Do you think these cushions will clean up?

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The idea is to keep the mold from forming in the first place. Mold needs moisture, food, and shade in order to grow. I try to keep all of the vinyl clean using that Starbrite deck cleaner whenever I wash down the boat. Mold grows on pollen and other dirt components that get carried in as dust. Get rid of that and it can't grow. I also use 303 at least twice a year. It seems to seal the pores in the vinyl surface layer.

ElMar

Reaction score
Helm chair back rest.

1st pic after a scrubbing with soft scrub then the SEM pre treatment schedule.

2nd pic three coats of paint from SEM off white.

Not bad. Going to do all cushions on my 268.

2F9F88E8-7436-4C77-8495-C93A7BA8D2C8.jpeg

037A3E4C-8659-4B82-9F16-812D8243C427.jpeg

Fishtales

Reaction score
Let us know how that holds up. They look great, durability is my only question.

ElMar

Reaction score
Let us know how that holds up. They look great, durability is my only question.

That was my concern but I figured for less than $100 I would take a shot for this season.

Once dry, you can't scratch it with your fingernail so intial tests look good.

ElMar

Reaction score
Yes, all the seats on my Islander were sun faded and stained.

The stern seat was the worst with some cracking. So I filled the crackes with crazy glue gel and coated it.

If it gets me through the season I will be happy.

Greyduk

Reaction score
I think it really turned out well. I researched the vinyl spray/paint for my rear seat. It was mildew stained pretty bad and I could not get much improvement at first try. I then used the Starbrite Mold and Mildew Stain Remover and it did an unbelievable job so I didn't have to spray, but it is an interesting remedy. I look forward to keeping up with how it holds up.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Those armrests came out amazing. I would have thought they were done for.

O

oliver305

I used 303 product to remove mildew stain on the vinyl seat, and its results are very good.

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What a difference, everything looks almost new.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Everything looks very good. I didn't think you'd get it all out. Nice job.

jillyrubyjane

Reaction score
Model
Dolphin
I think it could be clean, You can use Marine 31 mildew remover, as it works with me. This stuff is amazing. When the bottle arrived I immediately went out and sprayed all of my seats, grabbed the brush to scrub them and the seat I sprayed first was totally clean. I would definitely recommend this product to anyone with a boat or who had outside furniture that gets any mold/mildew. It is safe on most materials and is water safe so you can use it on boats that stay docked all the time and not feel bad about it getting rinsed off and killing fish.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
WOW on the armrests, I have seen those on boats before and said, gee, those have to be replaced. No way to clean that! But, those look amazing! Nice recovery!

One thing I have experienced if you get in a bind....I had some black specs in the vinyl on my seats. Nothing I tried would work, even straight bleach. However, that was likely due to it would not stay in place long enough to penetrate into the vinyl. Could not soak it like you did arm rests.

I found one product to work which is Scrubbing Bubbles Foaming bleach. I would spray it on, let it soak, brush it, apply more every 10 min, and about 30 min. in, the spots were gone.

I first clean the seats though with soap/water, this helps to soak the threads and suppresses damage from the bleach. So far, several seasons later, no thread damage and just reuse as needed. I even keep my seats covered, and they occasionally still get these black mold specs down in the vinyl for some reason .

I have started using the Starbrite Vinyl Guard with good results. Doesn't seem to make the seats too slick.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I bought my project Seafarer a year ago and immediately removed the arm rests as they were in rough shape but just tried the bleach, water and dish soap this morning. Only took about a 2 hour soak and they look much better, thanks for the tip, here’s a before and after picture, not vinyl arm rests but hard plastic

Attachments

• F2E90F3D-E5C9-43FE-9CF9-530F851DBDD6.jpeg
    F2E90F3D-E5C9-43FE-9CF9-530F851DBDD6.jpeg
    409 KB · Views: 3