Creating wheel chair access for a 226 Seafarer

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am considering making my boat wheelchair accessible. I love taking people out fishing who don't have access to a boat. Does anyone have experience with modifying a boat to be able to lift and secure a person in a wheelchair? Myself at 5'2" and an artificial hip, lifting someone is not an option.

seasick

Reaction score
If you are thinking about making a new hull opening, I think that would be just not practical.
At my club we had to look into making some slips ADA compliant. The wheelchair issue is just one of the challenges.
If you wanted just the ability to lift a person in a wheelchair onto and off of your boat, there are hoists made for that purpose.
The (slings/chair) lifts for a person are often seen at public pools and can be manual or electric.
Whether that approach will work depends a lot on the type of launch facility, fixed dock, floating dock and general access. One ADA requirement for turning space means that a slip has to be at least 5 feet wide.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Googling it I found this....
Maybe some decent info here.

seasick

Reaction score
All he has to do is buy a custom new boat!
I was thinking more along the lines of

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a BIL who is quadriplegic from a car accident, been in a wheel chair for 45 years. Another BIL who was FUBAR'ed by polio, been in leg and body braces, crutches, and now a scooter, for 70 years. Both successful men, who owned their own businesses. One of them flew his own plane for a few years.
But, having been witness to the physical side of it, I'll just say, go big or stay home. An appropriate ramp is one thing, if you have to resort to lifting a person in a chair, or slinging them on board, then you are in way over your head.

seasick

Reaction score
I have a BIL who is quadriplegic from a car accident, been in a wheel chair for 45 years. Another BIL who was FUBAR'ed by polio, been in leg and body braces, crutches, and now a scooter, for 70 years. Both successful men, who owned their own businesses. One of them flew his own plane for a few years.
But, having been witness to the physical side of it, I'll just say, go big or stay home. An appropriate ramp is one thing, if you have to resort to lifting a person in a chair, or slinging them on board, then you are in way over your head.
Maybe but if for example you run a marina or a non/not for profit organization, you may be required under the American's with Disabilities Act to provide ADA compliant access to the public. In addition to compliant general access to a slip or dock, a means of loading a person may be mandated. The hoist I referenced will meet the requirements as long as the slip as I said is compliant. The last part is the hardest to implement. There are rules that you might never think of. For example, if you have floating main docks and ramps, the slope of the ramp can not exceed a certain angle and depending on your tidal swing you may need a very long ramp or multiple to and fro ramps with intermediate platforms.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The fun thing about trying to change something (in this circumstance wheelchair access to my boat), you start learning all the issues related to the subject. I really appreciate all the comments and suggestions. I started thinking about this when I volunteered to take veterans out salmon fishing (Salmon for Soldiers). The boating world does not easily lend itself to ADA access.

The only way this is going to work is to put a lift on the boat and I need to find a local marina that has ADA compliant docks to meet people at.

Again thanks for all the input.