EPIRB's

Punchline Cap

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
My friend in the slip next to me were talking one day and the subject of EPIRB's came up. He told me he has one on his boat and it gives him a better sense of security when going out front. I mainly am in the 5 to 10 mile range offshore when I do go out but would possibly go 15 to 20. With a single engine I am not really comfortable doing the 80 miles to the canyon. My question is, what is the consensus on EPIRB's and do many people have them in their 20 to 30 foot boats?

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
you don't ever want to wish you had one when you need it.

offshore, it is always a good idea. wind and current can push you out. the prices aren't too bad, and considering what they are protecting (your and crews lives), its a pretty good value.

also look into PLBs

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have one, along with a hand held VHF, flares, water, whistle, in a ditch bag that sits at my feet at the helm. It's on a 228 Grady. Looking into a Garmin InReach Mini to go along with the above gear. Hope to never have to use any of it, but very glad I have it if the need arises.

Reactions: mhinch

SeaVee

Reaction score
Thought I posted link to video story. If you can find it, it’s pretty intense. Hopefully someone with better computer skills than I can find the video link.

Ryhlick

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you go off shore at all, it would be wise to have all your safety precautions. I fish in close for rockfish and as far as 60 miles off the beach in Oregon in my 228. If you go down and you do not have an PLB or EPIRB you are going to be tough to find. That being said, I carry a life raft, EPIRB, 2 PLB, hand held radio, flares, and strobes, and a yamaha 9.9 kicker. It is an investment, but what is your life worth to you? My .02

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I hate the idea of using my "boat budget" to get something I may never use. Everyone will say it is the single most essential thing you must get before you would ever go offshore. So many people on other forums just flat out, unintentionally, make you feel so guilty for not getting one... but it really is about one thing and one thing only...

Seconds matter when an emergency happens. This thing does not shave seconds off your rescue.. it flat out can shave hours or days....and can make the single biggest difference between being saved and being dead.

I broke down and got it because I did not want to take my kids or friends out without one.

It is expensive. If it takes you months or if you can just pay cash now, it really is important to get one, and keep it current. SUCH a small price to pay.

Either way, gl with the decision.

R

Reactions: brdawg2001

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have an older one without GPS and a newer version that has GPS built in. I also carry a PLB and a hand held vhf. Never needed, but if I do, they are in the two ditch bags ready to go.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Take it from a retired USCG rescue pilot, in my opinion, it is the second most important piece of emergency equipment you can have aboard. PFD's being #1. No matter how far offshore you go, a PLB takes the search out of search and rescue and provides immediate notification of your distress to the CG. If you go out when the water is cold (<65F) your survival time is limited.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
PLB at a minimum.

or ....substitute with an InREACH and get the minimum subscription. That gets you added benefit of TEXTing to your wife to say "you are here" or "we're staying out after dark"... I think its great...

Epirb is definitely something to have if you are going offshore. I have one.

Last edited:
Reactions: RussGW270

Holokai

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have an ACR Globalfix v4 EPIRB and an older ResQLink PLB. The EPIRB lives in a ditch bag in the helm that is easily accessible at all times and the PLB is on my PFD.

No matter what EPIRB or PLB you purchase make sure to do the monthly tests, get the batteries replaced per the manufacturer guidance, and keep your registration information updated.

I have a 208 and we fish between 10-30 miles offshore in often rough water; having the EPIRB and PLB are peace of mind and really not much more expensive than fuel for a few trips.

Reactions: efx and RussGW270

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I have a GPS EPIRB ( mandatory here), they come with a free battery replacement after 5 years and when 10 years old you must replace them with new. Any vessel going 2 kn miles offshore has to have an EPIRB as well as a lot of other safety gear like marine radio, life jackets , flares ( in date) , anchor , rope , whistle, fire extinguisher, V sheet, bucket with rope attached, bilge pump etc..
Shit can happen anytime so you have to be prepared for the worse and hopefully you never have to use any of that. This happen a couple days ago.
https://www.9news.com.au/national/f...oat-sank/bf571fee-49e9-4c4a-9f21-e0c986222555

Reactions: RussGW270

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I cannot see replacing a EPIRB or a PLB with an Inreach. Go with the first 2, and add an in reach for the extra razzledazzle. Don't rely on In reach for life saving.

Frankly I'd spend the extra cash on the program that can test the PLB. I used it in Oregon, Ketchikan and Zihuatenejo. The service is limited to a few companies.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Going beyond the question of whether to get one or not, can folks share which one they ultimately bought?

Researching about a month ago, a few sites seemed to classify EPIRBs, PLBs and Inreachs all as EPIRBs when giving their reviews/ rankings. These sites were helpful in finding the features to look for but confusing as they were all grouped together and I thought there was a specific purpose/ usage for each.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
What is your life worth? For perspective, an experienced boater I trust, put it to me this way: an EPIRB costs about the same as a really good inshore fishing outfit (Rod Reel Line).

There are a ton of scenarios that could come up where sending a radio message is not possible.

Like having a raft, it sucks to spend money on something you hope you never need, but if you need it, you'll wish you had.

Reactions: Ryhlick

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I cannot see replacing a EPIRB or a PLB with an Inreach. Go with the first 2, and add an in reach for the extra razzledazzle. Don't rely on In reach for life saving.

Frankly I'd spend the extra cash on the program that can test the PLB. I used it in Oregon, Ketchikan and Zihuatenejo. The service is limited to a few companies.

Obviously an offshore boat needs an Epirb. No argument.
In a perfect world, we'd have plbs on all of our offshore PFDs, and MOB beacons, and a remote kill switch

If you are a small bay and coast boat its hard to justify that expence. If you venture out to 10-15 miles regularly, you need something.
A plb is a poor mans epirb.

I think the inreach is a good sub for a plb.
It does the same function as a plb (push a button satelite SOS with gps position) plus it can leave a crumb trail of positions during your trip that are available to your loved ones and SAR.
and you can communicate two ways.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
If you go off shore at all, it would be wise to have all your safety precautions. I fish in close for rockfish and as far as 60 miles off the beach in Oregon in my 228. If you go down and you do not have an PLB or EPIRB you are going to be tough to find. That being said, I carry a life raft, EPIRB, 2 PLB, hand held radio, flares, and strobes, and a yamaha 9.9 kicker. It is an investment, but what is your life worth to you? My .02

I'd be interested to know which liferaft, how it is stored, and how it is inflated. Also, have you (or anyone) tried a practice ditch in lumpy conditions just to see if it works?

Also interested brands / models of all the stuff.

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Yes, EPIRB and inReach both. Text Service is only $16 month or so, less than most spend for other junk. You hope you never need any life saving tool, although I find texting useful on the way in sometimes for eta. Want a Life Raft too.