Cockpit floor sealer

Srcika300

Grady White Model
Marlin
I have a 2004 Marlin 300 and I pulled up the cockpit sole to check the tanks connections and hoses. All looked great everything was extremely dry. I cleaned off all the old sealant from around both surfaces of the sole and floor and now I am ready to put it back down. Grady white says to use boatlife almond or beige (neither of which I can find). What is the best sealant for this application. I can tell you after 15 years the sealant I removed was in remarkable shape. Still flexible and really difficult to remove.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Grady White Model
Seafarer
I've had good luck with GE Silicone II in Almond. Available at Lowe's. Just did mine a few weeks ago after fuel tank replacement and all new lines. I will also use painters tape around the perimeter for a cleaner joint. Smooth caulk with finger and pull tape before it starts setting up. Clean edges.

20170809_180805.jpg

el jefe

Don't forget to take a small cup filled with water and a few splashes of dawn. Wet your finger and then smooth out caulk lines.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Grady White Model
Islander
I've had good luck with GE Silicone II in Almond. Available at Lowe's. Just did mine a few weeks ago after fuel tank replacement and all new lines. I will also use painters tape around the perimeter for a cleaner joint. Smooth caulk with finger and pull tape before it starts setting up. Clean edges.
THIS ^^^^

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Grady White Model
Offshore
If you don't plan on opening it up for another 15 years, then definitely go with a superior sealant like the BoatLife products. But if you're going to start opening it up every few years to check on things, then the GE stuff is MORE than adequate for the job and less expensive. I'm a huge fan of the Boatlife stuff (been using for at least 15 years on MANY project and our shop uses it almost exclusively), but the GE stuff will be just fine for this application.

Grady White Model
Marlin
Thanks for the replies. I have the GE product in hand. I suspect in 5 years I will be back to reinspect the tanks/hoses if not sooner when I repower.