Finally a Grady White owner and finally got her back home safely...

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You have my vote for a diamond upgrade on the man-card for driving 2900 miles with no cruise control.
I did 2200 miles for a 248 and 1800 for the 270 10 years apart. It'll be at least another 10 before I even think about doing that again!
Haha exactly. I told my parents, family, friends and everyone else that knew about my cross country road trip that this would be the last one I do for the foreseeable future, at the least. This is the third one that I've done, the first one was round trip and the second two were just one way yet this one definitely felt like the most exhausting of the three. Hopefully this will be a boat that I can have for 10-15 years and there isn't a need for another cross country road trip while towing a boat in the near future.

Reactions: JJMag

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Congrats on the 228, you are going to love it. I was polishing mine this summer and saw the ghost numbers from the previous registration decals to find out that it was in North Carolina at one time. Makes we wonder how it ended up in Vancouver BC where I bought it and if there’s a long distance story like yours.
Thanks! It's interesting how boats move around from where they were built to where their first buyer lives and so on. The first boat that I purchased was a 21' Arima that is actually made out here in Seattle, which the original owner that I bought it from lived in Maryland and had it shipped out there to him. I drove out, bought the boat and brought it back to Seattle, had it for 4 years before finally selling it to a guy who lives in Southern California. That boat/trailer has seen a good deal of the country even before it ended up where I'm assuming it still currently is, somewhere in Southern California. I know Grady White boats are made in North Carolina but am not sure how many people had owned this boat previous to myself purchasing it. Looking on the title it says the previous owner that I just purchased it from lived close to Tri State Marine in Maryland and purchased it in early 2014. So at least one person owned the boat before him, but yes, it's kind of fun to think about how a boat got to where it was and imagining its journey to get there.

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

Irish eyes

Reaction score
Did youhave the engine checked out befor closing the deal ? I’m in search of the same model Grady

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Did youhave the engine checked out befor closing the deal ? I’m in search of the same model Grady
No worries. And Tri State said their mechanic scoped the inside of the motor to look for the dry exhaust corrosion issues and didn't find anything. They also did a compression check as well and then we did a sea trial run on the second day that I was there. No overheating alarms at all while sitting and idling the boat for 10-15 minutes, then trolled out of the harbor for at least 10-15 minutes and finally got her up to speed and had no issues with acceleration or being at WOT. There are several 228's currently available on Boat Trader... what year are you looking for and what's your price range? There's a couple of threads in the For Sale/Trade section about 22's or 228's that I posted a few links in.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Epic trip, good work getting her home in one piece.
Considering the time it took and the cost I think I would have paid someone to do it.
I can understand your concerns about damage though.
Are you sure you got 10MPG on the trip? Gas V8 engine? I would have thought you use more gas than that.
I get 18-20 lts per 100 km (12-13 MPG) towing mine with a diesel Landcruiser.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Considering the time it took and the cost I think I would have paid someone to do it.
Are you sure you got 10MPG on the trip? Gas V8 engine? I would have thought you use more gas than that.
Hoon:

10MPG is achievable if the rig is kept at 60 & under.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Neat story....I love a good road trip but my limit is about 1000 miles. I've gone to DE from GA and have made numerous trips into FL. It's part of the memories.

Congrats on the boat....

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That was the infuriating part is trying to get her back home in one piece. With my previous boats that weren't as expensive or nice, it wasn't as much of a concern. This entire trip I was worried about someone sideswiping me or drifting into my lane, running a stop sign or red light and so on. I had to drive defensively and pay attention the entire time, which made it even more exhausting. The distance was a very long ways away but the time for me wasn't an issue since I started driving home Thursday morning and made it back home early Monday afternoon... so right around 5 days. I'd done it before with other boats where I made it in 3.5 but that was balls to the wall driving the entire time and I wanted to take my time to get the boat back safely and in one piece. The U-Haul was I believe a v8 gas powered motor and I was anywhere between 8-10 mpg depending on conditions and weather. When I was driving on flat terrain with no wind I was getting 10 mpg but when it was driving up and down mountain passes with severe head/side winds then it was around 8.5 mpg or so. Still not terrible considering the tow rig used was a 15' U-Haul truck

