Deck Plate replacement

Papa

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
O-rings need to be replaced on a somewhat regular basis - that should give you better life out of a 'normal' deckplate. FYI, just because you pop the cover off and see water on the top of the tank, doesn't mean the plate is leaking. The gas tank coffin is not sealed and water can freely travel in there from the bilge... and you can have condensation building up on the underside of the floor hatch, which then drips onto the gas tank.
You're dead on with that. The condensation has always been an issue and I try to open up the plates every time I'm at the boat. I've actually resorted to placing two small battery operated fans over the openings to provide circulation, especially after I rinse the tanks. Once the tanks are out I may play around with the idea of adding a blower down in the coffin or replacing one two of the plates with a solar powered vent fan that I can pull out when i use the boat. Lots of things to play with.

Papa

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I happen to like every bit of advice Fishtales provides on this board.
And he is right on as to the Beckson plates.

I changed mine out some 8 years ago due to his reason #1. There was a GW Marlin that filled with water and rolled because a pop out lid released in the splash well in the euro-transom area (just forward of the outboards).

I didn't know a tool was available to unscrew a tight lid. Instead, I made my own tool and like to keep the threads greased up a bit.

While the Armstrong may be a tad better than the Beckson screw in (not convinced), I don't care for the look of the Armstrong but that's me.

For tight lids I use a wrench that tightens sink drains. They open wide enough and make the job really easy.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I really like the 6" Beckson screw ins. .

Just a cautionary tale about ordering deck plates....normally a 6" deck plate is 6" Outside diamete of the entire unit including ring, an 8" deck plate is 8" Outside diameter.
My Grady has 8" deck plates.

I ordered 8" on ebay (it was such a great deal!) and got 8" Inside Diameter, had to send them back....sometimes they label them differently.

Edit !!!
OK don't listen to me I'm still screwed up....
You do want 6" deck plates. Beckson sizes them by the finished opening in the trim. So a 6" requires a 6 1/2" hole and is 8 1/8" OD with the trim.

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You're dead on with that. The condensation has always been an issue and I try to open up the plates every time I'm at the boat. I've actually resorted to placing two small battery operated fans over the openings to provide circulation, especially after I rinse the tanks. Once the tanks are out I may play around with the idea of adding a blower down in the coffin or replacing one two of the plates with a solar powered vent fan that I can pull out when i use the boat. Lots of things to play with.
It's a good thought to try an active method to combat condensation. Aluminum will self-protect itself, but it needs good contact with air to do so. The only downside to using fans of course, is this becomes an 'extra' thing to do. I'm not sure just blowing air into there will be very effective if there's no where for the damp air to go? But, one fan blowing in and one fan blowing out should work. Still, though, more work than I'd want to do.

Your existing tanks lasted 30 years and they were just plain aluminum? I assume you'll probably have your new tanks epoxy coated, which will make them last much longer. I think I'd just make sure they were properly coated and properly installed (with the underside of the tank 'supports' being very important) and call it day and not hassle with fans. If the tanks now last 40 or 50 years... and no messing with fans every time (which may not add any more life to the tank, anyways)... I'd be a happy camper.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Yes. The beige matches. They make the stock GW ones.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Yea, it's still cold up here and I don't have a lot to do except wait for warmth...

I checked and the stock plates are labeled 6". They sell screw out and pryout models with two locations for your fingers. The 8" have four finger locations. The one I have is a DP62-N (dimpled), I got a good sale price on them at the time. Here is the link for the screw out:
https://beckson.com/screwout.html

The DP64-N is the diamond pattern like the stock ones.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Really reaching now... I found 6" deck plates with a nylon bag inside for dry storage. They also sell the bags individually. I believe they will fit in existing deck plates.
I'm going to order one of the 12" ones and see how it works out. They also sell the small rectangular aft berth window. I replaced the frame around it last year as mine split.

Bag Only
D6S-BAGBAG ONLY 6x12" NYLEA$26.25
D6S-BAG-20BAG ONLY 6x22" NYLEA$31.15
D6S-BAGN24BAG ONLY 6x24" BEI NYLEA$35.80

Gasket Only https://beckson.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=24_26&osCsid=88495c94739d8764e5893043708c8b85
D6P-GGASKET ONLY 6"PRY DPEA$4.50

Their catalog.... https://www.beckson.com/files/marine2019/index.html?page=1

Last edited:

Papa

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Beckson sells a Cowl top deck plate that looked like it could be an option. I need to get some pricing on it to see.

Papa

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It's a good thought to try an active method to combat condensation. Aluminum will self-protect itself, but it needs good contact with air to do so. The only downside to using fans of course, is this becomes an 'extra' thing to do. I'm not sure just blowing air into there will be very effective if there's no where for the damp air to go? But, one fan blowing in and one fan blowing out should work. Still, though, more work than I'd want to do.

Your existing tanks lasted 30 years and they were just plain aluminum? I assume you'll probably have your new tanks epoxy coated, which will make them last much longer. I think I'd just make sure they were properly coated and properly installed (with the underside of the tank 'supports' being very important) and call it day and not hassle with fans. If the tanks now last 40 or 50 years... and no messing with fans every time (which may not add any more life to the tank, anyways)... I'd be a happy camper.
Yes they are the original tanks and not coated. I am having one coated as it was in much worse shape than the other. Without the coating I expect the tanks may out live the boat! I usually pop all 4 plate and put one fan over each tank when I'm just puttering around. I'll go over in AM and let them run all day. Make me feel like I'm doing something :)