Deck Drain Scupper Surprise

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Don’t be a hater! Lol....the trailer is why I have not posted, not me tinkering heh

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Thats why you haven't posted pix of fish.
Gold..
I'm with you Russ , I keep mine at home , 10 minutes to the boat ramp and 1 minute to launch 2 minutes to retrieve and when ever I feel like I can take her 300 miles away chasing Marlin and tuna, can't do that on a boat kept in the water. That's the reason I have a 22 footer.

Fishtales

Reaction score
what a process to get done while under pressure....

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
what a process to get done while under pressure....
Yep, too cold to do anything else until the weekend.

Parts have been coming in.
Attwood thru hulls look good. Got some good hose.
The Perko "flush" deck drains are not so "flush". They have the same profile as the Forespar Marelon drains. Now I think they will be a problem.
I knew the deck drains would be a problem. Had a hell of a time with my last boat.
WHY IS IT SO HARD????

Too cold and dark to go out and check them out. I'll take pix tomorrow

Got someone coming Sunday to look at the OX66s so I gotta get them set up to run. They don't like to run on earmuffs so I gotta setup the Yamaha Hot Tub.
Of course, I disconnected all of the battery connections to get them out of the way. So I gotta deal with that.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Life's like that.

When you finish everything I'm gonna send you a CD of Tom Petty's Greatest Hits.

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
Yep, too cold to do anything else until the weekend.

Parts have been coming in.
Attwood thru hulls look good. Got some good hose.
The Perko "flush" deck drains are not so "flush". They have the same profile as the Forespar Marelon drains. Now I think they will be a problem.
I knew the deck drains would be a problem. Had a hell of a time with my last boat.
WHY IS IT SO HARD????

Too cold and dark to go out and check them out. I'll take pix tomorrow

Got someone coming Sunday to look at the OX66s so I gotta get them set up to run. They don't like to run on earmuffs so I gotta setup the Yamaha Hot Tub.
Of course, I disconnected all of the battery connections to get them out of the way. So I gotta deal with that.

Did you see this thread below? Looks like he has some cockpit ones that sit flush

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just picked up a pair of the new model stainless steel scupper drains that Grady uses from:

MARINE TOWN USA
  • 2061 NW US Highway 19,
  • Crystal River,FL 34428
  • T352 564 1150
  • F352 564 1156
  • E info@marinetown.com
The cost for both was $89 including the 10% trade war surcharge. They are fit flush and are a direct replacement for the older plasting drains with the 1.5" hose connections.

Reactions: bac0701

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
here is the Perko "Flush" 1-1/2". It fits the hole correctly but the taper doesn't begin at the threads. The Forspar one was the same.
This makes it sit up in the hole.
I will try a sander and knock the edge off on one and see if I get it to sit flush.
ENWQO3Gl.jpg

ITjSulIl.jpg

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Did you see this thread below? Looks like he has some cockpit ones that sit flush

Those require a 2-3/8 hole but mine are 1-7/8...2" hole

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Scuppers are done. I should probably wait until I clean up the 5200 before posting pix but I'm going to wait until its cured before messing with it anymore.
These went in first. Copious amounts of 5200FC. First one got too much on threads...DON"T DO THAT.....
Mvzr8d6l.jpg

Put the elbows on the hoses first then pushed them onto the scuppers. Heated the hose with a heat gun to make it go on easy...er....
Started with 30" hose. Went 29" after that and on the last one we ended up pulling off the scupper and cutting another inch.
This was to make the elbow line up under the hole without tilting.
q4cbqrnl.jpg

These will clean up nicely. Its all too sticky to mess with now. Should never use solvents if its not cured.
These were REALLY hard to get lined up to thread into the elbows
47LOXIJl.jpg

Reactions: bac0701

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Wanna know how to clean off excess 5200 before it sets.....sure everyone does!

Use WD-40 and a rag or towel ;)

Just don't ask me how I know :oops:

Seriously, even use it to get residue off your hands.

Happy for you that it's wrapped up.

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
UUUHG! so after we got the stainless scuppers in we worked on the deck drain end. Somehow we turned one of the scuppers while messing with the drains. I didn't notice it. We are both up in the boat at that point.
So the flapper was tilted but, worse, once I removed the excess 5200 it noticed the flange had come away from the hull at the bottom by 1/16" not quite 1/8". 5200 was set good.

quote from above<"I should probably wait until I clean up the 5200 before posting pix but I'm going to wait until its cured before messing with it anymore".>
If I had "messed" with the port side while it was wet I would have caught this....

Trying to get it out again was painful. We finally got it twisting but progress was slow. My brother got impatient and used channel locks on the flange (The shiny pretty part on the outside....).

5200FC is awesome stuff.

So its out and I got another one $56 coming tomorrow. He tried sanding that one but I'm like "its going in for 20 years its going to be nice".

Boat is going on Friday..I have to go into work on Wed/Thurs...I think we'll be in the dark on Wed evening.

We are both in pain from this....bruises on chest from leaning into hatch and trying to crank on channel locks.

I went to home depot and bought;
a piece of 2" PVC pipe to make a spin on wrench $5
a 3" adjustable plumbers wrench $12 https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Adjustable-Plumbers-Wrench-16PL0134/304217578
and a 2 1/2" telescoping basin wrench $41 that I will return unopened if the other two things work out
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-2-5-in-Basin-Wrench-48-22-7002/207103145

a 3 oz tube of 5200FC for $15.....the remainder of the 10oz tube I bought for $25 is already hardened....

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Those bronze scuppers may have been painted with copper anti fouling paint. That would have caused them to fail over time due to electrolysis. I sold Grady all their thru hulls and seacocks (valves) from about 94 to 2012 From Conbraco. US made high quality. Hatteras and Viking have used them for 40 years. Conbraco never made scuppers though. They were probably Perko.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
the NEW new scupper is in. Should have bought the 3" plumbers wrench and should have made a PVC wrench before I started this project.
If you do this...you need these.

I'm returning the $41 fancy Milwaukee toolscupper tools.jpeg

Last edited:

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Helpful, thanks for the share on that

Lsquared

Reaction score

Attachments

• drains.png
    drains.png
    116.9 KB · Views: 6

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
So I was thinking of replacing my scuppers as well and had this idea. Instead of cutting an access panel to get at the two scupper on the starboard side I could just cut the two drains and make them one. thoughts?
pic attached too in case link dont work

You have two 1 -1/2" hoses going to two 1-1/2" transom scuppers