F250 Yamaha Corrosion

Fishtales

Reaction score
Speaking of GW, I hope they are reading this thread. This is a brand issue for them as well. I certainly hope pressure is applied and a plan is defined for all F225/F250s out there. You would think they are all over this. It affects just about everyone from 2002 till now that had big blocks. That is certainly a lot of boats.

Here is my suggestion to Yamaha to make it right.
1.) Routine inspections - Yamaha details how to do this. All engines to be baselined and checked yearly after should be the plan. If no corrosion, then inspect when lower unit lowered or water pump changed. If corrosion exists, change the parts proactively.
2.) Parts provided at or below Yamaha cost.
3.) Repair 50/50 split between Yamaha and Owner. There should be a standard labor rate for the job that is applied.

Thoughts?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I guess I will never be able to contact GW... They have some two word captcha input that is nearly impossible to get right. I tried it about 20X the last couple of days. I give up. Looks like I won't be getting the 360....

timberxx

Reaction score
I agree with everyone about losing faith in Yamaha. How they handled this was poor, they must expect to lose customers. I am headed to the NY show, and will tell the yamaha staff how disheartening this is to owners.

I try to take everything I hear with a grain of salt on THT, but I am concerned with my F200. Its an 04 with only 160 hours, but everything I hear worries me.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Has anyone looked into an extended warranty? My motors warranty (6 year) expires in June of this coming year. I'm thinking of extending them if possible. Will look into this and let you know.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Fishtales said:
Has anyone looked into an extended warranty? My motors warranty (6 year) expires in June of this coming year. I'm thinking of extending them if possible. Will look into this and let you know.

I asked Yamaha to give me a 1 year warantee on my engines after putting all this time, parts ,and money in my F250's. He told me there is no way to add a warantee after the 6 years were up. I hope you can get some better luck then I did.

'05 300 Marlin F250's

Fishtales

Reaction score
Looks like Yamaha only warranties for 3 additional years after the initial 3 year warranty. So if you got/get the 3+3 factory warranty when you bought the boat, you can't get a YES after the 6 years are up. Bummer...

HMBJack

Reaction score
I'm liking Honda more and more. Years ago, they experienced a power head issues on all of their 1st generation BF130's. Result? They replaced all powerheads wether under warranty or not. They are a class act all the way.

I will give Honda my business unless I see Yamaha provide their customers with more RESPECT on this well documented corrossion issue.

gofishdw

Reaction score
I have 1996 Yamaha SWS II on 228 with no issues, my F250 on a Shearwater, I
just found water in oil, mechanic says it's toast. 3 yrs ago when I changed thermostats
the corrosion was significant and I had to break them to remove. Was a loyal Yamaha
customer and have three of them, but I'm seriously considering switching to another brand.

River Rat

Reaction score
After reading this thread, as well the information provided by Boat/US, I can't understand why anyone would buy a Yamaha. I know they have built many good motors, but the way they've handled this issue has been disappointing at best.

'84Offshore

Reaction score
After reading this I like my I/O more and more.......
I built a 300+HP SBC in my driveway for ~$3.5K........400hrs and not a peep.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
So, is there an affordable way to exmine this without pulling the powerhead? Can a mechanic drop the lower unit and examine the oil pan/exhaust with a boroscope or something? My motor is an 08 and it troubles me when I read stuff like this especially when I run on a single and sometimes so far offshore too.

Maybe my saving grace is well over 50% of the time my boat plys the waters of freshwater rivers and lakes?

Fishtales

Reaction score
So Gman - how did this end? Are your F250s running well?

Fishtales

Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
So, is there an affordable way to exmine this without pulling the powerhead? Can a mechanic drop the lower unit and examine the oil pan/exhaust with a boroscope or something? My motor is an 08 and it troubles me when I read stuff like this especially when I run on a single and sometimes so far offshore too.

Maybe my saving grace is well over 50% of the time my boat plys the waters of freshwater rivers and lakes?

Hi,
Check this thread on the THT. There are many others over there as well. I could not find the one that had multiple pictures and how to assess. This one has a few pics and provides some information.
http://www.thehulltruth.com/northeast/4 ... gland.html

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had a great year with the boat with the engines running perfect . Yamaha covered parts including the heads that got destroyed from the water intrusion but I had to cover the labor. My advise to all Yamaha owners is to at least have the engines scoped..I have a friend in the marina with an '07 F200 who just had the same work I did. When the mech pulled the head they discovered mass corrosion and they were hrs away from a complete malfunction. Yamaha actually covered the entire repair.... lucky for him.