F150 & Extended Warranty

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hmmm...Yamaha motor corporation website, features, fourth one down:
"Twin Counter Balancer Shafts minimize engine vibration for a smooth, pleasant boating experience (F150)."

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/fe ... _2006.aspx

Okay, just got off the phone with Andy, he has replaced about 30 of these. There are two balance shafts in the front of the motor to make it run extra smooth. In fact, the motor will run fine without them, users out in the sticks, like south america, just pull them off and run without.

Yamaha will pay full retail parts and warranty to replace them. They are a bolt-on deal, takes about 20 minutes, but the parts cost about $700 so a DIY is expensive for preventative maintenance.

Seems there are two steel drive gears and a phenolic one, and the latter gets to wearing, bits and pieces break off and plug up the oiling system and can sieze the motor. If you can hear a buzzing sound in the front of the motor that's the noisy shaft gears and they need to be replaced.

Mine does (buzz) and it's going in to be replaced. :twisted:

I have a copy of the service bulletin in PDF if anyone wants it, just pm me with your email address.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
the flywheel was the balancer, hence it is like the gyro of the motor

the 150 does have gears, but the pictures will not show that

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
F150's

The counter balance assemble is actually mounted on the "front" of the motor. Look at the "cylinder crankcase I" exploded diagram. I confirmed this with my Yamaha service guy. It is described as a balancer assembly.

Crankcase I

He also told me that there is no TSB or recall from Yamaha on the F150's related to this part/problem. He said Yamaha will warranty it if you have a problem with it. He described the problem as a "bad valve tap".

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Balancer Update

Picked the boat up today from the dealer, they did the balancer replacement. Yes, the gears were worn. Yamaha paid for the $700 part and 4 hours of labor.

I'm sure glad to have learned about it here, otherwise I would have had no idea there was a problem!

Have not run it yet, but I'm sure it's quiet as new. 8)

GREAT GRADY RULES!

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
My Mazda 2.3 liter turbo 4 cyl has a counter balance shaft in the bottom of the oil pan. Most of us guys just take them out to save on weight "18lbs" and gain a few ponies and dont notice any more vibs. Simple job also just drop the pain take out the bolts cut the ring gear on the crank and plug the oil feed line. That could also be due to the fact we change out the motor mounts also for much stiffer ones. Most new 4 cyl have the counter balance shafts well I know the ford 4's do anyway.

SlimJim

Reaction score
CJBROWN said:
Balancer Update

Picked the boat up today from the dealer, they did the balancer replacement. Yes, the gears were worn. Yamaha paid for the $700 part and 4 hours of labor.

I'm sure glad to have learned about it here, otherwise I would have had no idea there was a problem!

Have not run it yet, but I'm sure it's quiet as new. 8)

GREAT GRADY RULES!
Congrats Chris! Glad you got it done before anything happened to you at sea. You would think that Yamaha would have sent you a notice about this or the dealer you bought the boat from. What did you think the buzzing noise was when you 1st heard it?

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
SlimJim said:
Congrats Chris! Glad you got it done before anything happened to you at sea. You would think that Yamaha would have sent you a notice about this or the dealer you bought the boat from. What did you think the buzzing noise was when you 1st heard it?

Me too. It's a relief.

I don't have a dealer, I bought from a private party and the engine was brand new, in fact it had only been test run, but had not been out on the water yet. And I don't have a dealer because I do everything myself. Here I am at 310 hours and the boat has never been to the shop.

So I call Andy at SIM when I have a question. And I have a couple of dealers out here that I have somewhat of a business relationship with, so any of them could have done this work.

I just thought the buzzing sound was a simple characteristic of the model. It comes on over such a long period of time that by the time you notice it it seems like it was always there. And I thought maybe the faint squeeling sound I would get a about 2000rpms would go away after greasing the driveshaft on the impellor change - not. Again, just figure it was a typical characteristic. These newfangled machines these days make all kinds of whirs and clicks, you know? All of my cars and rigs make all kinds of funny noises, I've got a 8.1L GM in a motorhome, it makes all kinds of noises, a duramax diesel - clattering and chattering, a BMW that whirs and clicks all sorts of noises, so you just figure everything is normal 'till it does something it hasn't done before, or it quits, or you get a trouble light.

Yamaha isn't doing a recall on these, which also seems to be typical with new technology. They wait 'till there's a problem and then they pay to fix it. My motorhome has brakes that are known to fail and it took a full investigation by the NHTSB over several years to get a premliminary recall bulletin issued from Workhorse. And my diesel has bad bosche injectors and they extended the warranty for 7 years or 200K miles but they only fix your rig if you bring it in with a problem. And they all have the problem and will long after the warranty runs out. Then what do you do? It's a $5,000 repair job!!

Anyway, I'm glad to have found it. Can't wait to try it out, didn't get to do that this weekend. My dealer said, "Yep, they (gears) were bad." All of the techs are aware of the issue, ALL OF THEM!

BTW, I got a computer print out that was pretty interesting. They show EVERYTHING on these motors. Especially the hours run:
100 hours under 1000rpm
100 hours 1000-2000rpm
54 hours 4000-5000rpm,
And the rest spread out over the range
310 total
That's from all that harbor cruising and trolling. :p
Only 54 hours cruising? That's surprising!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'd like to see Brian OCNSLR take his twins in, and say he hears something but not sure.

Get a set of fresh gears on them, then before you know it will be at 1600 hrs reporting back no trouble.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
BobP said:

Ha Ha...'white-trash rant'... that's a good one.

Yes, the prop chatter. I had forgotten about that. Mine would chatter with a stainless prop so went back to a factory aluminum and she purrs. Oh yeah, the trim position cam, replaced with the updated metal one - $8.

I have no complaints with the yamaha. It's quiet and dependable, I never doubt it's going to get me there.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Too bad there was no "delete drama" button over at THT.

So much time wasted keeping up with the threads.