COVID-19 228G Trailer & Adventure

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I ordered a new Pacific Trailer for my Seafarer right before all the Covid calamity took hold. I put down a 50% deposit in early February, and was told the finish time would be mid April. Called the builder 2 weeks ago actually hoping they were shut down as I have more financial stress right now than I can relate to. Was told they were open, and delivering to whomever could pick up the trailers.
This is when I try to be a good community player. They have less builds, keeping employees, and so I keep my end of the bargain so things keep moving as best they can.
I was asked to pick any day this week after Monday. Hmmm, I am not working so lemme put the thinking cap on. Oh hell, any day will do.
Note: I have been self isolating in my house for 40+ days now. This is starting to sound like a lot of fun to make a road trip from Reno to Los Angeles, 400 miles.
So, get the boat ready for transport, pack Covid friendly food n clothes for the 2 day turn around. LA here we come!

31031.jpeg

Reactions: UCPA111

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Babied my old trailer going max 50 mph on I-395 which goes through the Sierra Nevada mountain range.
Why do I always wait till the last minute to refuel? I reached the San Bernardino area close to LA, and was running low on fuel. There was only one stop left before I was gonna run out of gas. When I saw a highway sign for an upcoming Chevron station, I began to breath again. I had less than 25 miles before I would run out, and the next exit was in 40 miles.
Yep, I nearly cra*ped my pants right then and there.
Gassed up and spent the night at a hotel close to Pacific Trailers. When I arrived at the hotel, there were almost no cars. Nobody in the lobby, was very surreal. On a good note, I could park wherever I cared to :cool:20200428_154755.jpg20200428_181626.jpg

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Woke up early today to get Pacific Trailer to swap out trailers at 7:30AM.
It was interesting, all the employees had their temperatures taken outside the entrance as a Covid precaution. If they were normal, they were allowed to enter the building.
Luis Campalans was my point guard there. He seemed like the team leader. At any rate, took them about 2 hours to swap trailers. They bought my old trailer for a fair price, and I was excited for another 9 hour drive home :eek:20200429_095540.jpg20200429_095511.jpg

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The drive home was a visual treat. The Sierra Nevada range is really stunning as I drove back home.

20200429_142442.jpg20200429_173216.jpg20200429_190136.jpg

Last edited:

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Finally safely back home, really happy with this new trailer. The new to me torsion axles were outstanding, and at times I forgot I was pulling a trailer.

I did not opt for EOH brakes. I can update those when and if I choose for 1K, plug and play. The stainless surge brakes on the new trailer are twice as powerful stopping than my old trailer.

The boat sits up about 4-6" higher off the frame than previous, and the bunks fit like a glove. Now when Lake Tahoe opens back up, time for a splash.

Honestly, this trailer is a rock star, I only wish I could have pulled the trigger earlier. Should last me 20 years.

Stay safe and healthy to everybody. I wish I could say I had something better to do but I hope for stay-at-homers it took up 10 minutes of your time ;)

PS-I got 17 mpg trailering down to LA going 50 mph max
I got 14.5 mpg going back to Reno going 70 mph max
Not bad considering mountain ranges and altitudes over 8,000 feet at times.

20200429_191520.jpg

Last edited:

Summertop511

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This was a good read as I’m here at work on the midnight shift. Gotta ask, why do I see so many west coast boats with a kicker motor?

Reactions: leeccoll

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Easy peasy, most are trolling for salmon, and other fish where bait presentation needs to be slower than 2 mph.

East coast boats are trolling for fish that need a higher presentation speed, or working off an anchor or drifting.

West coast fisherman also drift and anchor depending on what the target species is.

Last edited:

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That was a fun trip Lee. Judging from your travel kit, you didn't take the Admiral along. Had she been along I'm sure we would have not had the fuel supply scare. Sometimes we need an overseer.:) That 100 proof Knob Creek will burn just fine tho and it has no Ethanol so you could have made that next fuel stop. Enjoy the new equipment.

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Congrats on the successful endeavor Lee. Nice trailer! A little less looking in rearview mirror going forward. Piece of mind is worth almost any price. Glad you got back safe.

Keeldad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice story. Glad everything worked out. Is it me or is the oil temp in the dash pic pegged hot?

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That was a fun trip Lee. Judging from your travel kit, you didn't take the Admiral along. Had she been along I'm sure we would have not had the fuel supply scare. Sometimes we need an overseer.:) That 100 proof Knob Creek will burn just fine tho and it has no Ethanol so you could have made that next fuel stop. Enjoy the new equipment.
Thanks Hitch,
You reminded me of that song "A Man Needs A Maid".
I had never been on that route before, who knew the desert area just southeast of Death Valley had no real towns, just highway :rolleyes:

Last edited:

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Congrats on the successful endeavor Lee. Nice trailer! A little less looking in rearview mirror going forward. Piece of mind is worth almost any price. Glad you got back safe.
Thanks LT.
Pretty sure this new trailer won't be chomping on my strakes and keel like the old roller trailer. As you said Pacific Trailers are built nice n modular!

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice story. Glad everything worked out. Is it me or is the oil temp in the dash pic pegged hot?
Thanks Keeldad,
Temps were fine. Not sure which icon you were referring to. Maybe the yellow light in the left center which means low fuel.
Truck ran great up n down the mountain passes :)

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Keeldad, I see it too. Oil temp gauge pegged hot, next to the tach.

Maybe that's normal, he wouldn't have pulled a trailer thru the mountains without incident if it wasn't.

Good story by the way; I was only out West one time, filling in some dates with a country act. Your pics do it more justice than a postcard.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Keeldad, I see it too. Oil temp gauge pegged hot, next to the tach.

Maybe that's normal, he wouldn't have pulled a trailer thru the mountains without incident if it wasn't.

Good story by the way; I was only out West one time, filling in some dates with a country act. Your pics do it more justice than a postcard.
Hi Magicalbill,
Now I see what what you n Keeldad are referring to.
The two white bars means "normal temp" on my truck, if there were four white bars that would be bad.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Ahh..I was looking at the red line at the top, figuring that was the gauge and not the white bars.

Permit me to wish you many happy hours with your Grady and new trailer once this pandemic is in the rear view mirror.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Lee, you get 17 mpg towing? Or even 14? Impressive.

I saw 8.5 running at interstate speeds on the way back.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I once got 18.5 mpg on 395 towing a boat with a truck camper loaded as well. Of course, we had a 50 mph tailwind. It took both of us to close the door on the truck after stopping for a pee break. I sure miss that scenery!

Fishtales

Reaction score
nice story. your boat looks very nice on the new trailer.