EPIRB?

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Who has one? Which one did you choose, and why? Who has had to use one (or know someone that has) and how did that work out? PLB in addition to EPIRB or in place of?
I’m leaning towards this one:
CF0D3FDA-75D6-4D11-8F5D-869C5B48CA58.jpeg

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have this one. Just had it updated with new Battery etc. ACR parts and service are available everywhere.
ACR GlobalFIX V4 (EPIRB) Cat II Class 2

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Looks like you both opted for manual activation units. I was leaning that way too. I do like the GPS with AIS model as more and more boaters are using AIS and may be closer than coast guard in an emergency.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Acr global, vhf with GPS/distress, handheld vhf and 3plbs on life vest. If any of them fail I want to know I have a backup plan. I do like the acr because if the 10yr battery and easy replacement of it.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Haven't purchased mine yet, but it will be the ACR also. Will pick it up before my Florida trip in June.

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Seems like ACR has the biggest following here in the US, but not so much in the rest of the world. The McMurdo has 10 yr battery life and can be swapped out by consumer.

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Some good information I scraped from the net.

The best beacon to have is the one you have with you when you need it!

EPIRBs are required to float in an upright position totransmit (perform best when floating)

PLBs float so they won’t get lost, some need pouch to float.(They need to be held out of the water or attached high up on PFD for best transmission)

EPIRBs are required to transmit for a minimum of 48hrs at tempsdown to -40C or -20C (Longer in nominal temps)

PLBs are required transmit for a minimum 24 hrs at tempsdown to -20C (Longer in nominal temps)

EPIRBs are required to be manually activated in or out oftheir bracket or automatically activated when out of the bracket and in the water

PLBs are required to be manually activated only

EPIRBs are required to have a strobe light (or flashing light)

PLBs are not required to have a strobe (some newer versionshave flashing LEDs)

EPIRBs are designed to be mounted in a bracket or carried ina ditch bag

PLBs are designed to be worn or carried on your persons

EPIRBs are registered to the vessel

PLBs are registered to the person and are legal to be usedon land as well

I would also add that if you are out on the boat by yourself, a PLB strapped to your body is better than an EPIRB in a bracket if you go overboard. If you have competent crew that could activate an EPIRB in your absence, then an EPIRB is the way to go.

Please remember you need to be prepared to survive the environment you may find yourself in. The further off shore you go, the longer it will take rescuers to get on scene. An EPRIB floating in the water attached by its tether is easier to manage than holding a PLB in the air. I would also suggest that if you have a PLB, than find a way to strap it to your life jacket in advance. (Up in the collar bone area) Treading water with one arm up in the air will be very tiresome.

Both are required to be registered with NOAA. It’s quick,easy and free and can be done online at http://www.beaconregistration.noaa.gov/

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Looks like you both opted for manual activation units. I was leaning that way too. I do like the GPS with AIS model as more and more boaters are using AIS and may be closer than coast guard in an emergency.

in addition to the Epirb. I have an Icom 605 with AIS. That’s only good for VHF range though. We will be fishing 75 miles offshore and making trips to the Bahamas.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
One of your most important survival tools! In my opinion, all certified brands are good and the only significant differences that I am aware of between the classes comes down to activation and battery life. Almost all units now contain their own GPS to reduce the search area. More is always better, but if you are in warm climate waters and/or near a USCG Air Station and have a current registration, battery life shouldn't be much of a concern. Once activated, a CG unit (aircraft or vessel) will be on scene to investigate in a relatively short time frame. The ability to field replace batteries is valuable as I just had to pay $120 to replace the batteries in my ACR PLB and get it re-certified. However, re-certification comes with a true transmission test which added to my piece of mind. Remember though that in cold water (< about 65F) you won't last as long as 24 hours and below 60F may not last more than four hours without a Type 1 PFD and cold water immersion suit of some kind. Take it from this old retired USCG SAR pilot, get one and keep it registered and certified.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
One of your most important survival tools! In my opinion, all certified brands are good and the only significant differences that I am aware of between the classes comes down to activation and battery life. Almost all units now contain their own GPS to reduce the search area. More is always better, but if you are in warm climate waters and/or near a USCG Air Station and have a current registration, battery life shouldn't be much of a concern. Once activated, a CG unit (aircraft or vessel) will be on scene to investigate in a relatively short time frame. The ability to field replace batteries is valuable as I just had to pay $120 to replace the batteries in my ACR PLB and get it re-certified. However, re-certification comes with a true transmission test which added to my piece of mind. Remember though that in cold water (< about 65F) you won't last as long as 24 hours and below 60F may not last more than four hours without a Type 1 PFD and cold water immersion suit of some kind. Take it from this old retired USCG SAR pilot, get one and keep it registered and certified.

Amen. That was the first thing I did when I changed boats. Re registered and serviced Epirb

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have this one. Just had it updated with new Battery etc. ACR parts and service are available everywhere.
ACR GlobalFIX V4 (EPIRB) Cat II Class 2

X2 on above. Manual with built in GPS is all you need.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Also get a couple of corks you can put in a thru hull and a couple of tubs of Stay Afloat and put in your ditch bag.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I have this one GPS and free battery replacement at 5 years, these days they are very cheap under $200 US.
Here every boat going 2 miles offshore must have one , PLB is optional here.

1583574171477.png

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Just ordered this today, should be here next week. Should have had one a long time ago. ACR GlobalFIX V4 kit.

View attachment 13136

I might upgrade to what you bought next year. I have an ACR PLB. I have never used it. Hopefully never will. That equipment just gets better and more affordable as the years pass.

Reactions: Ky Grady

wrxhoon

Reaction score
It's like insurance you buy in the hope you never use it.
How much is the ACR GlobalFIX V4 KY?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The pictured kit was $549.95, add tax of $33, free shipping, total was $582.95. I picked up a Icom M25 handheld VHF last year, that will go in the bag also.

UPS tracking says it will be here Monday which is good as I'm heading out into Lake Erie on Friday morning for some Walleye. Lake Erie is like the ocean, nothing to mess with, Mother Erie deserves respect, she can get you.

I'm hoping I can register it to two boats, my Grady, and my buddies Targa , since we fish together on both, and it will be with me on whichever boat we use. Never had one so don't know how the registration goes.

IMG_2120.PNG

Reactions: RussGW270

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
ACR GlobalFix v4

I have this one. It has a 10 year USER REPLACEABLE battery. That was the selling point.

I also have an ACR PLB.

Those are what I have on my priority 1 list to buy, just as soon as I get thru June and.. well, get the boat wet.. lol

Wow.. @Ky Grady nice find!