f225 blowing water from exhaust port rear of engine above waterline.

Mike LaCroix

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I just put my boat in after replacing the exhaust kit on a F225 (2004). The engine runs fine but I'm getting water blowing out of the exhaust port rear of the engine above the waterline.
I was told this is back pressure from the Poppet Valve or the Thermostat(s) being stuck open. Does anyone have any experiance with this?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I recall most of the engines spitting a little water out of that port especially after a cold start. Will be interesting to see what others say.

Reactions: igblack87

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
I asked the same question about my F250 a year or so ago…maybe this will help you answer your question?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Water and gas follow the same pathway after the engine. It's just a matter of "path of least resistance" thing. I'd call it very normal to see water sometimes and not other times.

seasick

Reaction score
I just put my boat in after replacing the exhaust kit on a F225 (2004). The engine runs fine but I'm getting water blowing out of the exhaust port rear of the engine above the waterline.
I was told this is back pressure from the Poppet Valve or the Thermostat(s) being stuck open. Does anyone have any experiance with this?
My first question would be ;" Did that occur before the exhaust rebuild?" You probably didn't notice. My understanding is that those ports are dump ports and when there is more water flowing than the exhaust housing needs to cool, the water backs up and exits through those ports. So in general I guess some water is normal depending on t-state position, poppet position, pump flow rate etc.