Cockpit drains...

bartoma

Reaction score
I have about decided that I don't want to mess with the ones that are already there - they are old and the bar spanning the opening is broken on 2 out of 4, but I just don't feel like trying to fool with them and the drain tubes...

Has anyone identified a good stainless screen or grate that one could epoxy/install over the mouth of these things to screen out junk?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
There are multiple discussions about this topic in "General Discussion" part of the forum. Here are a couple of the more recent ones, of which the second link has a few more threads as well as several more pictures and ideas as to what you might want to do. I admittedly forget to look in this section of the forum, it might be a better idea to post in the "General Discussion" part of the forum as it seems to get quite a bit more traffic.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have not specifically done that, but I would imagine that there would be something at HD or Lowes that could do the job. Measure the size of your opening. I would put it in with a couple small dabs of silicone instead of epoxy so it's not as permanent.

dbiscayne

Reaction score
might be able to contact gemlux and see if they'll sell any of their deck drain covers without the fitting

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I second the fact that depending on the age of the boat, if those deck drains are damaged I bet the hoses are worse. Im just starting this project after putting it off last year. When I seen the condition of the hoses I almost threw up. I'm not joking, I broke out in a sweat thinking all the times I went offshore last year. Deck drains were the least of my concerns at that point.

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I found at home depot a strainer for a bar sink. maybe 1 1/2 diameter. ?? small stainless. Perfect fit for the floor drains on my chris craft

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ok not to side track thread but just a little update. Getting those hoses off the thru hull was a PITA!!!. Had to use a vibratory tool. Nothing else worked. I originally was going to just take the hoses out along with the thru Hulls, but the thru Hulls but seemed to be bedded in 5200. So I left the thru hulls in place(they were in good condition surprisingly) and had to cut the hose off from the inside. Ridiculously hard on the starboard side even with a access plate installed. The decks drains came out super easy, just be careful for shards of plastic as you hammer it out. Fyi hoses were only held together by the internal wire wrap.