Comparing 330 Express Years 2004 and 2008

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have been looking for a 330 Express for a while now. I know they made some changes in 2008, including raising the helm, increasing the size of the windshield, better access to the generator, and putting the rocker switches for the washdown, etc. in the cockpit. What I want to know, from anyone who is in the know, is whether the changes made to the 2008s make the boat significantly better. The 2008s are tens of thousands more than a 2004-06s. I don't want to spend that kind of extra money on a few bells and whistles, but I also don't want to spend a ton of money on an '04-'06 and sit around wishing I had popped for a newer boat. Anyone have experience with pre- and post- 2008 330s?

Oh, and I am not concerned about power as all the pre-2008s I am looking out already have 300s on them....which raises another question - would I be better off with an older boat with 300s or a newer boat with 350s (which most of the newer ones seem to have). So many questions!

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

seasick

Reaction score
I can't comment on the advantages or differences for the two models but... I am not a fan of the 350s and would avoid them. Just too many mechanical issues, some are quite serious. I have seem Express 330s with 350s on the market for relatively cheap prices. There is a reason.

Reactions: Zebulon

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I would do research on the 350's maintenance schedule - 300s seem to be the go to engine

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Yes, I am aware of the issues with the 350s, which is why I mentioned it. I guess I kinda derailed my own thread. So, with that said, anyone with experience know if the changes to the 2008s make them that much better that the pre-2008s? In other words, if it is assumed they had the same engines on them, would a 2008 be worth significantly more than a 2004-2007 vintage 330?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a 2007. I would like the better access to the genset and higher seating, etc. I would pay extra for it, maybe $10-15K. I would not pay $50K. I still have the original F250's that are maybe a bit underpowered, but bullet proof. I can't justify a repower to get only slightly better performance.

Reactions: HMBJack

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
I will start by saying I may be a little biased. I also do not have any experience with the pre 2008 models. Mine is a 2009 with the 350's and I love it! My wife's biggest complaint is storage in the cabin for when we do long trips. Luckily, we do not have guests or children usually, so the Aft cabin is storage. If we did, that would change things. A hanging locker would have been nice. Flywheel service already performed once. I am at ~ 450 hours. I love the boat and would not sell for anything under 180. I also could not really imagine having much less power. An older one just popped up locally with 225's. That to me seems a little under-powered, but it was only 87k. I have had so man y underpowered boats, to have one with "Ample" power is really nice. The generator access is not perfect, but from what I have seen/heard of the older ones, is way better now.

georgemjr

Reaction score
They have higher resale since they are the latest model with many upgrades. I own a 2007 because I can not afford a newer boat. If I could, I would enjoy the upgrades (step up into the v berth, higher windshield, gen access, wood cabinets, etc). For generator access, I usually leave my access panel unscrewed. I also put a piece of wax paper on the outside of the seam and then caulked it. Now the silicone only sticks to the hatch but still fills the seam and prevents water intrusion (for the most part). As far as power, I am of the mindset that bigger is better, but they really are very marginal gains. Not worth the coin in my opinion, but I am poor as mentioned at the beginning of the post. The 33 Express will run with all other boats in its class (Albermarle, carolina, pursuit) no matter the power.

Reactions: themikehyde

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think you'd get by with either :D. You likely can't have more fun in a newer one, but you will outlay a bit more for the updates....

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a 2002 330 with original F225's (approx 1,400 hours). I bought the boat in 2011 from the original owner. I used to keep the boat full of fuel, topping off prior to going offshore each time.

This year I started out with some old fuel so I decided to drain both tanks before adding any fresh fuel. Last week I had about 60 gallons in both tanks & I added 50 gal as we were only going 30 miles or so offshore.

When I kept the tanks full, I would run 26-28 mph (topping out at a max of 30 mph) burning between .80-1.2 gph - I tend to run between 4500-4700 rpm's. Lower gph were in 3'-4' seas.

Last week, seas were less than 2' and I was cruising 28-32 mph (4500-4700 rpm) with a burn rate of 1.2-1.4 gph. That extra gas weight makes a big difference with my setup. BTW, I topped out at 35 mph (after burning off a lot of the fuel) with burn rate still over 1.0 gph - this was in the river & no wind with two people on board.

I have gotten quite content with running the boat at 28-29 mph & the 225's get the boat up on plane quite quickly. Under powered, probably so but ok with me. That being said, when these engines finall crap out. I will be re-powering with 300's

ISLANDER 38

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Hi Guys ,new to the site, wasnt a Grady guy,have owned Blackfins and Regulators ,just sold my Baby 38ft Topaz Flybridge of 17 years,just purchased last month 2006-33 Express ,always on trailer ,covered shed, no bottom paint-2011 -300 Yamahas-love the Grady and the 300s- I run full fuel -4200 RPMs doing 25.4 knots- 4700 RPMs-30.5 knots-1.1 MPG- 4300 RPMs -doing 26.5 knots- I fish out of Palm Beach, most of the time Solo, easy boat to fish, im in the process of hinging the access to genny. Any questions I can help with fire away. I was buyin a 33 Blackfin Combi- but inboard diesel maintence is crazy ( have had by share) heatexchangers -aftercoolers- turbos- injectors -shafts-cutless bearings and it goes on and on-outboards are the way to go. 2006 -33 Express DON

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I'll be heading to look at an '04 this weekend. It's a first look and, if it looks good, a sea trial. If it goes farther than that, a surveyor will be engaged, but what should I keep an eye out for? Any issues that i can spot without special equipment? Definitely going to tap test around the vents for the water intrusion issue. Any other thoughts?

HMBJack

Reaction score
As stated above, I'd steer clear of ones with the 350's. That said, I fished a lot on a friend's 2013 330 with the F350's and those engines are Awesome - - but he's had a few issues with them. My old trusty 2006 has the bullet proof F250's (1,700 hours now). If, when, I repower, I will go with 300's for sure. As to bells and whistles difference between my 2006 Vs. my friend's 2013 - I'd say not worth the tens of thousands you'd pay to get them. Biggest difference is the windshield. The newer ones are just an improved design (i.e. Bigger) and I wish I had that kind of visibility. I do recommend a bow thruster as these boats sail a lot in any cross wind at the harbor.

Another friend of mine has a first generation 330 (2004 or 2003). It seems to be getting long in the tooth. For any used boat you look at, it's all about how the Owner maintained it. The older the boat, the more important this is. One simple test - take a flashlight and shine it in the bottom of the bilge (aft and center). THAT will tell you alot about the Owner. Do the same thing in the battery compartment. Clean? Not Clean? Standing water? Mold & Mildew? Smell? Crud in there? You know what I mean. Good luck!

georgemjr

Reaction score
That '06 is a gem, great find. I owned an '06 which I regrettably sold and regretted it enough that I bought an '07 to replace it. These are, by far, the best overall express one can own. The inboard diesels might be better strictly for canyon runs/fishing but they can't trim the motors up and back up to a beach. I love the boat. I hate the engine argument as they all seem relatively close in performance (upper 20's low 30's, 1.0-1.2) and they are faster than my friend's 32 Albermarle, even with the 250's. They will never be a Yellowfin with quads.

sling

Reaction score
I've been looking for a 33 as well. One feature that I really like on the 2008 and newer models is the fold-down ladder. I hate the Armstrong ladder mounted on the transom of older models. It's a great ladder, but you can't deploy it from teh water and it is somethig else to get lines tangled on. Visibility on teh newer models is also much improved.

Cregan13

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
No luck on my trip to see that '04. Not why I passed, but that genny access on those pre-2008s really does stink. Kinda leaning towards 08s and newer, but everyone I have seen has 350s on it.

ISLANDER 38

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
No luck on my trip to see that '04. Not why I passed, but that genny access on those pre-2008s really does stink. Kinda leaning towards 08s and newer, but everyone I have seen has 350s on it.[/QU All the 2008 and newer had 350s, I did the same search as you, I should have bought the 2008 in Point Pleasant NJ,tger asking $149,000 make offer 140,000 ,my buddy just repowered his with 350 Suzukis for 54,000, so at 200,000 you have higher windshield and new engines, if you find 2008 or newer repowered your over 200,000.