Reactions: JJMag

rockpool

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Can I ask why the box truck and not just a pickup truck?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Can I ask why the box truck and not just a pickup truck?
U-Haul doesn't allow one way truck rentals on their pickup trucks, just their box trucks. I would've very much preferred using one of their pickup trucks instead for obvious reasons but unfortunately they don't allow those kinds of rentals. I checked with Enterprise and all of the other truck rental companies as well and none of them do one way truck rentals with a pickup truck either, unfortunately, as it would've made the journey much easier.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Hoon:

10MPG is achievable if the rig is kept at 60 & under.
I understand you get better mileage if you drive for economy. I just questioned this: Are you sure you got 10MPG on the trip?

I meant average mileage for the whole trip. I was a little surprised he got 10 MPG towing on a gas V8 box truck with a 3 t trailer behind it.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I understand you get better mileage if you drive for economy. I just questioned this: Are you sure you got 10MPG on the trip?

I meant average mileage for the whole trip. I was a little surprised he got 10 MPG towing on a gas V8 box truck with a 3 t trailer behind it.
Off and on. Like I said before, when the terrain was flat and I wasn't facing any headwinds then I'd get around 9.5-10 mpg. When I was going up and down mountain passes or had a severe head or sidewind then it was closer to 8.5 mpg or so.

sturgstev

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mustang65

I have the same model and year. Live in northern Ca and boat purchased six years ago from Port Of Egypt in NY. Nephew there is a fishing Captain, knew the marina owner, checked out the boat and made the deal himself.

Had it towed by pick-up for $ 3,500 - it was delivered here within two weeks of purchase. Do the same fishing here off SF except for no crabbing.

Great boat compared to my 21.6 footer Glastron that was owned for thirty years.

The biggest problem was getting the boat registered here until someone at the DMV (third person) said she knew how to get this done.

Just finally sold the trailer as it's kept at a marina and I really would not trust myself doing any trailering.

Enjoy your boat and make sure you use it often.

Sturg.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mustang65

I have the same model and year. Live in northern Ca and boat purchased six years ago from Port Of Egypt in NY. Nephew there is a fishing Captain, knew the marina owner, checked out the boat and made the deal himself.

Had it towed by pick-up for $ 3,500 - it was delivered here within two weeks of purchase. Do the same fishing here off SF except for no crabbing.

Great boat compared to my 21.6 footer Glastron that was owned for thirty years.

The biggest problem was getting the boat registered here until someone at the DMV (third person) said she knew how to get this done.

Just finally sold the trailer as it's kept at a marina and I really would not trust myself doing any trailering.

Enjoy your boat and make sure you use it often.

Sturg.
Thanks! Though I've only used the boat once so far, and that was back east on the sea trial run, I love damn near everything about it. It's an apples to oranges comparison when compared to my previous boat, which was a 21' Arima. That boat was great when it was calm and flat but as soon as the wind/chop picked up, it was a brutal ride. This boat while on the sea trial run handled great, and we even got some moderate 1-2' chop and she sliced right through it very comfortably. Had the Arima been in those same conditions it would've been a back breaker. The fishing season is coming to an end for us at the end of October but yes, I do plan on using her very often next year. And, I've already purchased a couple of downriggers and plan to go out fishing next weekend with my uncle and cousin. Which is one of the reasons why I decided to drive the boat back by myself, so that I could use her a couple times at least before the season ended. And I don't think that I'd have had the boat back in time if someone transported the boat back for me. They are fantastic boats with very sexy lines on them and hopefully I'll and keep her for the next 10-15 years at least.

Chris275

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
What an amazing coincidence! I recently joined this web site and was just logging in when your opening post came up on my phone. The 228 you bought from Tristate was my boat for about 6 years -- until the block sprang a major leak from salt water corroding due to the previous owner not having flushed the engine when he owned it. Tristate declared that the engine was toast. They also told me that Yamaha was not selling any new re-power outboards for the next 1.5 years due to demand from dealers for new boat sales. Sounds like they made repairs or replacement on the "new" outboard they fitted onto the 228. Is it still a Yamaha F225? What did they tell you about the engine? I did believe them when they said it was shot. I wonder what they did to it.

