Cockpit heat ideas 208 Adventure

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am with you. I have lived in the PNW for 45 plus years and love being outside = layering. Trying to make it as cozier for my girlfriend :) I am thinking Mr. heater for her and 12v window defroster for me.
Indeed... that's why I got a 228 Seafarer with a hardtop to keep myself, family and friends out of the elements like the rain or sun. I can deal with the wind but the combination of wind, rain and/or cold can take its toll after awhile. I have a pretty fair complexion so it doesn't take me too terribly long to get sunburned if I'm out fishing for a couple hours and it's sunny. A couple of the guys on the Arima forums that I used to be a part of used a brand of heater called Webasto that uses a separated diesel tank to fuel it but have heard they can get somewhat expensive. I think the heater alone is around $750, although I haven't done a ton of research on them so I'm not sure what else is needed. If I ever went to a larger sized boat I'd probably make sure it had A/C in the cabin first over heat as I'd use the A/C much more often but heat wouldn't be a terrible thing to have either.

Last edited:

ttles714

Reaction score
Someone enlighten me please >>>> CO = Carbon Monoxide and CO2= Carbon Dioxide>> I always thought that combustion of any Fossil fuel caused an emission of carbon monoxide... a deadly gas that removes oxygen from the blood . My understanding is that most of these heaters are 99% efficient meaning they produce very little CO, ( thus being advertised as "non vented") and also that they have an O2 sensor that will shut the heater down if the Oxygen in the make up air gets too low. .. The post about a propane heater producing carbon dioxide has me confused. .. Someone please enlighten me....thanks

seasick

Reaction score
In theory a hydrocarbon fuel when combusted will produce two compounds, water (H2O) and Carbon Monoxide, CO2) in reality 100% efficient combustion is not always achieved and as a result other compounds are produced. Ignoring the nitrogen compounds for this discussion, the most likely byproduct is carbon monoxide. 100% percent efficient combustion requires sufficient oxygen. For most common heating equipment that means that it is important to supply fresh air and to exhaust combustion gasses.
In the heater in the cabin scenario, that may not be the case. As the available oxygen concentration declines, more CO will be produced. Your BBQ propane grill is fine for outdoor use but can kill you if used in the garage. It's not that their combustion is 100% efficient, it isn't, but rather that outdoors the exhaust gases are dispersed and there is a copious supply of new air.

I am not familiar with heaters that us an O2 sensor and will look into that topic but my initial reaction was that I would really need to know the CO concentration and no so much the O2.

ttles714

Reaction score
Giving this some more thought , I would think the following statements would be accurate ....
There should be sufficient oxygen supply, as the helm curtains are not air tight.>>>.. Most of these new heaters are vent-less and advertise a 99 % combustion efficiency. .. If the heater is running properly it should emit almost no carbon monoxide (CO). >>> A window cracked open in the cabin should be sufficient to maintain an oxygen supply in the cabin>>> Get a Vent-less heater with an O2 sensor and a tip over sensor... >>> both those sensors will shut the heater down if activated. .. A CO detector is a VERY SMART idea... I would say a MUST !!.. A knowledge of early CO poisoning and a posted chart of symptoms would also be a smart move. I have used these non vented heaters in rooms , garages, and even in stores with no issues.. They burn clean with no odor and produce a lot of BTU's. Keep in mind that CO is odorless ... Without a detector you will never know its there .... Also be cautious of any possible propane leak.. Propane is heaver than air and will settle on the cockpit floor or bilge .. With all that said ... On an older Marlin that I had, I set one into the stainless sink in the cabin ... I used it when we were fishing for stripper in the North East ... It was a freezing cold night ... the only problem was everyone wanted to stay in the helm/cabin and no one wanted to fish !!!!! My recollection was I went through a half dozen propane canisters ...!!! The Marlin had AC/Heat but no Generator .... My other option and maybe yours too would be electric heat and a small Honda type generator secured somewhere in the open cockpit of the boat ... maybe strapped to one of those aft seats on your 208 ???? A ceramic electric heater with a tip sensor would fit the bill ... 1500 Watts would give you about 5200 BTUs.

ttles714

Reaction score
Comment on the Electric windshield defroster >>>> 1500 Watts will give you about 5200 BTUs.... Watts = volts multiplied by Amps>>>> So a 12 volt DC windshield defroster that draws 20 Amps will give you 240 watts.... about 820 BTU's .... Not a whole lot of heat

rockpool

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
In theory a hydrocarbon fuel when combusted will produce two compounds, water (H2O) and Carbon Monoxide, CO2)
You meant Carbon Dioxide. Carbon monoxide is only created during incomplete combustion, which is why (working) propane heaters don't need to be vented, and natural gas ones do.

seasick

Reaction score
You meant Carbon Dioxide. Carbon monoxide is only created during incomplete combustion, which is why (working) propane heaters don't need to be vented, and natural gas ones do.
My error. I got the symbol correct but the name is totally wrong:(
I need to better proof read my posts!

