Dodge Ram ecodiesel for towing a 228?

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I'm a chevy guy but my flatbed gets 13mpg empty, not towing. Ouch. Time to think about an upgrade with $7/gallon diesel. And I want to dedicate the Chevy to being a quick attack fire truck (425 gallons, 160PSI pump, etc, I live in an extreme fire danger zone).

I was looking at the 3.0L dodge ram ecodiesel and the 2022 model claims it can tow 12,000 pounds. My boat + trailer is about 7,000.

Has anyone gone this route with a 228 (or bigger) and does it actually work? Better question is "does it stop?"

James Franchek

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just bought a 2000 226 Seafarer and towed it across the state with a 2017 VW Touareg. I am used to towing as we normally tow a 26 foot Airstream. This is within the towing limits for the VW and I got 14 mpg towing the Grady White. I know that everyone has at least one (or more) opinion(s) on towing capacity but I have been back and forth across the country several times with the Touareg towing our travel trailer and have always felt very comfortable and get great milage (relatively speaking). Of course, a big truck would tow differently (and effortlessly probably) but as we are careful and never take chances, have always felt comfortable. As an aside, Andy at CanAm in Ontario is the best source for towing issues I have ever encountered.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Any newer half ton truck will stop (you're right, that is a better question to ask than power) a small boat just fine, even if the trailer only has surge brakes (as opposed to EOH). Do you have brakes on both axles (you should)?

I've never towed with the Ecodiesel Ram, but I've towed with countless rigs. Extrapolating from my experience, it would have no problems in the power category. Heck, it's rated for 12K and your boat is only 7K! :) Personally, I wouldn't even give it a second thought... and probably not even a first thought.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That Ecodiesel will be perfect for towing your 228.

James, you are right about the Touareg…it’s a fantastic mid size SUV that is rated to tow 7700. It’s a shame they don’t sell them here anymore. I’m on the hunt for a 2015-16 TDI with low mileage and plenty of diesel warranty left. If I can find one, the F150 is going away.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I tow my 228 all over with a 2014 f150 ecoboost with the tow package. It does not bat an eye at the 7k lbs and stops with out any issues. I would not hesitate to use the eco diesel as a tow rig for your 228.

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You will be perfectly fine with that truck.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for all the replies (and yes, disc brakes on all for wheels, surge style system, not electric). Now I have to go find one :cool:

Thanks again.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I tow mine with a 2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L v8 that's rated for 10,800 lbs of towing of which it does so quite easily and I've never had any issues at all with stopping power. I get anywhere from 12-13 mpg when towing on the highway, slightly less when towing in town and also depending upon terrain and weather conditions, though I don't oftentimes tow my boat more than 10-15 miles at the most, especially with gas prices being what they are and only going to go up from here.