Evinrude E-Tec any opions ?

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
You sure do have a thin skin CJ. There is nothing "wild" about what I said, I posted facts and figures and left my opinion out of it. I let readers decide for themselves what engine is best for them. You are reading in your own interpretation of what you think I meant and your bias is clearly showing.

In both my posts I NEVER said I don't like etecs - YOU put those words in my mouth.

If you think the 2 gals of gas I keep in the garage for my lawnmower is the same fire hazard that the 16 GALLON "keg" of 2S oil you originally mentioned then you go right ahead believing that.

If you're unlucky enough to have a fire I can just hear the fire marshall say having that much oil around contributed to it. And your homeowners insurance may very well find a way to deny coverage because you were storing that much. If you think its worth it then you go ahead and gamble.

If you're too cheap to buy the PBR test then here is another test done on the same boat by Evinrude themselves no less that confirmed the etecs get significantly worse fuel economy than Yamaha 4S's.

- The E-tec burns 3 gallons more across the operating range. Even at a 1K rpm troll, the E-tec burns twice as much as the F250. Do the math but thats gonna cost significantly more than a 4S in fuel.

http://www.evinrude.com/NR/rdonlyres/CC ... /PE426.pdf

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/prod ... 250tur.pdf

As far as a 4S being the the only way engine manufacturers could meet the EPA regulations - actually the 2S etec does and is a cleaner running engine than most 4S's. So much for 4S's being the only way for manufacturers to comply with the EPA regs. And yet that's still not enough for people to prefer the etec over a 4S.

And if you're handy enough to change the oil and gear lube on a 4S, they're no more expensive to maintain either. The money you save on buying 2S oil at $ 40 a gallon more than offsets that maintenace that only dealers usually do on 4Ss like timing belts etc.

You obviously didn't want to understand my "orphan" comment either. I said if you repower a GW with an etec it'll become an orphan meaning there are not many GW's at all out there with an etec. Most people associate GW with just Yamaha engines because they've been exclusively installing them for many many years. Hang an etec on a GW and it will be an oddball.

Perhaps you ought to look at this list of NINETEEN boat manufacturers that install 4S's exclusively and have built many thousands of boats with them.

- Angler, Boston Whaler, Century, Cobia, Contender, Edgewater, Everglades, Fountain ( rare Merc Opti ) , Grady-White, Jupiter, Polar, Pursuit, Regulator, Robalo, Scout, SeaHunt, SeaFox, Southport, WorldCat.

And how many boat manufacturers install the etec exclusively ?? - NONE !!!!

High end boat builders like Intrepid, SeaVee, Venture, and Yellowfin have told me at boat shows that the vast majority of boats they build have 4S's now with very few 2Ss anymore.

Their boats are the most expensive on the market and their customers can afford whatever they want. Its another indication that boaters who want the best outboard engine get a 4S over any 2S. If you won't believe me then call the companies and prove it to yourself.

Bama96

Reaction score
I also have heard that Bom is trying to sell Evinrude and have been for sometime. My dealer happens to sell both and said he prefers Yamaha because of how easy they are to work with on warranty issues. He stated that Evinrude always give him trouble and are always looking for a way to not pay for a warranty claim. Takes them twice as long to approve claims, pay claims, and send parts. I like the E-tec and would not mind having one but that would worry me.

richie rich

Reaction score
First of all, CJ is probably the least bias guy when it comes to engine bashing as he is giving Etecs their fair share while actually owning a Yamy F150.
Secondly, gasoline is one of the most flammable materials out there...a few gallons has enough explosive energy of a few dozen sticks of dynamite...2 cycle oil does not have the same vapor pressure or auto ignition temperature as gasoline,,thats why its sold in stores like WalMart, Piggly Wiggly and any other mom and pop vending store across the country. An insurance company does not give a rats a..s about how much oil you have in your garage, but it does care how much gas you store....so CJ is right on with this....2 cycle oil is a combustable liquid, not a highly flammable and explosive liquid. Having a drum of oil is much safer than 2 gallons of gas...pour some on the ground, throw a match and see what happens to both...thats why diesel fuel, which is more volatile than 2 cycle oil, is much more safer on a boat than a gas inboard engine. If you cannot understand this, you should not be posting information on any website regarding the dangers of oil vs gas.

