Crab pot puller

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Looking to see what crab pot pullers people are using and maybe pics on how you have it set up.

I looked at the scotty puller that goes on the downrigger mount, but seems like the reach isn't very much.

I like the Ace Line Brutus puller, it can also go on the scotty downrigger mount.

Thanks

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I had the Scotty crab pot puller that you're referring to for my previous boat, which I bought it for pulling up shrimp pots. I think in the 3-4 years that I had it that I might have used it once or twice. Ended up selling it with the boat when I sold it, and I honestly wouldn't recommend it for the reason you mentioned. Every time I pulled up a pot, it would smack the side of the boat because the boom isn't anywhere near long enough. Shrimping is typically limited around here to only a day or two, so I haven't even bothered buying another for my Grady since I've just got the cheap, lightweight Costco crab pots and just pull those up by hand. A buddy has the Ace Brutus and really likes it, I've seen it on his boat and it's a beast compared to the Scotty. If I were to get another one, it would probably be the Brutus as it can mount to your downrigger mount and you don't need to attach it to the floor of the boat or anything, which I definitely don't want to drill holes in the floor of my boat. The biggest reason why I got the Scotty is because it would attach to my downrigger mounts and because they sell them for pretty cheap at Costco, but still wasn't something I was happy with.

Reactions: Saltyone

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looking to see what crab pot pullers people are using and maybe pics on how you have it set up.

I looked at the scotty puller that goes on the downrigger mount, but seems like the reach isn't very much.

I like the Ace Line Brutus puller, it can also go on the scotty downrigger mount.

Thanks
Check out the one that fits in the burnewiin system, it works great. I don't own one but have used one several times and it is fantastic.

Reactions: Saltyone

Sea Shift

Reaction score
I have used the The Ace line haulers for years. They work sufficiently. However they have he same shortcoming as the Scotty. In my opinion, they do not bring the trap high enough out of the water or above the rail. If your using light pots and dont mind the trap hitting the side a little then no big deal.

I now have a Safe-T- Puller mounted off my 2" super structure of the 265. Let me tell you from experience it is BOMBER! I pull semi commercial pots ( 75 lbs ) no problem. I have even had traps sanded in which stopped the boats drift, and traps tangled where I have had to lift two traps at once. No issues.

See this write up and I can answer any more questions. I love the reach of having the arm.
https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/t-top-crab-puller-question.19649/#post-135986
Crab pot Post

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The Scotty definitely works and it has a good deal of pulling power, I just think that there are better options out there for similar amounts of money.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Been using the Ace line puller for years, found if you stop it before reaching the bottom of the hull, (side of the boat) you can manually swing it up and into the boat with no issues. Although...... if you load up with prawns it is a bit of a grunt to get it over the gunnels. The prawns tend to block the bottom of the trap which makes it a little tougher to clear the water surface. A bit of a workout some times but certainly worth every bit of effort. I guess this was more about crab trapping, no doubt all doable.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Sea Shift

Reaction score
I'm ok if we switch topics to Prawns. Those buggers are tasty! As far as pullers go it really just comes down to personal choice and how one wants to use their boat. They all will pull a variety of pots from the bottom. One thing I found that is a constant is no matter what system I have, electrical on saltwater sucks!

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
One thing I found that is a constant is no matter what system I have, electrical on saltwater sucks!
If you are using Marinco plugs, splitting the prongs apart slightly, and coating everything with dielectric grease works pretty well.
If you aren't using Marinco plugs, you probably should be.

Sea Shift

Reaction score
If you are using Marinco plugs, splitting the prongs apart slightly, and coating everything with dielectric grease works pretty well.
If you aren't using Marinco plugs, you probably should be.
Good recommendation. My current setup is hard wired (no plugs) to a solenoid and I coat the terminals with liquid electrical tape! but it seems like at least every two the three years there are issues! Even the "waterproof" Switches grenade after a bit. Just regular maintenance items.

Penguindan71

Reaction score
I buy everything related to crab from Lesters Crab Pots in Oregon. Lester is the most honest professional I have ever done business with.He has great knowledge and excellent products. Can't say enough great things about his company.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I buy everything related to crab from Lesters Crab Pots in Oregon. Lester is the most honest professional I have ever done business with.He has great knowledge and excellent products. Can't say enough great things about his company.
$150 for hoops, he may be honest but that is spendy. I've gotten pitbull tackle hoops for $89 on a group buy. And they are beefy.