made sure that the large gauge cable that connects the negative terminals of both batteries together is still installed?

You did! I posted the link above with what my end “resolution” was

JAdams1

Reaction score
No changes. Just looking for options to consider. Connections are clean. No wiring changes. Wired from factory but I will check. Thanks

JAdams1

Reaction score

JAdams1

Reaction score
I found this as a solution to keep my chart plotter from rebooting on the Raymarine forums that I am considering. It is a momentary 12VDC UPS that provides 12V only during cranking. This will allow me to alternate between battery 1 and 2 on subsequent trips and always have a backup battery to get me home.

This is the UPS.

Here is the wiring schematic.

wiring schematic.jpg

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Mini_Add-A-Battery_Kit_-_65A
maybe mount the switch under the gunnel so you don't have to open hatches all the time.....

Also..not a fan of using straight deep cycle batteries for starting large motors...when time come to replace I would go with Dual Purpose marine batteries.

JAdams1

Reaction score
Mini_Add-A-Battery_Kit_-_65A
maybe mount the switch under the gunnel so you don't have to open hatches all the time.....

Also..not a fan of using straight deep cycle batteries for starting large motors...when time come to replace I would go with Dual Purpose marine batteries.
I did not know there were dual purpose batteries, I thought there were only two, cranking and deep cycle. My batteries are new so I will adapt them with a solution. Thanks for the feedback.

Bayhouse

Reaction score
Forget another device that can go bad and just put a dedicated house battery into the mix. I hate how Grady designed (at least the old) systems of sharing a start/house battery. I went with a BEP switch and 2 large AGM batts for my house bank (200+ aH) and dedicated start batts for each engine.

JAdams1

Reaction score
Problem fixed. I started out checking all connections and found some corrosion on my 40A breaker which feeds my buss behind the helm that the chart plotter gets power from. I cleaned both terminals and applied a thin coat of silver conductive paste on all parts. The chart plotter no longer reboots when I restart my engine.

IMG_2558.jpgIMG_2557.jpg

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for sharing. I have a different design than yours with the 40a breaker but mine looks in bad shape and I’m going to just replace it. I’ll probably start a thread asking for input as I came across a few different types and not sure of the pros/cons of each.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Thanks for sharing. I have a different design than yours with the 40a breaker but mine looks in bad shape and I’m going to just replace it. I’ll probably start a thread asking for input as I came across a few different types and not sure of the pros/cons of each.
the red button sucks ..get rid of it...get what is shown in the picture

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer