Comparing 330 Express Years 2004 and 2008

ISLANDER 38

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
That 2008 in NJ does have one new Power Head, so one to go at $20,000 installed and your ready to go at $160,000. Don- 2006 Express- Repowered 300 Yahamas.

ISLANDER 38

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
CREGAN ,there is a fix for the Genny Access , hinging them together, hers pics of my Buddies 33, Iam in the process of doing mineIMG_0536 (1).jpgIMG_0537.jpg

ISLANDER 38

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I think the 350s are the right power for the 33 Express, love mine also.

Reactions: themikehyde

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Not knowledgeable.. but that sure is a beautiful boat up there ;)

ISLANDER 38

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
CREGAN , CHECK OUT 2004 GRADY EXPRESS JUST LISTED ON HULL TRUTH, REPOWERED 300 YAHAMAS LESS THEN 200 HOURS

georgemjr

Reaction score
There are a lot of nice upgrades for the 08 and newer, but gen access isn't a big deal for me. just put the corner screws in (if any screws at all) and lift it out instead of hinge. Same access.

HMBJack

Reaction score
On the 2008's and above, those folding doors to access the genset leak water. Nothing's perfect I guess.

watashii

Reaction score
I would absolutely buy a 2008 or later. I have a 2005 330 Express. I'm 6'2", and I find that the upper windshield frame is directly in my line of sight. It SUCKS! I'm constantly either slouching down to look through the windshield or stretching upward to look through the Eisenglass. I do this all day long, and at the end of a long day on the water, my neck and back ache like hell. I would kill for that taller windshield.

The bilge access on the pre-2008 boats is a major problem too. I've gotten to the point where I no longer screw and caulk the deck portion of the hatch. I have to open it all the time. You can't even check the oil on the generator without pulling up the deck hatch. Without being caulked, it leaks rain water and salt water from the washdown into the bilge, and I just pump it out. Definitely not ideal.

I also would much prefer the folding ladder on the 2008 model. I spend some time out on that boat by myself and am not 100% sure I could get back on board without that ladder. A safety concern for sure.

One more thing I wish my boat had...chiller plates. When I bought the boat in 2010, I thought that was an unnecessary extravagance and didn't put much priority in them. I fish two or three times per week in the summer with a crew of 2-4 guys. I keep the helm drink box full of beer, water and soda, and it's constantly getting hot on the off days and then chilled again with ice on the days I fish. It's a pain in the ass. I also fish for giant bluefin tuna in the Gulf of Maine. I only get a fish about every second or third trip (at best!!). I keep 150 pounds of ice in that fish box which goes to waste every time I don't catch a fish. A chiller plate would keep that ice frozen until I need it. My boat's slip has shore power, so the chillers would run constantly, and I could run them offshore with my generator if I wanted.

All that being said, I do love my 330! I use it pretty hard (over 200 hours a year) and in some rough conditions and it's held up well these last ten years. I re-engined it with F300's in 2015 and really love that boat/motor combination. In my mind, a 2008, or later, boat with F300's (and chiller plates) would be the perfect boat.

Good luck in your search.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I’ve got an accepted offer on a ultra clean 2002 330 with 2016 Suzuki 250’s 89hrs and a 2016 Kohler Gen set 20 hrs. Also has new Furuno electronics in 2014. Survey is tomorrow. (Hoping for a good one). It’s a one owner inside stored boat with perfect maintenance. I am told these motors will give 1.25 mpg at 27mph. If it does that. I will be very happy. These Suzuki’s are the fly by wire controls with the backbone system. The Sea Tow operators have all switched to these motors. They also have the trolling function. Everyone in my company owns Suzuki’s including me, and we love them. It will also be nice to have the new throttle body fuel injected Gen set that runs off the main fuel tank. I had the carbureted version of the Kohler in my 33 Bertram and it was tough to start if it wasn’t run a lot. The 14 gal diesel tank on the newer boats will only give you 24hrs under load on the Panda.There are 2 2002 330’s for sale in Wilmington NC with fairly new 300 Suzuki’s. One is fished a lot with no Gen, and the other is nice but has the original Gen set. The Gen access is a bummer In the old boats. You need to have a newer Gen with that terrible access.The lounge seat height doesn’t bother us. We are putting a second helm seat in on the port side. The other problem with the older boats is that the anchor rode drops down to far forward and stacks up. They moved the windlass back to the deep area of the rope locker on the 08’s. Much better. I can easily refrigerate the fish box and drink cooler with a Sea Frost. As far as the windshield height. I prefer the profile look of the older one. I’m 6ft and it works perfect for me. Crossing my fingers on the survey. I really want this boat.

