Cockpit heat ideas 208 Adventure

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’d like to see the milk crate setup you have for it.
My little Overnighter gets rocked around most days in striper season. I’d like to use one of these but certainly don’t want it tipping over. That brings up another point, these things have auto shut offs when tipped. Do you find yours shutting itself off in a rocking boat ?

You'll have to wait a month or so. Boat is in South Carolina right now. Going down the end of January to get it. Heater is in the cuddy. The milk crate is a plastic one with side cut out so it doesn't melt. Heater sits in it, nothing fancy.

Reactions: Lt.Mike

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
You'll have to wait a month or so. Boat is in South Carolina right now. Going down the end of January to get it. Heater is in the cuddy. The milk crate is a plastic one with side cut out so it doesn't melt. Heater sits in it, nothing fancy.
Guess I can picture what your describing.
Thanks

232Grady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I know this has been dead for a while, but I took some pictures today and will try to help other DIY.
My Webasto system was bought from Sure Marine in Ballard Washington, ALL parts, they are great to deal with.
With this system and small boat, you must step back and lay out your ENTIRE install! Did I mention I'm ANAL and like it to look factory installed. I also know if it fails, I am the mechanic and will be doing the repair. A 90 degree hole saw is required!

I anchor everywhere and explore the West Coast from Campbell River to Alaska.
I have a 2004 232 and have built it to accommodate sustainable "camping and Chinook fishing". We go to "town" once a week for fuel, ice, fresh vegetables, beer. I have a cooler which I call the freezer! After town when I set it up, I can keep "what ever" frozen for 1 week(opening once a day).
No inverter, no gen, Balmar to watch battery's!
SO, that was to explain my use and why I installed Diesel Heat(kerosene). You will not be sorry! I fish a few derby's, when you come down to the dock at O430 and your WHOLE helm is dry/warm, watch other's wiping and living with the moisture all morning.
I'm not bragging, I just hate to see people try to justify propane/butane heat, it's a liquid! My system has been in for 15 years, works as advertised. One note, "start your furnace once a month" for trouble free!!!!

I have included pictures and will try to explain here, if you have questions PM me. Stay safe, cheers. BC is open and just lowered the test requirements for entry!

Some of these pictures they say are to large, I am going ahead and trying. If this does not work out PM me for direct pictures, sorry.

#1 Control and fuel gauge
#2 Starboard side furnace mount with Starboard Grady color cover
#3 Intake air from Starboard side "toward aft from furnace"
#4 Window vents inside console
#5 Window vents
#6 Outlet under helm
#7 Outlet for Wife
#8 Last outlet in System in cabin "always open"
#9 Fuel Fill
#10 Fuel Line
#11 Fuel Pump
#12 Fuel Tank 3 Gal
#13 Fuel Vent

Jim

Attachments

• Last vent in system always open.JPG
    Last vent in system always open.JPG
    864 KB · Views: 41

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I know this has been dead for a while, but I took some pictures today and will try to help other DIY.
My Webasto system was bought from Sure Marine in Ballard Washington, ALL parts, they are great to deal with.
With this system and small boat, you must step back and lay out your ENTIRE install! Did I mention I'm ANAL and like it to look factory installed. I also know if it fails, I am the mechanic and will be doing the repair. A 90 degree hole saw is required!

I anchor everywhere and explore the West Coast from Campbell River to Alaska.
I have a 2004 232 and have built it to accommodate sustainable "camping and Chinook fishing". We go to "town" once a week for fuel, ice, fresh vegetables, beer. I have a cooler which I call the freezer! After town when I set it up, I can keep "what ever" frozen for 1 week(opening once a day).
No inverter, no gen, Balmar to watch battery's!
SO, that was to explain my use and why I installed Diesel Heat(kerosene). You will not be sorry! I fish a few derby's, when you come down to the dock at O430 and your WHOLE helm is dry/warm, watch other's wiping and living with the moisture all morning.
I'm not bragging, I just hate to see people try to justify propane/butane heat, it's a liquid! My system has been in for 15 years, works as advertised. One note, "start your furnace once a month" for trouble free!!!!
Sounds like a great system Jim, Looking forward to seeing the photos. Hope that image resizer works for you. Would also like to hear about your boat camping / fishing trips into Canada. I have dreams of doing that someday. I'm in Seattle as well and boat camp when I can.

232Grady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Trying again with pictures

Attachments

• Control and fuel gauge-800x600.JPG
    Control and fuel gauge-800x600.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Starboard side panel covering funance-800x600.JPG
    Starboard side panel covering funance-800x600.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Exhaust-800x600.JPG
    Exhaust-800x600.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 59
  • window vents-800x600.JPG
    window vents-800x600.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Window vents 2-800x600.JPG
    Window vents 2-800x600.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Outlet under helm-800x600.JPG
    Outlet under helm-800x600.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Outlet for wife-800x600.JPG
    Outlet for wife-800x600.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Last vent in system always open-800x600.JPG
    Last vent in system always open-800x600.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Fuel Fill-800x600.JPG
    Fuel Fill-800x600.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 55
  • Fuel Tank 3gal-800x600.JPG
    Fuel Tank 3gal-800x600.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 55

232Grady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Last Pictures

Attachments

• Fuel line copper-800x600.JPG
    Fuel line copper-800x600.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Fuel pump-800x600.JPG
    Fuel pump-800x600.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Tank vent-800x600.JPG
    Tank vent-800x600.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Tank vent access-800x600.JPG
    Tank vent access-800x600.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Intake Hose-800x600.JPG
    Intake Hose-800x600.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: hanke777

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Tidy install!! Is this on a 208 or on your Gulfstream? In any case beauty job!

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm amazed you fit all those ducts in there. My friend had a cheap Chinese diesel heater in his 231, loves it but he doesn't have a single duct. It just blasts from under the port gunnel. Heats the cockpit fine but the vents seems next level. I'm sure your boat is a pleasure to be on during the winter... and Fall and Spring and sometimes even summer in the PNW.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Trying again with pictures
232 Grady,

How did you run ducts from the port side to the starboard side helm? Under the deck or in the cuddy. I'd like to do that without cutting up my deck. Got any photos of that?
Also, where did you mount your heater unit, didn't see that.

thanks?

232Grady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Picture 2/10 is Starboard side next to your right knee, that is the "Starboard" I used to cover the heater after install. Fresh air vent runs down Starboard side Aft to cockpit (hold it short-so it does not stick out). Exhaust is out Starboard side see picture. Heat goes under dash to under steering wheel-T then side wall facing port seat-T then goes up into "Dash electronic box" for two vents(see picture) then to cabin(this vent will not close) per instructions.
Fuel tank is center, just infront of rear bench seat. My very back seat facing forward, lift up hatch(see bilge pump, wires, etc) stick head in that hatch and look forward( that's fuel tank). I have factory hatch there, it is just behind my main fuel tank. The inline fuel pump has pumping height restriction, not distance. I have had zero problems.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Dress warm. A combustible heater and a boat - what could possibly go wrong...

232Grady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Gas in a boat, what could go wrong? Electricity in a boat, what could go wrong? Common sense and preflight !!!!!

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Gas in a boat, what could go wrong? Electricity in a boat, what could go wrong? Common sense and preflight !!!!!
Thanks I’m definitely going to install one in my Seafarer. I just spent two nights at the coast on my friends C Dory in without his diesel heater we would’ve froze!

My Grady will never have a pilothouse, but it can have heat!