3rdly, because you are a commercial fisherman/boat operator, your scenario does not match up with the typical scenario that Joe the individual boat owner goes through during the life of an engine. As a commercial user, you're putting on those hours in a very short period of time....a few years maybe...a typical Grady owner would never see those hours until he reached retirement age and the boat was ready for the junk yard or a total restoration. Any engine made loves to run...the more it runs, the better it runs and the less problems you have.....your motors never see 5 to 10 hours once a week for 3 to 4 months and then sit idle in sub freezing weather for the remaining 6 to 10 months....you never see high temp-low temp cycling, you never see what happems to the gaskets, rings and bearings when they go through this, you never see sour gas and fuel separation, or aluminum tank corrosion falling into the fuel tank and getting into the engine, you never see a leaking carb gasket or corrode shift shaft....there's a reason a semi-truck gets 500,000 to 700,000 miles before a rebuild and the average diesel F250 gets 150-200k before smoking like a pig......thermal cycling kills an engine or any other material...your commercial scenario does not match the same scenario average Joe sees with his boat and engine combo

4thly, you may have a ton of experience with your Yamy's for your sitiuation, but you have no back up material other that "THT" the ultimate source of information, or an article in a magazine....have you tried to run Etec.s side by side in your sitiuation? NO. To say that you did not say or mean those things in your post and CJ was putting words in your mouth was total BS....it's very plain and simple to see what what you said. And again, your reasoning that you can do your own maintenance on your engines means its cheaper than running an Etec is a joke...the comaparison to real life sitiuations with average Joe is really no comparison at all.

I'm not the oldest and most experienced guy on this website but I try to keep an open mind to everything everyone has to say regarding their boats and problems. Hitting the far right or left on any topic is not my way of thinking or reasoning....It doesn't come across that way with you Southeast FL.......the average guy is looking for level headed help on this site...not bias.....and calling out CJ as thin skinned because of his opinion is pretty sad....your scenario is the exception not the norm.....

Zrob

Reaction score
Bama96 said:
My dealer happens to sell both and said he prefers Yamaha because of how easy they are to work with on warranty issues. He stated that Evinrude always give him trouble and are always looking for a way to not pay for a warranty claim. Takes them twice as long to approve claims, pay claims, and send parts. I like the E-tec and would not mind having one but that would worry me.

I also heard something similar too, I forgot all the details but the bottom line was that Yamaha DOES have its act together! A great dealer network and great to work with.

On the other hand, I do see LOTS of OLD 2 strokes still running! Probably because they have been around a lot longer and they get re-built and come back for more.

I like the Yamaha's but I also think the E-Tec's have a real chance of doing well. I hope they can improve their dealer network, if so they should do ok.

Bill_N

Reaction score
My buddy has a 29 Hydrasport CC with twin 250 Etecs. They're pigs on gas compared to my F225's. We did an offshore run yesterday with his boat and burned 154 gals of gas and I don't know how much oil. I'm sure I could've done that trip for less than 100 gals in my 265.

Maybe the smaller engines are better but his 250's are gas hogs.

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
richie rich said:
First of all, CJ is probably the least bias guy when it comes to engine bashing as he is giving Etecs their fair share while actually owning a Yamy F150.

An insurance company does not give a rats a..s about how much oil you have in your garage, but it does care how much gas you store.

Having a drum of oil is much safer than 2 gallons of gas.

3rdly, because you are a commercial fisherman/boat operator, your scenario does not match up with the typical scenario that Joe the individual boat owner goes through during the life of an engine.

4thly, you may have a ton of experience with your Yamy's for your sitiuation, but you have no back up material other that "THT" the ultimate source of information, or an article in a magazine....have you tried to run Etec.s side by side in your sitiuation?

I'm not the oldest and most experienced guy on this website but I try to keep an open mind to everything everyone has to say regarding their boats and problems.

CJ has proven himself to be VERY biased, and so are your comments.