PrinceofThieves

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I’ve got an accepted offer on a ultra clean 2002 330 with 2016 Suzuki 250’s 89hrs and a 2016 Kohler Gen set 20 hrs. Also has new Furuno electronics in 2014. Survey is tomorrow. (Hoping for a good one). It’s a one owner inside stored boat with perfect maintenance. I am told these motors will give 1.25 mpg at 27mph. If it does that. I will be very happy. These Suzuki’s are the fly by wire controls with the backbone system. The Sea Tow operators have all switched to these motors. They also have the trolling function. Everyone in my company owns Suzuki’s including me, and we love them. It will also be nice to have the new throttle body fuel injected Gen set that runs off the main fuel tank. I had the carbureted version of the Kohler in my 33 Bertram and it was tough to start if it wasn’t run a lot. The 14 gal diesel tank on the newer boats will only give you 24hrs under load on the Panda.There are 2 2002 330’s for sale in Wilmington NC with fairly new 300 Suzuki’s. One is fished a lot with no Gen, and the other is nice but has the original Gen set. The Gen access is a bummer In the old boats. You need to have a newer Gen with that terrible access.The lounge seat height doesn’t bother us. We are putting a second helm seat in on the port side. The other problem with the older boats is that the anchor rode drops down to far forward and stacks up. They moved the windlass back to the deep area of the rope locker on the 08’s. Much better. I can easily refrigerate the fish box and drink cooler with a Sea Frost. As far as the windshield height. I prefer the profile look of the older one. I’m 6ft and it works perfect for me. Crossing my fingers on the survey. I really want this boat.
Good luck with the survey and purchase! I am curious to hear back if those cruise #'s pan out. Keep us posted.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Good luck with the survey and purchase! I am curious to hear back if those cruise #'s pan out. Keep us posted.
Will do. If the deal goes thru. I will be making the 800 mile trip up to SC from Naples, so I will know all about fuel economy! Grady is one of my oldest customers. I work with their engineers all the time. They told me the numbers are probably accurate.

thepenman

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I purchased a 08’ 330 about three months ago. Twin 350’s. Cruise easily at 27 knots. Love it. Paid a pretty penny. Had to do the manifolds. Now the engines are perfect. Should last many thousands of hours. Fresh water flush every time. Service every 100 hours. If I don’t have 300 hours more by the end of the year I’ll be shocked. Love being on her. Storage? What storage? Very minimal. I actually like the aft cabin better then the main cabin bed. I put a 32’ tv down there. Apple TV. Work it off my phone or a permanent hot spot. Y are the sea cocks below? Silly design. Live well toggle switch easily gets mistakenly turned off. I use duck tape so it doesn’t get hit off. Love the size of windshield. But the wiper not so good.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
How did you fit a 32' TV on a 33' boat? ;)

Still struggling with the storage on my 2003 - but getting more and more sorted out by the week. Hard to believe I've only had it 5 weeks.

Is the issue on the 350's exhaust manifolds? I thought it was just flywheels on those.

thepenman

Reaction score
Model
Express 330

Still struggling with the storage on my 2003 - but getting more and more sorted out by the week. Hard to believe I've only had it 5 weeks.

Is the issue on the 350's exhaust manifolds? I thought it was just flywheels on those.
Manifolds aren’t normally an issue. But mine needed to be changed. Everyone’s will need to be changed eventually. My boat is ten years old and never done. They were leaking. I caught it early. Because of the survey. I feel the aft cabin is a better location to sleep. The main bed is a weird shape I have not slept on the boat yet. So it’s tbd. I placed the 32” tv on the starboard side. Just enough space between the live well and bathroom wall. The live well reaches down into the aft cabin. I’ll post a pic next time I’m on the boat to take one.

thepenman

Reaction score
Model
Express 330

Attachments

• 43AA3C23-720A-47FB-899F-9A844A98C3AE.jpeg
    43AA3C23-720A-47FB-899F-9A844A98C3AE.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 42

thepenman

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
As u can see the 32” is a perfect fit.

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
On our 2009, my wife and I always sleep in the V-berth. Guess we have gotten use to sleeping in the v-berth after all these years. Since our aft-cabin has turned into a place to store our bins of supplies, I decided to take the cushions out and take them home. I figure I can always bring them back if we plan to have any guests. We are not big TV fans while boating and have nought a new stereo to replace the Kenwood. I may try to redo that area and turn the TV space into a cabinet, for extra galley storage.
Mike

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Well, I made it back to Myrtle Beach. We ran the Okeechobee waterway and lake with all the locks. It was a fun trip, but it rained pretty much the whole way. Glad I wasn’t in a center console! The engines performed beautifully. We ran about the same speed regardless of The fuel load. We got a full 1.25 mpg at 29 to 32 mph at 4600rpm. We had a nice surprise. The boat turned out to have 290 gal of fuel when I bought it! We put exactly 30 hrs on the motors in 800 miles.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Grady White isn’t even mounting the 350’s anymore. They are selling mostly the new 425’s. Still some 300’s which are Bullet proof. The 350’s have a checkered history. Lower units, connecting rods, flywheels, tiny alternators. I’ve worked full time in the pleasure boating industry for 42 years and been heavily involved with all the boat builders on the East Coast. I know many of the owners. They were not happy with that motor right out of the gate. I know some people that have had pretty good service from them, but I know a bunch that have had a lot of issues. I personally wanted an 08 330 or newer., but I could not afford to buy one and then turn around and repower it. I didn’t want to go with the 350’s since we are going to be doing a lot of long distance cruising. I opted for a super clean older boat with New Suzuki 250’s and new gen set. You may have noticed. All the Sea tow boats are Suzuki now. We switched in 2013 and have not looked back. I just ran my boat 800 miles from Naples FL to Myrtle Beach SC and averaged 31mph at 1.21 mpg at 4500rpm

Reactions: Jargon