First boat

Beaur90

Reaction score
I know you can see my age. I'm 18, still in high school, and I'm helping my dad with what we should get if you haven't realized that yet. I know lots of people have said go get a cheap 10-30K boat to get started, but I just don't think he will bite on that. His father, my grandfather, had very nice boats growing up (Carolina classic 28,35), and I know he wants something quality. So, if you noticed, I kind of have dodged the "get the 30K entry boat questions". However, I feel like not acknowledging others' opinions and strategies is quite naive.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
There is a 2019 Freedom 215 local to me with a 200 Yamaha and 200 hours. It has all the electronics (Garmin, Vhf). It's right around 80K. How much play do you think is in that price? I was thinking 7 or 8 % am I off??
If it's the one from Tri-State Marine, that's actually the company that I bought my boat from back in October of 2021. I had no issues going with them, though the $80k price is to me a bit on the higher side, especially when there are other similar boats for $20k-$25k less. I'm assuming either of the linked boats might need a trailer though as well as transport to you and they do have more hours. You could always make them an offer and see what they say though... worst they can do is say no or counter offer. Definitely do a sea trial run on the boat though if you do put an offer down on it.

Beaur90

Reaction score
If it's the one from Tri-State Marine, that's actually the company that I bought my boat from back in October of 2021. I had no issues going with them, though the $80k price is to me a bit on the higher side, especially when there are other similar boats for $20k-$25k less. I'm assuming either of the linked boats might need a trailer though as well as transport to you and they do have more hours. You could always make them an offer and see what they say though... worst they can do is say no or counter offer. Definitely do a sea trial run on the boat though if you do put an offer down on it.

I saw those, one of them is a boat club boat with 700+ hours, so I steered clear. I just know it was treated badly.

edit ** I think they both are

Coastboater

Reaction score
There is a 2019 Freedom 215 local to me with a 200 Yamaha and 200 hours. It has all the electronics (Garmin, Vhf). It's right around 80K. How much play do you think is in that price? I was thinking 7 or 8 % am I off??
I did a quick search on BoatTrader and that seems to be in the range of dealer asking prices, but too many unknown variables to give you a definitive answer. 200 hours is about average use for a boat used recreationally.

sturgstev

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You should watch a bunch of videos on youtube for the GW215 - Some show boat features and others show action on the water. They are fun to watch and and you will learn a lot.

steve

Beaur90

Reaction score
You should watch a bunch of videos on youtube for the GW215 - Some show boat features and others show action on the water. They are fun to watch and and you will learn a lot.

steve
I think I've watched 30 or 40 lol. I'm in school so i have lots of free time.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
My recommendation is to go to various marinas and dealers, chat with people, listen to local advice and see if you can take a look at some local Gradys in various models. What style of boats are most common where you are?

Basically they have the bow riders, center consoles, and walk around styles, each with their own merits. WAs have the most storage but if yours will be in the back yard on a lift, that may not be necessary for your needs. WAs also lose out on deck space but provide good weather protection. Bow riders are nice cruisers for the family as are CCs, but CCs are a bit more susceptible to the elements with the design - any of these will comfortably fit 5 adults or less at 20’+. So you need to evaluate the primary uses to fit the needs, including what you expect your season to be (ie June to Sept, or maybe May to Oct). You have a lot of options being in Mid Atlantic and surely you can find what you are looking for within a few hours, but you could also look up to the northeast (generally lower hours on engines due to shorter season) or NC close to where Grady’s are manufactured.

Make sure to evaluate your vehicle towing capacity- I assume you did that already. I’d suggest you and your dad and whoever else would be at the helm to get a boater safety course completed, even if you have some experience.

in terms of negotiation- a surveyor can provide you with leverage if they identify any issues, but know that you likely need a marine mechanic to look at an engine separately from a boat surveyor. If it’s from a reputable dealer, I would say that alleviates some of the concern (but they are selling still, a surveyor hired by you is your advocate). I’d say any used boat is subject to price negotiation anyways - people don’t list prices low, they expect some lower offers off list.