How do you know what my or anyone else's insurance company is going to cover should a fire related claim arise ? Have you checked with mine ? You don't even know who they are, how can you check with a company you don't even know ?

Have you tested a "16 gallon keg" of 2s oil to see how ignitable and flammable it is ? Where are your test results and they'd better be independently done cause my engine tests were yet you still rejected them.

I never said I was or am a commercial fisherman. If you'd bothered to actually read what I posted many NON commercial 4S owners reported they've gotten THOUSANDS of hours on their 4S engines. Down here in sunny FL we actually use our boats ALOT and you don't need to be a commercial fisherman to pile up alot of hours.

Regarding the test results I provided obviously you didn't even bother to read them cause if you had you'd of seen they were done by EVINRUDE THEMSELVES !!!!!!!! They provided the test results and THEY proved the etec's fuel economy is MUCH worse than the Yamaha.

Like you admitted, you obviously aren't the most experienced person on this website but you sure are the most close minded. I posted SIX links to back up what I posted and let readers decide for themselves whats best, you and CJ supplied none. Try reading what I post next time before you make all sorts of wild and unsupported assumptions that only serve your very biased opinions.

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
Bama96 said:
My dealer happens to sell both and said he prefers Yamaha because of how easy they are to work with on warranty issues. He stated that Evinrude always give him trouble and are always looking for a way to not pay for a warranty claim. Takes them twice as long to approve claims, pay claims, and send parts.

I spoke with the # 1 Wellcraft dealer in the country, Sundance Marine in Ft Lauderdale, Fl who also sells Evinrudes, and he told me the same thing and recently posted this about them.

Posted by sundancekid ( the 24 year old son of the owner ) on THT:

"I wouldn't touch an E-Tec with a 10' pole from my personal experience".

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... ado-2.html

richie rich

Reaction score
Southeast FL.....You're right, I guess I am a little bias to the 2 strokes....there's nothing better than starting a 2 stroke engine at 4 in the morning and smelling that flammable (not) and very dangerous keg of 2 cycle oil on a crisp fall day. And it really pisses off those 4 stroke guys trying to sleep at the marina. But the marina owner loves me because I probably buy more than twice the fuel of anyone else, right?. I wish those YAMAHAS hanging off my transom could do a better job.

You're right again, as I don't know your insurance agent....but in your same words, do you know mine? How about my Fire Marshal?
After a very thorough investigation and walk through with my agent when I was getting my policy underwritten, the discussion about frame construction, chemical storage, as in gas and solvents, and fuel oil were done in detail. According to him, more than the average container for home lawnmower type use was a big no no......but the 200 gallons of fuel oil insdie my basement was no big deal...just make sure the furnace is serviced to prevent CO and the tank doesn't leak into the ground creating an environmental hazard.

You see, if you understood how to read an NFPA reg or an MSDS, you would comprehend that any liquid with a flashpoint above 100F is a combustible material, not flammable. That means it would self extinguish after being lit because there's no vapor/air mixture under nornal circumstances (temp and pressure) above the fluid to burn. Flammables, like gas, have a much lower flash point...-45F in this case. Which means it has a layer of solvent vapor at all times which when combined with air can self sustain and explode in the right conditions. Fuel oils and diesel have a flashpoint of around 140F. 2 cycle oils and other types as well, have a flashpoint of around 170F. That means it would require between a 170-220F minimum heat source applied at a sustained rate to actually ignite and stay lit. So when you're contemplating what to do about that dangerous keg of 2 cycle oil during a fire on your boat, you really shouldn't worry, because the 200 or so gallons of gas underneath your feet will blow you and your passengers right over Cape Canavral. (CJ, did i spell that right, Canavral?)

Ah, and the proof! Look at the codes...they are NFPA or National Fire Protection Agency...they are just as valid here in my state, as they are in sunny Florida...you're insurance guy (the one that I don't know) pretty much uses it as a bible. How do I know that? Because when I design a manufacturing facility, or piece of equipment, or manufacturing process for the specific use of over 150 different FLAMMABLE and COMBUSTIBLE solvents, adhesives, resins and oil based materials, I must present my designs to the Insurance Underwirter and the local and State Fire Marshals for approval. Otherwise, a mistake on my part could possibly incinerate the entire surrounding town with the amount of material we have on hand...and that would be really bad.

