EPIRB?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
About 10 years ago when those NFL players died fishing in the Gulf I wanted to know why they died. I called the Coast Guard Station abd spoke to a Lt there and he said they cleared their anchor to the stern and seas got bad. He told me had they had a PLB or EPIRB, that they would all have survived because they would have been on scene quickly. He was also impressed by my wanting to learn from their mistake.

I went out and got the PLB . I also learned this. There are things that happen because we do stupid stuff like trying to get an anchor unhung using a stern cleat. There are stupid things we do like push the weather envelope and be on the sea when we shouldn't. The best safety device we will ever have is our sound judgement and brains.

Your PLB and epirb need to in a spot where if you lose control of the boat and something happens quickly you can grab it quickly. My floating ditch bag is on the deck when we head out, not in the cabin. I Keep a line tied to my spring line cleats because if the boat rolls the lines are already attached and can be thrown over the hull providing a lashing to climb up on a slick boat bottom to hold onto especially in rough seas.

Having an epirb is great and I think every boater should buy one. Thinking about how quickly a boat can roll, you need to have quick access to your emergency gear. I hope never to need it and I also hope that if I do need it it's for an event where my boat is not turtled or on fire.

Last edited:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I remember the NFL guys and more recently the firefighter buddies lost. I have been slack about just now getting a EPIRB, been multiple times offshore and only a fix mount VHF and a cellphone that has no service out that far. Accidents happen, just been fortunate that none have.

Glad I've resolved this issue now. It will be with me on deck anytime I'm out. First trip will be Friday on Lake Erie. Hope to never have to use it, but glad I have it.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have the ACR GlobalFix v4 also. I also loaded the ditch bag with survival water, rations,VHF, First aid kit, flares, etc. We routinely run 120 miles offshore.
I also have a 6 man life raft.

Reactions: Ky Grady

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What an important thread!

Thx for the info Ky, hoping to see some good pics next week in the fishing reports section :cool:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What an important thread!

Thx for the info Ky, hoping to see some good pics next week in the fishing reports section :cool:

Just hope to have something to report!!! Watching the wind report every day. Do not want to see any North wind!

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
You guys up north add some kind of cold water protection (wet suits, dry suits, even coveralls are better than bare skin) during winter ops. water temp below 65F is deadly. EPIRB is great, but as a retired USCG pilot, it might be a few hours before they get there and I've seen skinny guys not make it that long! Also make sure it's registered, our first step was to verify the EPIRB/PLB owner, etc.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
A little FYI to share with you guys about registering the EPIRB for multiple boats.

I spoke with a nice lady at SARSAT about using my EPIRB on my buddies boat and then back to my boat. Explained to her that it was in a ditch bag and not mounted to the boat. It's as simple as going online and updating the registration to show his boat details instead of mine. After Lake Erie next weekend, I'll go back online and update registration to show my boat again. It's instant as soon as you submit, the details of the vessel change, so if something were to happen, SAR would be looking for the correct boat.

Reactions: RussGW270

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Received my EPIRB kit today from Hodges Marine, fast shipping. If I'd have ordered on a Monday, it would have been here on Wednesday. It has been sitting at UPS all weekend according to the tracking number.

A few extra pieces I added to mine. Handheld VHF, another whistle, a dry box for billfold and truck key. Will add water, flares, and other essentials in a few. Need a small, but good, First Aid kit for the bag.

20200518_185908.jpg

Reactions: UCPA111

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Received my EPIRB kit today from Hodges Marine, fast shipping. If I'd have ordered on a Monday, it would have been here on Wednesday. It has been sitting at UPS all weekend according to the tracking number.

A few extra pieces I added to mine. Handheld VHF, another whistle, a dry box for billfold and truck key. Will add water, flares, and other essentials in a few. Need a small, but good, First Aid kit for the bag.

View attachment 13255
Ky, your epirb looks like a big gulp :p

Lsquared

Reaction score

View attachment 13255
Nice..i put a flashlight and a few protein bars in case

Reactions: Ky Grady

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure

View attachment 13255

I’d add Burn Gel, Quick Clot, and something you can use to rig up a tourniquet. Assuming you’ve used the EPIRB you probably won’t be in a clean/dry enough situation to use most of a regular first aid kit; only keep few basic first aid essentials that you will be able to actually use if floating in the water or sitting on an overturned hull. Self-fusing silicone tape (i.e. Rescue Tape) might be useful. My main/big first aid kit has its own place on the boat.

Keeldad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
ACR should start paying a commission to whoever started this thread.