Cockpit floor sealer

Srcika300

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a 2004 Marlin 300 and I pulled up the cockpit sole to check the tanks connections and hoses. All looked great everything was extremely dry. I cleaned off all the old sealant from around both surfaces of the sole and floor and now I am ready to put it back down. Grady white says to use boatlife almond or beige (neither of which I can find). What is the best sealant for this application. I can tell you after 15 years the sealant I removed was in remarkable shape. Still flexible and really difficult to remove.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've had good luck with GE Silicone II in Almond. Available at Lowe's. Just did mine a few weeks ago after fuel tank replacement and all new lines. I will also use painters tape around the perimeter for a cleaner joint. Smooth caulk with finger and pull tape before it starts setting up. Clean edges.

20170809_180805.jpg

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Don't forget to take a small cup filled with water and a few splashes of dawn. Wet your finger and then smooth out caulk lines.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I've had good luck with GE Silicone II in Almond. Available at Lowe's. Just did mine a few weeks ago after fuel tank replacement and all new lines. I will also use painters tape around the perimeter for a cleaner joint. Smooth caulk with finger and pull tape before it starts setting up. Clean edges.

THIS ^^^^

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you don't plan on opening it up for another 15 years, then definitely go with a superior sealant like the BoatLife products. But if you're going to start opening it up every few years to check on things, then the GE stuff is MORE than adequate for the job and less expensive. I'm a huge fan of the Boatlife stuff (been using for at least 15 years on MANY project and our shop uses it almost exclusively), but the GE stuff will be just fine for this application.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd go with the GE Silicone II almond. Does the job, cuts out easy and you'll be doing that every winterization for the aft deck.

Bdsp1234

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
There is a reason GW recommends Boatlife. It is a superior products.

Fishtales

Reaction score
maybe, but you are in and out of the rear hatch every season to winterize, so it really doesn't matter. you have to cut the stuff out every year.

Srcika300

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks for the replies. I have the GE product in hand. I suspect in 5 years I will be back to reinspect the tanks/hoses if not sooner when I repower.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
The GE stuff works just fine. It does dry rather quickly. Clean as you go for a smooth finish and less likely to hold dirt.

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
After you run your caulk line you use your finger (preferably in a glove) dipped in the water/dawn solution. Smooth out the caulk line.

seasick

Reaction score
I use the water wet finger for water based sealants and an alcohol wet finger for silicone based sealants