Deck access plates

wbdenamur

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to obtain a new o ring for the round access plates. My o ring diameter measured at 7 1/8 inches.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
They should be Beckson plates. Using your favorite search engine, you should be able to find them easily from various vendors.
Hard to say, though, since we have no idea what boat he has let alone what plates they are. They could be original... they could be added/replaced afterwards.

WB, identify the brand deck plate you have and order appropriately - as noted, once you know what you have they are easy to source either online or through a local store. Your local Grady dealer may have them in stock (depending on my first sentence)

seasick

Reaction score
Often especially if the plates are original or just fairly old, it is a better idea to replace the whole thing. The older plastic can be dried out and rough and even with new o-rings, don't operate smoothly.
If you have an 8 inch plate and it is a snap in style as opposed to a screw in type, here is the Bekson part
That said, I think you have a 6 inch plate. Measure the opening size ( with the plate removed), not the o-ring size

If you have 6 inch plates, here is a set of rings

wbdenamur

Reaction score
I
Hard to say, though, since we have no idea what boat he has let alone what plates they are. They could be original... they could be added/replaced afterwards.

WB, identify the brand deck plate you have and order appropriately - as noted, once you know what you have they are easy to source either online or through a local store. Your local Grady dealer may have them in stock (depending on my first sentence)
Often especially if the plates are original or just fairly old, it is a better idea to replace the whole thing. The older plastic can be dried out and rough and even with new o-rings, don't operate smoothly.
If you have an 8 inch plate and it is a snap in style as opposed to a screw in type, here is the Bekson part
That said, I think you have a 6 inch plate. Measure the opening size ( with the plate removed), not the o-ring size

If you have 6 inch plates, here is a set of rings
I have a 2003 Grady Marlin 300. These are the pop in plates, not screw type. The diameter of the opening is about 7 1/8 to accommodate the plate. It is original Grady equipment.

seasick

Reaction score
I am still not sure what ones you have. Here are the specs fo the 6 adn 8 inch options
6" Pry-out Deck Plate - Standard Trim Ring Replacement Gasket = D6P-G
Outside Diameter: 8 1/8" (15.6 cm) Inside Diameter: 6 3/16" (15.5 cm) Hole Cut: 6 1/2" (16.5 cm)
Thin Rim with or without screw holes may be available in some color / material combinations. Thin rim OD is 7.50"

8" Pry-out Deck Plate - Standard Trim Ring Replacement Gasket = D8P-G
Outside Diameter: 10" Inside Diameter: 8" Hole Cut: 8 1/2"
No thin rim available.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have a 2003 Grady Marlin 300. These are the pop in plates, not screw type. The diameter of the opening is about 7 1/8 to accommodate the plate. It is original Grady equipment.
What brand, though? You need to look at the plate.

Or just call your Grady dealer as they should know based on your HIN an dlikely have it in stock.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Beckson made the original ones for my GW. They will sell direct. They made them in different colors. Today you are probably dealing with "Faded Grady" - almost white with a slight hint of brown. Get your o-rings from them or if you are willing to experiment McMaster Carr has lots of o-rings. You need to measure carefully.

I agree with some of the posts that say just replace them. The sand gets into them and damages the sealing surfaces. I alway use a clear silicone grease on them. I'm half tempted to seal them with clear silicone - they almost never come off. Especially over the fuel tanks.

seasick

Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I remove all mine in the cockpit after every trip to let things dry out.
That's a new one for me! Do you rinse the fuel tank also?

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I remove all mine in the cockpit after every trip to let things dry out.
I do the same. When my boat is being left at the dock, I button up all the canvas, pop the deck plate lids, and open some of my compartment to allow some air flow.

Reactions: Halfhitch

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That's a new one for me! Do you rinse the fuel tank also?
When I finish washing down the boat after a trip, I remove the deck plates. If there is any water on top of the tank, I use my leaf blower to blow the water off the top of the tank, then leave the plates off to dry. I keep the whole area around the fuel sender and hose connections coated with "Fluid Film", to keep corrosion at bay.

Before I wash the boat though, I pop the plates over the tank off and if there is any saltwater on top of the tank from the washdown while offshore, then I spray the top of the tank down with the garden hose to flush the salt into the bilge.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I replaced my o rings from home depot, took the plate in and found a match to fit. I also remove my plates to dry (stern and mid deck) out the fuel tank areas . It helps with venting the fuel fumes that seem to somehow escape a little with the plastic tanks while resting comfortably in her heated home........Yes my 208 is rather spoiled, but she is (12 years) use to it now so any changes could result in her possibly misbehaving on a good fishing day....just won't take that chance!

Reactions: Halfhitch

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
When I finish washing down the boat after a trip, I remove the deck plates. If there is any water on top of the tank, I use my leaf blower to blow the water off the top of the tank, then leave the plates off to dry. I keep the whole area around the fuel sender and hose connections coated with "Fluid Film", to keep corrosion at bay.

Before I wash the boat though, I pop the plates over the tank off and if there is any saltwater on top of the tank from the washdown while offshore, then I spray the top of the tank down with the garden hose to flush the salt into the bilge.

Great idea on the Fluid Film - I'll have to add that to my list of stuff to do this spring!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Never heard of popping out the deck plate lids. I'd think the risk of sinking and the explanation to the insurance co would be a challenge but to each their own.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Never heard of popping out the deck plate lids. I'd think the risk of sinking and the explanation to the insurance co would be a challenge but to each their own.
I had this happen to me after buying my boat out in Maryland and then driving it back to Seattle where when you were going 70+ mph the wind would pop them out quite easily. Luckily they just blew off and into the boat as opposed to landing on the side of the freeway or anything, but it's also happened a few times when cruising in my boat on the water. I'll probably replace them this year with the screw on type as those are next to impossible to accidentally come loose.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I saw someone post an EBay link for Cat O rings that fit the 6" pry out. I can't find the link now. It was for 3 O rings at a very good price, with a robust o ring that works well.
I'll look for the link.
Looks like the price went up. Here is the model number in a photo.Screenshot_20221228_191037_eBay.jpg

Last edited: