Couple of motor bracket questions

FLWhaler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ok finally removed the drain plug from the out board bracket on the 228 and drained about 30 gallons of water but have a question. The pics below show the bracket and the drain plug but shouldn't there be some type of rubber gasket on that drain plug?

Attachments

• Bracket.png
    Bracket.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 98
  • drain plug.png
    drain plug.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 94

SoLucky

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes, there should be a seal. Personally, I would seal it up with a generous dose of marine quality silicone sealant such as 3M 4200.

In related news... do you really have a transducer cable routed through the transom below the water line? Did a boneheaded previous owner do that? I'd be very, very nervous about water intrusion into the transom core with how that is mounted. I don't care how well it is sealed around the cable, moisture will find a way to wick into the core. I'd rip that out, assess the overall health of the transom, grind down to fiberglass around the hole, and glass it over ASAP!

FLWhaler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yep that was a previous owner. I'm redoing everything once I get the new hard top built. Luckily the previous owner had it in a lift and only had 200 hours on a 2003. So it really hasn't seen the water much. Knocked around on it some with a plastic hammer so far sounds solid.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How'd the water get into your bracket? Seal at transom or the lid is more likely the issue than the plug. Consider filling bracket with fresh water to test the plug and boat side seal. Like should be rebedded anyway. If the same guy who put your transducer on sealed anything else check it!

Shocking about the transducer, somebody didn't read the directions.

I had to redo and fill 7 holes from PO when I redid my transducers. Filled extra holes with expoxy then covered with this 1" thick starboard w/ routered edges. Uses 2 old bolt holes (previously coated with epoxy) Now I can get drill happy with my transducers and not affect the hull.

I'll tell you it's always worrie some to me to expose the PO's old "seal job" on transducers.

PS: the transducer on the right is getting replaced and that hole is the wire routing and got sealed.
1619043766727.png

Last edited:

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That plug looks like it was designed for an O-ring to fit in the inner circle.
If the plug, and the boat side seal, didn't leak with the 30 gallons he drained out, I don't see what filling it with fresh water will show, unless you have a connector to fill it thru the plug hole, and see if the round top cover leaks. But, I would be cautious about pressurizing it.
Someone showed their bracket on a larger model, open to the transom, and foam filled. Does the Seafarer bracket have an open end on the transom, or is it solid? I believe they have used at least two different brackets over the years.

Last edited:

wlewis

Reaction score
My 225's bracket/platform has a plastic plug with a 9/16" size square fitting. I've used sealing tape and tried silicone, but invariably, its still leaks, but never have I ever drained anywhere near 30 gallons out. When in the water or on my JetDock, I've found it much easier to remove the round inspection plate on top of the bracket and use a hand pump to drain it.

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
My 2004 Bracket leaks as well, so I recently replaced the plug on the bottom shown in previous notes above with a more robust one and have recently resealed the top access port. Hopefully this solves the problem.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have the round inspection plate on the top of my 1999 228 bracket. Does anyone one know if you can buy a replacement for my bracket?
Thanks

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
knock on wood my 2008,put into service in 09 ,bracket is bone dry. I have read others fill their bracket with ping pong balls . They do it to displace water should it leak. I thought about doing this but I am not touching top plate or the drain plug. lol. Don't mess with it if it ain't broke .

Reactions: PointedRose

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
When you open the top cap it better have a pressurized sound to it or its leaking. My '93 didn't leak a drop but the boat was basically brand new sitting on a rack for it's life. I would think the lower 2 bolts on the motor cause most of the leaks on these brackets. Grady didn't seem to seal that area very good when I removed mine.

gulfstream232

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to get replacement plug? Mine broke while removing it...

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Does anyone know where to get replacement plug? Mine broke while removing it...
Make sure you have the correct threads or it can leak, but you should be able to source something at a plumbing supply house or the home dump.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
And if you cant find a suitable plug, use a wine bottle cork to seal it up. Shave the cork with a knife so it's a bit wider than the hole, jam it in the hole, shave off the top of the excess cork so that it's flush with the bottom of the bracket, and then cover the hole with 4200.

Enjoy obtaining the cork with a nice prime Steak!

Reactions: Halfhitch

gulfstream232

Reaction score
I just went thru this for a 2007 232. Broke the original plug. 5/8-11 was the thread after a bit of trial and error.

McMaster-Carr black plastic hex plugs was delivered very quickly.

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Well after two days in the water my top deck plate leaked water and completely filled my bracket. I have decided to enlarge my 4 inch hole to a 6.75 inch hole and purchase an Armstrong compression deck plate. Hopefully cutting the new hole will go smoothly. I plan to drill a series of holes along the outside of the new circle and then use a jig saw to cut out.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ted. I have two 10 inch Armstrong compression brackets in my splash well 208 easy to access bilge area, to test, plugged the drain tubes, filled the splash well up with water overnight....nary a drop leaked in... great hatch covers!! 10 years later still tight.

Ted R

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
That is good news. I will be working on this project Tuesday when I return home.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Not sure I get what is going on with your drain plug. My bracket has a pipe thread type plug. I purchased replacement Aluminum drain plugs that are tapered. I use 3M sealant (removable) to ensure they seal.
I tried the PVC plug and another type harder plastic plug, but they just don't do well when removing to check water intrusion, so the Aluminum replacement was better.
I replaced the original deck plates with one's I found from West Marine that fit perfectly and these screw in. I put some silicone grease on the orings and after making sure the seal around transom/bracket were re-sealed with 4200, I have been bone dry now for last year or so.

wlewis

Reaction score
My bracket’s threads are not tapered so I haven’t seen one other than a PVC one that fits. As info, my Grady factory bracket I believe is made by Armstrong.