Reaction score
what’s your favorite? Any one got pics?

thank you!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Easiest thing is a simple cockpit cover that attaches to the frame of the windshield. Pretty easy to picture that in your head! Google for pictures if you need to - there will be plenty.

But, that said, there are different styles of covers - covering more or less of the boat. What type did you have in mind as "cover for wet slipped 228" is quite vague.

Bruinjay

Reaction score
Thank you, what I am thinking, is a cover, the protects the entire boat from Val, pulpit to transom, similar to what you’ll see on boats stored on trailers, but obviously, without having to connect the strap from one side under the keel to the other.

Coastboater

Reaction score
LaPorte’s is a local company that makes covers and has a very good reputation. Hard to recommend a specific type of cover not knowing if you have a hardtop and other features on your boat, but my guess is they’ve built covers for most configurations.
find them on YT and their own site

Bruinjay

Reaction score
checked LaPorte and their covers are not for in-water use. Anyone have any suggestions/pictures?

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Haven't used it in the water, but mine snaps to the underside of the rub rail. I can put it on and snap it from inside the boat, and step out either zipper, but it is easier to snap from the ground.
An easier way in the water, is to snap easy to reach locations, and attach small sandbags at strategic points around the perimeter, to shed the water.

Attachments

• C74A759C-DCED-48B9-B77F-CC90DF79FDB3.jpeg
    C74A759C-DCED-48B9-B77F-CC90DF79FDB3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Reactions: PointedRose

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think you're going to get a variety of responses and opinions on the matter. What is your ultimate goal here? To keep the bird crap off the boat or to keep people out of it, or? If the former, I've got mine on a mooring buoy in front of my beach cabin on Whidbey Island typically for 3-4 months during the summertime and I don't use anything. I'll typically pull the boat out once a month or every other month and clean it, then put her back in the water after that. That being said, the neighbor has essentially a brand new 235 Freedom and has the cover going from the rear of the hardtop to the stern of the boat. It's black in color and it stains, shows everything and I'm honestly not sure it's worth the cost/hassle of buying one and trying to keep it clean. If it was something smaller and simple that could go in a washing machine then I'd say by all means go for it. I think you're probably going to almost spend as much time trying to keep it clean as you would with just scrubbing and washing the boat itself. Something for over the winter and trying to keep the water/leaves out might be advantageous though. Just depends on what you're looking for and what your expectations are.

Bruinjay

Reaction score
Thanks. I live in SoCal so I intend to run the boat year around 1-2x per week. Purpose of cover is to protect from natural elements esp birds. Appreciate everyone’s help

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have bought a few from Empire covers, and they work great. They are reasonably priced and easy to put on and get off.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
what’s your favorite? Any one got pics?

thank you!
I need to get you pics but I tried an off the shelf cover and hated it, so heavy. I put it on exactly once and gave it away.

So I had one made to my specs, it was about $3K but completely worth it. It's 3 pieces, the forward slips over the bow pulpit, clips to the front and the sides of the hard top. I added rocket launchers to my hard top, the rear piece fits over those and covers the cockpit and then goes over the swim platform to cover the engine and kicker. Those two velcro together. The last piece is a cap that goes over the hard top.

If you don't have rocket launchers then more clips would work fine, all the clips piggy backed on bolts that were already there.

So why do I like this? Even though it is heavy umbrella fabric, because it is in 3 pieces, I can put it on by myself (I'm 61, old fart) and take it off all from inside the boat. After a cocktail or two even :cool:

Things I'd change in version 2.0: the pocket that goes over the bow pulpit is too deep, it makes it harder than it needs to be to get it off. The cap is attached to the other 2 pieces with clips, where I live, we get hard sideways winds, it lets rain and crud get into the boat. It would be better if it were velcro-ed all along the edge.

My setup would absolutely work in a slip.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Pics of mine after I went out there and put it on after most of a bottle of wine. It was easy. The inside view is from my living room, I park the boat so I can see if from there so if I'm watching some stupid movie with my wife, I just shift my gaze to the boat and smile.

I think you could make something like this work in a slip.
20230716_180224.jpg20230716_180157.jpg20230716_180144.jpg

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just got a pre-made cover. 228 with pulpit, hardtop with and an elevated radar dome. Was for boat 25-27 ft. Didn’t quite cover the motor.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You're probably looking at something custom - so ask around - I'm sure you'll find some recommendations for other boaters nearby.

Consider a ratchet strap in the hem of the cover - maybe more than one so you can tighten it from multiple locations if needed.

BRO-CAL

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks all!
Highly recommend Jeff below. He is in Poway and recently did new canvas enclosure for my 228. Pretty sure he could build you a custom cover.

Jeff Warren

Fabricator, Pacific Coast Canvas

12528 Kirkham Ct., suite 9
Poway, California 92064
Mobile 858 776-7092

Jwarren@PacificCoastCanvas.net

PacificCoastCanvas.net| Facebook | Instagram

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Another option (maybe you get quotes from both) is the folks that did my 3 piece that I love:

Barrios Upholstery

16840 Joleen Way Suite G6.
Morgan Hill, CA 95037

Tel: (408) 779-9991