Beaur90

Reaction score
My recommendation is to go to various marinas and dealers, chat with people, listen to local advice and see if you can take a look at some local Gradys in various models. What style of boats are most common where you are?

Basically they have the bow riders, center consoles, and walk around styles, each with their own merits. WAs have the most storage but if yours will be in the back yard on a lift, that may not be necessary for your needs. WAs also lose out on deck space but provide good weather protection. Bow riders are nice cruisers for the family as are CCs, but CCs are a bit more susceptible to the elements with the design - any of these will comfortably fit 5 adults or less at 20’+. So you need to evaluate the primary uses to fit the needs, including what you expect your season to be (ie June to Sept, or maybe May to Oct). You have a lot of options being in Mid Atlantic and surely you can find what you are looking for within a few hours, but you could also look up to the northeast (generally lower hours on engines due to shorter season) or NC close to where Grady’s are manufactured.

Make sure to evaluate your vehicle towing capacity- I assume you did that already. I’d suggest you and your dad and whoever else would be at the helm to get a boater safety course completed, even if you have some experience.

in terms of negotiation- a surveyor can provide you with leverage if they identify any issues, but know that you likely need a marine mechanic to look at an engine separately from a boat surveyor. If it’s from a reputable dealer, I would say that alleviates some of the concern (but they are selling still, a surveyor hired by you is your advocate). I’d say any used boat is subject to price negotiation anyways - people don’t list prices low, they expect some lower offers off list.
We have looked at center consoles, but They just don't seem very family-friendly. I know I will probably get berated for saying that, but from what I can tell, everyone will probably end up standing around the console and all Jammed together. That's kind of why we landed on a dual console. Also, we don't plan to do tons of fishing. If I did do any, it would probably just be me and my cousin. We are competitive bass fishermen and have traveled up and down the East Coast going to various high school tournaments. I've been on their boat many times (2022 skeeter ZXR with the 250 and all the graphs live scope,360) That's also why I want a 200 rather than a 250 I'm not sure how many of you have gone 70mph a foot from the water but it gets a bit sketchy when you start "walking" and I just feel like the power is a bit excessive for a family boat. Obviously, for a tournament boat, the point is to beat everyone to the fish, but that's not what we are looking for.

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Whatever boat you get , I suggest a 23’ as the right size for the use you have described. After owning many boats, 23’s are small big boats that do it all safely, comfortably, and efficiently.

Reactions: FREEDOM!!!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'd agree mostly with efx, though I think a 22' boat could also be made to work just fine depending on your circumstances. I've fished with 5 bigger sized guys on my boat before and it wasn't an issue at all. That being said, I think if I were to own a 208 Adventure then it would be a completely different story as it's a bit of a smaller boat. I think the 225 Freedom/Tournament could be a great option, though I think the 215 Freedom would definitely feel a bit cramped with 5 people consistently on it as well as gear, food, coolers, pets and anyone/anything else onboard. I think the 235 Freedom would be an even better choice, but again those are almost $125k used, and I've still yet to see anything on this thread in regards to a maximum budget for the OP.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Just a thought, can you find a local fishing forum, get on that and see if there are people there who would take you out? If you pay for gas, I think there are a lot of people who are willing to show off their boat.

Reactions: PointedRose

Beaur90

Reaction score
I'd agree mostly with efx, though I think a 22' boat could also be made to work just fine depending on your circumstances. I've fished with 5 bigger sized guys on my boat before and it wasn't an issue at all. That being said, I think if I were to own a 208 Adventure then it would be a completely different story as it's a bit of a smaller boat. I think the 225 Freedom/Tournament could be a great option, though I think the 215 Freedom would definitely feel a bit cramped with 5 people consistently on it as well as gear, food, coolers, pets and anyone/anything else onboard. I think the 235 Freedom would be an even better choice, but again those are almost $125k used, and I've still yet to see anything on this thread in regards to a maximum budget for the OP.
I was talking to my Dad and we acknowledged that the 23 or 25 Would definitely be the next step but our thought was even if the 215 is a little small. If we decide we weren’t all in on boating the 215 could just be kept on the lift and used a little bit throughout the summer for many years. And if we love boating I’d think we will find ourselves back at the dealer a year from now Looking at the 23 or 25 maybe I could try and pull for the 27 Lol I saw it in person that’s a lot of boat.

