EVA Decking on the cheap

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
This is a compilation of several posts and conversations...

I kicked it around and decided to try it on the cheap . $268 for 4 strips. You could do it with 3 if you seam it differently. I used two on the main hatch seamed down the middle and one on each side. (10 "planks" from each roll)Lots of leftover because of where I put seams.
Two tubes of black GE silicone from HD.

Again, I admit it is not anywhere near what a pro Seadek job would do. but <$300!!! Its better than a worn out non-skid deck and easier than painting. I was going to need a non-skid paint job on the fishng deck. That was going to require sanding and prep anyways. So if putting this down in a couple hours delays that for a season I'm ahead of the game.

Price went down!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SM7RXTV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Started after lunch mostly done by dinner. No it’s not a professional job. I did the cuts freehand with a razor knife. It would be better to make piehole cuts on a table with a template. I just followed around the rim with the razor knife.
Razor knife works best if you don't stop. Really sharp blade. Try not to stretch the foam with the blade.
Look at your pieces. one factory edge is different than the other.

I decided to just cover the screw holes of the hatch and put the screws in by lifting the edge. You CAN lift the edge decking..at least right after you put it down. Worse case you poke a screwdriver thru it to remove the screws. I would leave less exposed if I did it again. I used a wide finger to cover the gelcoat with black silicone. Warning: Silicone will try to get everywhere! I have a few spots where I got wet black silicone on my elbow/knee/shoe and spread it where it doesn't belong
I did a very thin silicone at the forward edge and covered with one stripe on the vertical wall. It makes a nice clean straight line.

If I like it then someday maybe pay for professional CNC cuts. Makes me feel like I'm on a 38 sporty...

Some prep:
I scrubbed with Softscrub and a greenie to get everything out of the non-skid. Then I used acetone and a greenie and wiped clean.

I had some deep spider cracks where the deck meets the vertical of the livewell and tackle station. I had tried to grind them clean and use EpoxyRX/MarineRX. I ground to deep. The glass is very thin with no core in the radius bend. I ended up glassing and fairing that area flat instead of the "channel" that was formed in the deck. In the first picture you can see red fairing compound filling that area.
I figured that having that flat would help the decking stick and also make water run aft down the decking grooves....if you follow me?

X1x314Hl.jpg

eE42vh6l.jpg

CW3XkrAl.jpg

ozUoPJKl.jpg

391yLuSl.jpg

Obviously the CNC cuts with the curves and borders are way better than my straight lines. My deck was well worn and getting a little slick from 20 years of sliding coolers. I had nothing to lose to try it. I'm not sure how well it would stick on brand new diamond non-skid.
It feels awesome. We'll see how it stands up to my crew and tuna fishing. I might put some of the extra on the foc'sul for better footing at the anchor.

I have to say, based on just standing on it and kneeling on it, IT FEELS GREAT!. I hope it holds up at least thru a complete season.

Some asked about doing the helm and cabin...
Now see, I'm thinking contrary to others. I'm putting it on the fishing deck and NOT the helm and cabin.
I want it to cushion the 12 oz jigs and 2 lb lead weights when we're Tilefishing.
When we're fishing hard we end up tracking bait smush on our shoes up to the helm and down into the cabin. I don't want foam decking where I can't hose it.

My opinion is still positive. I had an old worn deck and I don't really care about perfection once fishing starts.

definitely harder to clean off clam bait. Can't use Softscrub because it might bleach it? Brush doesn't move clam. High pressure hose gets it after a few passes. (not pressure washer but just high pressure hose nozzle)
BUT..I've been on brand new boats with deep sharp non-skid that were just as hard to clean clam...

I think dried blood stays there for a while until it fades.
If you are one of those guys that obsesses over every smudge, you won't like it.

Can't slide coolers around. Can't slide anything because nothing slides! Feels great.

XgsWY6Cl.jpg

Wet is darker than dry. thats not stains.

Last edited:

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Hi,

Looks good!!! ....and this is coming from someone who isn't a fan of the look of EVA. I think I don't like it, because I immediately associate it with boats that are completely covered in it.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I think it looks good. I would only do the cockpit as you did. Cockpit takes a beating. Helm and walkway to bow don't get worn.

I started painting my boat last year. I'll do the gunnels down to the diamond non-skid and leave it at that. I'm pleased with the look so far.

Unsure what I'll do with cockpit. Diamond non-skid a little beat up and hard to repair. I'm not a fan of this type of material but maybe.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Looks good and sounds like a good option considering the condition of the deck.

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
my concern is that 3m stuff. being pressure sensitive the longer its down the harder it will likely be to clean it up. plus whatever extra adhesives used to put down edges and trims pcs. big mess that will eventually have to be dealt with plus what's underneath that caused the decision to use a glue down to begin with. only 2 options for my anal self. buy the diamond pattern and repair nonskid as required or repaint with non skid which I am doing. Everything is a pain in the butt one way or another but doing it right the first time saves a lot of frustration and time.
like I tell my clients if you can't afford to have me do it right the first time, how can you afford to do it twice. ;).

Reactions: kirk a

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
my concern is that 3m stuff. being pressure sensitive the longer its down the harder it will likely be to clean it up. plus whatever extra adhesives used to put down edges and trims pcs. big mess that will eventually have to be dealt with plus what's underneath that caused the decision to use a glue down to begin with. only 2 options for my anal self. buy the diamond pattern and repair nonskid as required or repaint with non skid which I am doing. Everything is a pain in the butt one way or another but doing it right the first time saves a lot of frustration and time.
like I tell my clients if you can't afford to have me do it right the first time, how can you afford to do it twice. ;).
If I had sharp deep diamond nonskid I wouldn’t do it. That could be difficult to clean out of grooves. With worn nonskid I’m not so worried. A scraper and acetone

Fixit

Reaction score
Model
Islander
nice, I've been considering doing the back deck too. nice finishing work. is that a caulked seam around the fuel tank hatch?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
So just found a con to this. If you don’t get the clam out of the groove the critters will. Hopefully it was a seagull not a rat

View attachment 30351

Wishful thinking! Doesn't look like a seagull to me. Had them on the boat Jan '22 in the Keys. Someone left a open bag of Cheetos tortia chips on the boat. Probably the cheese and oil combination kept it coming back. I put small and large traps out inside the boat and around the helm. It would trip them and walk off sometimes dragging the trap. Chewed up my GoPro floating case, polly rope on throw ring, left droppings. Took me 10 days to finally get it. That's a large trap in the photo.
Key Rat.jpeg
This year I took all food off every day and closed up the cabin (not that that would stop them from getting in). If you think you have visitors look ford droppings and set a few traps.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Wishful thinking! Doesn't look like a seagull to me. Had them on the boat Jan '22 in the Keys. Someone left a open bag of Cheetos tortia chips on the boat. Probably the cheese and oil combination kept it coming back. I put small and large traps out inside the boat and around the helm. It would trip them and walk off sometimes dragging the trap. Chewed up my GoPro floating case, polly rope on throw ring, left droppings. Took me 10 days to finally get it. That's a large trap in the photo.
View attachment 30369
This year I took all food off every day and closed up the cabin (not that that would stop them from getting in). If you think you have visitors look ford droppings and set a few traps.
It might have been a racoon. We saw one the other night climbing into a neighboring boat