The boat is very, very sound and we loved it for a long period of time. Faced with being without a running boat for some time, I elected to purchase another Grady, as they are clearly one of the highest quality boats made today. We fished it in the Chesapeake and took it to the Keys to fish every summer. You will find it handles a chop fairly well, even though it is a light boat. With the vinyl windows on, it is absolutely dry. I put my old bases for outriggers on it, but used them only sporadically fishing for dolphin in Florida. I towed it with a Ram 2500 diesel for a couple of years, then bought a Ram 1500 Hemi with air suspension to tow it. Pleased my wife, since the 1500 rides much better than the 2500 did.

We have moved on to a Freedom 275 with dual F200's. Will be hauling it to Florida next summer to fish and dive the Keys. Up graded to a Garmin 1243 chartplotter system with an autopilot to make the fishing a bit easier for us. Am looking forward to reporting further on our "adventures" with the new boat. Best wishes to you for great fishing with the 228. You will love it.

sailUSVI

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Great job on the F,B,D, it’s always exciting ! I’ve been doing it for about 35 years, with old trucks.

That‘s a real nice boat and a hellofah trip, glad you made it safely home.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What an amazing coincidence! I recently joined this web site and was just logging in when your opening post came up on my phone. The 228 you bought from Tristate was my boat for about 6 years -- until the block sprang a major leak from salt water corroding due to the previous owner not having flushed the engine when he owned it. Tristate declared that the engine was toast. They also told me that Yamaha was not selling any new re-power outboards for the next 1.5 years due to demand from dealers for new boat sales. Sounds like they made repairs or replacement on the "new" outboard they fitted onto the 228. Is it still a Yamaha F225? What did they tell you about the engine? I did believe them when they said it was shot. I wonder what they did to it.

The boat is very, very sound and we loved it for a long period of time. Faced with being without a running boat for some time, I elected to purchase another Grady, as they are clearly one of the highest quality boats made today. We fished it in the Chesapeake and took it to the Keys to fish every summer. You will find it handles a chop fairly well, even though it is a light boat. With the vinyl windows on, it is absolutely dry. I put my old bases for outriggers on it, but used them only sporadically fishing for dolphin in Florida. I towed it with a Ram 2500 diesel for a couple of years, then bought a Ram 1500 Hemi with air suspension to tow it. Pleased my wife, since the 1500 rides much better than the 2500 did.

We have moved on to a Freedom 275 with dual F200's. Will be hauling it to Florida next summer to fish and dive the Keys. Up graded to a Garmin 1243 chartplotter system with an autopilot to make the fishing a bit easier for us. Am looking forward to reporting further on our "adventures" with the new boat. Best wishes to you for great fishing with the 228. You will love it.
Tri State told me that they swapped out the motor for the one that's currently on the boat. I'm assuming/hoping they replaced the one that you had on the boat previously? The hour meter gauge on the boat said less than 500 hours and they said this motor has like 991 or something similar to that. I'll definitely have a local mechanic check the motor over as well hopefully in the next week or two and make sure there aren't any issues. She seemed to run really well, very quiet, no overheating alarms or smoking or anything like that, idled her for about 10-15 minutes, trolled at least 10-15 minutes, accelerated fine and got up to WOT as well without any issues. I sent you a message, would love to chat about the boat some more if you have time. She's very clean and looks to be very well kept, without any soft spots on the floors or anything else. Thanks again!

Reactions: JJMag and Ryhlick

knightgang

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you ever do this again, Enterprise Car Rental rents F250 Pickups, and in Diesel if you can get one booked. Not sure what the Uhaul Rental was, but you can be sure a F250 would have been alot more comfortable for that long of a trip.

Of course there is the one way charge, but the additional comfort probably would have been worth it. May could have cut a day off the drive.