Decal Question

BlueFlu15

Reaction score
Hi- I just received my pendant decals for my ‘03 seafarer from discontinued decals (they look awesome). Question for the group. What’s the easiest way to get the old decals off? I’m a little weary of using a heat gun but I have one if that’s the quickest/ best option. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Nothing wrong with a heat gun and a plastic razor blade if the decals are still pliable. If they're dried out and cracking you might do better with an "3M eraser tool" (google it). But if you have the gun, start with that. Mineral spirits and acetone work well for any residue.

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
I would avoid the heat gun and second the plastic razor blade. GooGone helps..

Reactions: ilmmct

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I would avoid the heat gun and second the plastic razor blade. GooGone helps..
Just out of curiosity, why avoid the heat gun? It's perfect for softening the adhesive to make it MUCH easier to scrape off. If you're not comfortable with your ability to use it correctly, sure, I understand that. Did you have a bad experience with it, maybe? But I can tell you from many, MANY times using it over the years that it works great.

Reactions: Pighunter

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
I think there are 2 variables here are:
1-skillset of the user
2- the heat-gun
If the user has not used a heat-gun much or moves the gun tip too close to the gelcoat, the result will be a burn and perhaps a surface that is no longer flat
Also some heat-guns are like a hair dryer and not very hot. Others are very very hot
I only presented what would potentially do the least damage. But if you feel comfortable use whatever.

BlueFlu15

Reaction score
Thank you both! Once it warms up here in Boston , I’ll probably start with the heat gun + razor and see how it goes. The port side is pretty dried up so I may give the 3M eraser a shot if it doesn’t cooperate (I hadn’t heard of that tool before). Thank you for the quick replies. I’ll let you know how I make out.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Suggestion for the "Goo-Gone"..

Saturate a white terry towel with Goo-Gone and tape it over the decal, then cover the towel with plastic wrap and tape that in place. Let is sit for a few minutes to penetrate the adhesive. Remove the wrap/towel and then try to remove the decal.

This helps the Goo-Gone get under the decal and into the adhesive.

I have often found that once you get through the "skin" of the adhesive, the underside comes off more easily.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am doing this at the moment on my 228. The erasure wheel works well, but be ADVISED that you can easily burn your gel coat. I used the erasure wheel for about 3 feet and it works, but now I have to wet sand out some burn marks that will not buff out. I ended up using a heat gun (carefully) to soften the decal and then used my thumb nail to peel it up. Sometimes you would get a few inches up and other times it just broke. It is a slow process that is a pain in the ass and takes more time than you planned for. Once you get the decals off now you're left with old hard adhesive on the hull. I tried Goo-gone, Goof-Off, rubbing alcohol, WD40, and none of it worked well. I ended up softening it a bit with the heat gun, and then used acetone on a rag and a plastic scrapper, and that worked. It took almost 5 hours to get the adhesive off but now it gone. Make sure you wash the area where you used acetone, not good to sit on your gelcoat. So now I'm left with a color difference where the decals were. Rubbing compound helps but does not do enough. I am wondering what to do, I do not want to wet sand the whole boat. I have a new graphics kit that I go from Grady, but it is the current graphics not the older ones. I will have areas that have a color contrast being there are no decals on the cabin.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Even with a wet sand, unless you go super deep with it, you'll still have some light ghosting left over. I did mine last year and can still see where the old side cabin flags were. Most people wouldn't notice, but I do, since I know what was there. For the cleaned up, updated look, I'm good with it. The cabin will fade in time.

20210501_141435.jpg20210510_132102.jpg
20220313_115931.jpg

Reactions: Ryhlick

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Even with a wet sand, unless you go super deep with it, you'll still have some light ghosting left over. I did mine last year and can still see where the old side cabin flags were. Most people wouldn't notice, but I do, since I know what was there. For the cleaned up, updated look, I'm good with it. The cabin will fade in time.

View attachment 24938View attachment 24939
View attachment 24940
I was hoping you would reply, thanks. What did you use to buff out the hull and top side of your boat? Also, I am guessing you removed all the wax where the decals go prior to installing them? Did you wax over them after installation, any other tips you could share before I install them? Thanks

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you've followed any of my stuff, you know what I went through last year with the guy almost destroying my boat with all the sand through places. I know he used a mechanical sander of some sort and probably 1500 to 2000 grit wetsand paper. Luckily I have an excellent fiberglass guy that fixed most all my sand through places. Still in the process of replacing my topside chrome/stainless pieces he messed up with the hull cleaner he left on them, permanently stained them. Total $hit show,,, live and learn.

As far as application of new decals and logos, I did wipe down the areas with acetone and alcohol and let air dry. Once applied, I went back and waxed over everything with Collinite 925. The final product, hull shine and decals, looks fantastic now, considering what it went through to get here and being a 2004 model.

A little tip,,, have a spray bottle of water with a drop or two of baby shampoo in it and spray the hull and the back of the stripe with it. Applying wet allows you some forgiveness while applying the stripe if you need to reposition. Take your time and go slow. Once in place, carefully squeegee the water out and let dry, then wax.

20210502_151605.jpg20210425_183139.jpg

Reactions: loubeer and Ryhlick

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you've followed any of my stuff, you know what I went through last year with the guy almost destroying my boat with all the sand through places. I know he used a mechanical sander of some sort and probably 1500 to 2000 grit wetsand paper. Luckily I have a excellent fiberglass guy that fixed most all my sand through places. Still in the process of replacing my topside chrome/stainless pieces he messed up with the hull cleaner he left on them, permanently stained them. Total $hit show,,, live and learn.

As far as application of new decals and logos, I did wipe down the areas with acetone and alcohol and let air dry. Once applied, I went back and waxed over everything with Collinite 925. The final product, hull shine and decals, looks fantastic now, considering what it went through to get here and being a 2004 model.

A little tip,,, have a spray bottle of water with a drop or two of baby shampoo in it and spray the hull and the back of the stripe with it. Applying wet allows you some forgiveness while applying the stripe if you need to reposition. Take your time and go slow. Once in place, carefully squeegee the water out and let dry, then wax.

View attachment 24943View attachment 24944
Thanks, and I do remember now the ordeal you went through. Appreciate the tip on using a bit of soapy water and going slow.

Reactions: RayBlackman

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks, and I do remember now the ordeal you went through. Appreciate the tip on using a bit of soapy water and going slow.

Reason for baby shampoo is it's gentle and won't strip the adhesive off like dish soap or regular shampoo will. I bought a small travel size of Johnson's baby shampoo and that's all I use it for.

20220313_140721.jpg

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Reason for baby shampoo is it's gentle and won't strip the adhesive off like dish soap or regular shampoo will. I bought a small travel size of Johnson's baby shampoo and that's all I use it for.

View attachment 24948
Thanks again for the info, this forum has an answer for just about everything. If you ever make it out to Oregon, look me up and I'll take you fishing. Cheers

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks again for the info, this forum has an answer for just about everything. If you ever make it out to Oregon, look me up and I'll take you fishing. Cheers
I will definitely take you up on that. If it's 228 related,,, I've pretty much been there done that on mine. I enjoy helping when I can. It's a true labor of love making my '04 228 the best it can be. Pride in Ownership!! :cool:

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
Hey Ky Grady. Where did you get the Grady White side decals for the back of the boat?
Can you send another pic?

Reactions: Ky Grady