Reactions: wspitler

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Any fossil fuel will produce CO as a by product of combustion... gasoline, diesel, propane, natural gas, etc. The amount of CO produced is dependent on how "complete" the burn is and the fuel being burned (some naturally burn more efficiently, like propane). Even a properly functioning propane heater will still produce CO... just a lot less.

The same for CO2 - they all emit it - just in varying levels.

232Grady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Webasto Diesel Heaters 3 gal tank(use kerosene-no smell) last me 1 month! Mount right hand side next driver, vent 1 under steering wheel, #2 left of console pointing to wife, #3&4 windshield, last vent(always open per instructions) cabin, (below access door on backside of console).
Sure Marine Ballard, WA www.suremarineservice.com
Look at the kits, they have it all and a great resource for DIY!
I (my wife) would not be without one and they are SAFE!

Reactions: Halfhitch

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree with 232Grady. I worked on the water in SE Alaska for years and we had good luck with Webasto and Wallas heaters in our crew boats. 232 is right about using kerosene instead of diesel. Diesel stinks too much for a small space and it soots up the spark plug causing ignition to fail. Kerosene solves that problem also.

seasick

Reaction score
Those heaters are very good. Note that they are exhausted to the outside. The 208 does not have a lot of space under the deck and installation can be tricky. Take a look at one maual to see what is involved;

When you look at similar systems, you will see units that cost $2,000 or more and you may find imported knock-offs that cost 200 bucks. I strongly advise that you fight the temptation to get one of those heaters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halfhitch

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Those heaters are very good. Note that they are exhausted to the outside. The 208 does not have a lot of space under the deck and installation can be tricky. Take a look at one maual to see what is involved;

When you look at similar systems, you will see units that cost $2,000 or more and you may find imported knock-offs that cost 200 bucks. I strongly advise that you fight the temptation to get one of those heaters.
I should have also mentioned that those heaters do a good job but they are to be used when the people onboard are awake and alert. No napping in the cabin while the heater is running . Not worth the risk.

seasick

Reaction score
The good heaters don't exhaust and combustion gases into the cabin. In addition they get fresh air for combustion from the outside ( there are fittings that go through the hull)
A CO detector is a must and when properly installed I wouldn't be worried. Note that the exhaust gases even though vented to the outside can vent back towards the sleeping quarters depending on the winds. The CO detector would alert you. These type of sealed heat exchanger systems need space and clearances to be installed and operated. Some components get very hot. I have my doubts that there is a good space in the 208 hull to allow a proper installation.

ttles714

Reaction score
There are a lot of thoughts on this thread, with some installations more permanent than temporary or portable ... A lot of good thoughts .. .. I would appreciate knowing what you decide on....

Reaction score
I jave 226. I went with the Planer model a couple years ago and really appreciate it. If could afford, may have gone Wallace, but happy with the results of the planer. Built a mount and cover plate out of some extra SS lying around. Put a T in vent behind SS plate so heats cockpit and cuddy. Total cost was $500. Put the tank in the stern port side storage under seat. Heaters4you.com

Attachments

• 20191117_080632.jpg
    20191117_080632.jpg
    551.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 20191122_174516.jpg
    20191122_174516.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: hanke777

232Grady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Sure Marine Ballard, a three gallon tank(will last 3 weeks), we all burn kerosene (no diesel smell), vent to cabin, windshield, her hands and just under steering wheel! You(she will thank me forever)!LOL

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I use a Mr Heater little buddy in a modified milk crate so it doesn't turn over. Keeps it toasty inside the enclosure, especially if you have some sunshine to go with it.

View attachment 23042
I’d like to see the milk crate setup you have for it.
My little Overnighter gets rocked around most days in striper season. I’d like to use one of these but certainly don’t want it tipping over. That brings up another point, these things have auto shut offs when tipped. Do you find yours shutting itself off in a rocking boat ?

Reactions: Ky Grady

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’d like to see the milk crate setup you have for it.
My little Overnighter gets rocked around most days in striper season. I’d like to use one of these but certainly don’t want it tipping over. That brings up another point, these things have auto shut offs when tipped. Do you find yours shutting itself off in a rocking boat ?
Lots of people use the Mr. Heater around here, including me. Most people say to disable the tip sensor. I haven't on mine yet and YES it does turn off when tipped on a rocking boat. I screwed mine to a board, don't need anything else.

Reactions: Lt.Mike