Drain plugs in rear deck scuppers?

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I've got a kicker on my 228's swim platform so I have a lot of weight on the back of the boat. When crabbing, with people standing back there, water comes in the scuppers that drain out the two rear corner drains. So you are standing in water. Not a fan.

So far, it is really rare that I need those drains to drain, the only time I've needed that is when I'm cleaning the boat. I get that if I stuffed the bow, I'd need them to work (though if the cockpit is really full then the forward drains would come into play so that is some help).

I'm wondering if (A) this is a known issue with 228s and (B) what have people done about it.

I'm thinking that maybe I pull those, mine look like this: https://www.replacementboatparts.com/images/products/display/1477016627KD4VX1.1.jpg
and stick a plug in there with a nice handle on it so if I stuff the bow, I go pull the plugs so things drain.

Nutty idea? Have a better one?

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Check your rubber flappers on the outside of your scupper drains. They should be taking care of most of this problem. If they have developed a curve, remove the two screws at the top and turn the flap over, and see if it seals better.
If you decide to get rid of the originals, I’ll take them off your hands. But seriously, if you unscrew the chrome drain in the cockpit, that is all that is holding the elbow up to the bottom of the deck to make the seal. Otherwise water is just going to run into your bilge.
If you really wanna go nuts, you could put a big inch and a half PVC ball valve in the middle of the hose, between the scupper and the deck drain.
You really don’t want a wave draining out of your front scuppers , because you won’t be able to keep it out of your cabin, which has a tiny little half inch drain. Then you’re going to be bow heavy, and have trouble controlling the boat in heavy seas.
If you did take a wave, you want to keep power on and keep the bow up, to drain out the back, which will take forever.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
FYI, this isn't a "Grady" problem - this would affect any boat that has excess weight in the stern. It's just physics!

The ping pong ball scuppers do work well - but you have to watch if they get tangled/clogged with weeds. Same thing here - doesn't matter what "brand" boat they are on.

I would NOT suggest doing anything to defeat the purpose of the cockpit drains nor, as noted above, think that the forward drains would do the job. That's a recipe for disaster. As water piles into the boat, if it starts to settle forward, it will just get worse and worse. You want the back end lower.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
FYI, this isn't a "Grady" problem - this would affect any boat that has excess weight in the stern. It's just physics!

The ping pong ball scuppers do work well - but you have to watch if they get tangled/clogged with weeds. Same thing here - doesn't matter what "brand" boat they are on.
I know it isn't a Grady problem, I should have been more clear. I was wondering if those ball scuppers are sized right to fit over the Grady exits or if I need to look for a certain size.

Copy on the weed issue, seems like I just make it part of my routine of cleaning the outside of the boat/trailer, add a second to spray them out.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I know it isn't a Grady problem, I should have been more clear. I was wondering if those ball scuppers are sized right to fit over the Grady exits or if I need to look for a certain size.

Copy on the weed issue, seems like I just make it part of my routine of cleaning the outside of the boat/trailer, add a second to spray them out.
The one boat that I used them on... they "replace" the existing scuppers (black flap) and just fit over the hole in the hull. It's been a while - but I seem to remember that's all you really have to do. Obviously, seal any penetrations into the transom core.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Lucky,
I replace the black perko flaps in the scupper every year. I know it might sound excessive, but those things dry out and do not seal well then. I get a tiny bit of water but not enough to ever worry about.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Lucky,
I replace the black perko flaps in the scupper every year. I know it might sound excessive, but those things dry out and do not seal well then. I get a tiny bit of water but not enough to ever worry about.
Huh, I can try that. Mine have let water in since day 1 of ownership (new boat). Do you have to replace the whole drain like this implies?
or is there a way to just get new flaps?

Reactions: Ryhlick

Fishtales

Reaction score
Could look into a check valve that you could have cut into the hose. It only allows flow one way.
Here is one just as an example. I'd go to a plumbing supply store.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My 228 does it without a kicker . I troll and sometime when slow down or stop and the big guy is in the back we get water on the deck. It doesn't bug me. I would NOT block those drains even on a big boat . That's a huge safety risk and the drains make the boat self bailing . I have taken green water over the bow and that water came rushing down the sides and out the back it went. No stress or worries . Now if you had a 226 with an open transom the drains on that boat sort of have a back up with a splash well to let water out if it came to that.. the full closed stern of the 228 prevents that from happening and the drains are it.

You can replace the OEM with ping pong balls and those will help and they will also slow the draining of the deck . It's a double edge sword as it were.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Huh, I can try that. Mine have let water in since day 1 of ownership (new boat). Do you have to replace the whole drain like this implies?
or is there a way to just get new flaps?
Interesting, here is what I replace mine with. I think it is worth a shot, since it's so easy and only a few dollars.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've been wondering the same thing with regards to my boat as I leave my boats out on a mooring buoy for weeks or more on end, and a flimsy piece of rubber keeping the water out isn't very reassuring. What about something like this where it's a little bit more durable than the cheap rubber flap?

And/or maybe doing a combination of that and something like this in the cockpit where you put a drain plug in while you're not running the boat and it's on a buoy or whatnot?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That looks like the best answer, gonna try that. Thanks!
I think they definitely look like one of the best answers out there as well. Let me know what you think of them as I think I'll also have to try them out for myself.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
The system works because water doesn't naturally flow up hill. When the boat is empty at the dock or on the hook the decks will drain and seawater ,even if it gets past the flapper won't bother anything because your deck drain is above the the scupper through hull fitting. Now if your hoses leak well you could have an issue with the water filling your bilge . New boat shouldn't have leaky hoses . Two years ago this spring I put in new stainless deck drains and new hoses.