And you're right yet again..as I admitted ealier, I am not the most knowledgable boater on this web site...there are many many more guys and Great Grady captains with the kowledge and expertise, especially abouts GW's than I, as I've only had one for 10 years. But where I do get some knowledge and information is directly from the marine industry engineers and designers themselves as we supply them (as well as the automotive, aerospace and other indsutries) with products that support their manufacturing. Instead of gathering as many links to web posts as possible to support an idea, I actually have to visit the industry professionals at their or our facilty to see exactly what and how they do things in order to make a product for them. That's been my job for the past 20+years. In fact, I'll be seeing many of them at the Ibex trade show next month in sunny Miami and will probably be discussing the water permeability of PE, VE and epoxy resins while eating a hotdog and soda during lunch....its amazing what a industry professional with 40 years of experience can tell you over lunch! As an idea, this would be the perfect time for you to present a paper of the hazards of a keg of 2 cycle oil on a boat or the incredible pitfalls of a 2 cycle engine to the Naval Architects, engineers and designers, but be sure you bring your back up forum links or the son of a brother of boat dealer as engineering back up because these guys ask a lot of questions. Carl Cramer from Professional Boat Builder who sets up these seminars can probaly squeeze you in between the morning discussion on planing hull design and the efternoon discussion of the latest infusion molding technologies. Should be interesting.

Hope you have a nice holiday weekend...speak to you soon! :wink:

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
Sorry richie didn't have time to read your ramblings. But if you enjoy your old technology 2S you go right ahead, along with your rotary dial phone and horse carriage.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
1974_eating_popcorn.gif

SBLGFD

Reaction score
As a FYI and in the interest of a informed discussion here are my prices - all were for the same amount of work. I removed my old engines, rigging, wires and gauges. New units included dual control binnacle and all new digital gauge package, Etec dealer in the end also threw in a spare set of Alum props at my request.

225 Etecs - 34,393
225 Opti's - 35,870
F150 Yamaha - 31,641
200 HPDI Yamaha - 35,240
F225 Yamaha - 41,971.

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
Well all I can say is I love my 200 HPDI's and after 4 years with the repower I have not had one issue. :wink: And yea I cant sell it nor can anyone else for that matter. Forget about resale anyways in this day and age with gas hitting $4 on the street at anytime. It dosnt matter what is on the back because they are gas hogs reguardless direct injected 2's or 4's. Yea I know they are alot better then old 2 strokes but they still eat fuel. See what everyone else in your area for the most part use and that should steer you in the right direction. Service Service Service is what you need when you lay out that kinda money.

Dont fall for any hipe all the new outboards are good but the dealer is what will make them great. And forget about resale just power up have fun and dont look back. :D

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
1 thing i do not like about e-techs

300hrs or 3 years without lower unit change, makes me scared

other than that trying to find a good e-tech tech with the computer program

i like the computer program, i turned this guys idle down to 300 RPM!!!
commercial guy always drifting

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
RUMBLEFISH said:
Well all I can say is I love my 200 HPDI's and after 4 years with the repower I have not had one issue. :wink: And yea I cant sell it nor can anyone else for that matter. Forget about resale anyways in this day and age with gas hitting $4 on the street at anytime. It dosnt matter what is on the back because they are gas hogs reguardless direct injected 2's or 4's. Yea I know they are alot better then old 2 strokes but they still eat fuel. See what everyone else in your area for the most part use and that should steer you in the right direction. Service Service Service is what you need when you lay out that kinda money.

Dont fall for any hipe all the new outboards are good but the dealer is what will make them great. And forget about resale just power up have fun and dont look back. :D

Ding Ding..

We have a winner here folks...

richie rich

Reaction score
wow, didn't know 4 stroke engines were new technology.....wait till someone thinks about using diesels on a boat!

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
richie rich said:
wow, didn't know 4 stroke engines were new technology.....wait till someone thinks about using diesels on a boat!

oh, you mean hydrogen boats, because nuclear is already done, look at the aircraft carriers