Dead rise

Yooper

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I’m going to install a new thru hull transducer and I need to know the dead rise at the stern. Can anyone help me with this?
The boat is a 2007 Grady Sailfish 282.

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm not sure if Grady lists deadrise for your boat in your manual or by downloading it on Grady's site. It seems that sometimes Grady publishes it and sometimes they don't. But that is AT the transom and since you're doing a thru-hull (I assume you mean ACTUALLY thru the hull, not "shoot thru"?) then you're going to be "X" feet forward of the transom. The deadrise will increase as you go forward - although not dramatically in the distance you'll likely be dealing with. But the "X" spot is what you're after, not at the transom.

Most likely, a 20* is what you're after. But you can easily measure the angle if you want to be sure.

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I did this on my 180 this past spring. I figured my boat wasn't level on thetrailer or the trailer on the ground so I put a board across the gunnels and measured the angle, I was 2-3˚ off level. Then I measured the angle of the hull at the mounting point and subtracted the first number from the second.
Crucial to the was the device used for measuring, an AngleCube, these things are indispensable...

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Most Airmar "Tilted Element" thru hulls come in a choice of 0 deg, 12 deg or 20 deg. You would use a 20 deg on a Sailfish (if you are not going on the keel or a transducer flat)

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
My GArmin came with 4 tanks of varying degrees.

Yooper

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks to everyone that replied. You’ve confirmed my choice of a 20 degree which covers 16 to 24 degrees.

thanks again!

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
simple measurement and calculation

Use a level. Draw a horizontal and vertical line on the transom to make sides a and b of a right triangle. The hull is side c. Don't try to go to the keel with the measurement. Its rounded! To get accurate results, make the horizontal line at least 12".
The vertical line must be plumb. It will be 4 7/8" for a 22 degree hull. I just did this on my 2000 265 express. I get 22 degrees which is what I expected.

Roughly 4 3/8" for a 20 deg hull

Because you used a level, the triangle is a right triangle. You can check yourself by doing it again on the other side of the transom.

Use the calculator on the internet. I added some notes to the screen shot.

Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 12.07.20 PM.png

Yooper

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for your response. I’ve ordered my transducer and should have it installed next week.