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
I was talking to my Dad and we acknowledged that the 23 or 25 Would definitely be the next step but our thought was even if the 215 is a little small. If we decide we weren’t all in on boating the 215 could just be kept on the lift and used a little bit throughout the summer for many years. And if we love boating I’d think we will find ourselves back at the dealer a year from now Looking at the 23 or 25 maybe I could try and pull for the 27 Lol I saw it in person that’s a lot of boat.
In that case I'd recommend a late model 235 If you can find one in your price range. To me it's the perfect size. With the swim platforms the 235 is basically a 26' boat. You will probably want that extra 1500lbs out on the Chesapeake. I couldn't really tell much difference between the 235, 255, and 275 in roominess and seating. The main thing you get with the 255 and 275 is an extra engine. You will probably need to go up to the 28-30 before it really seems significantly bigger. But then the prices really go through the roof on those bigger Gradys.

Reactions: PointedRose

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Even in a year or two, you could still lose over $20k on the value of your boat. I remember locally there was a 2020 GW 228 Seafarer for sale back in 2021, of which brand new it was a $140k boat that they had listed for $120k. And it took several weeks to sell at that price. I'd buy the bigger of the two boats to begin with not have to bounce back and forth to the dealer multiple times over the next couple of years. Again, just my opinion of course. If you don't mind potentially losing money when you go to sell the 215 Freedom, then that's on you.

Beaur90

Reaction score
I understand that the 23 would be much bigger and better. But you do have to consider the 235 is around 135k for a nice used example. Remember this will
Be our first boat. I would feel a bit nervous, finding myself at the helm this summer of a $135k boat at 18. The 215 being smaller and not as expensive is a little less daunting. But I’ll talk to my dad tonight about the 215 v 235.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
another vote for going a bit bigger. for a few reasons.
-with 6 on board, you will be fine while everyone is sitting (if it is calm enough to use the front), but if people are moving or walking around, it will get crowded real fast, especially if you have a cooler and people bring a bag with them.
-the smaller the boat, the less comfortable boating days you will have. the chesapeake is a rough ride, probably less comfortable than the ocean. the VERY short period chop produces a very rough ride comparatively
-very, very few people have ever been out on the water and said "i wish my boat was smaller"

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
-very, very few people have ever been out on the water and said "i wish my boat was smaller"
Amen to that. The only good reason for smaller, IMHO, is if you want to trailer it. I believe OP said they'd leave it on a lift, so get the biggest thing you can fit on the lift. Something like a Canyon 271 (that hull is _sweet_) but in the dual console config OP wants. Twin engines seem like a lot at first but once you get used to them, they are easier to run than a single. Boat stays straighter, you can reverse one and forward the other to spin the boat around, etc.

Reactions: Ekea

Beaur90

Reaction score
We went to the dealer this past weekend, and we went in the 215, 235, and 255. (I'm not sure if I have mentioned that). I think we are going back this weekend to look again. I also would ask how common it is to buy a boat that's hundreds of miles away. Is it very common to go look at it or just hire someone to do an inspection?

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
I also would ask how common it is to buy a boat that's hundreds of miles away. Is it very common to go look at it or just hire someone to do an inspection?
i live in south east PA and bought a boat in Tampa Bay, about 1000 miles. its doable, but not easy or preferred. i never saw the boat until i drove down to settle on it. I hired a local surveyor to go over the boat and a yamaha tech to look at the engines. if you choose to do this, make sure that you get a surveyor and tech that are NOT affiliated or recommended by the broker.

someone on here lives in the pacific north west and bought an east coast boat.

Coastboater

Reaction score
We went to the dealer this past weekend, and we went in the 215, 235, and 255. (I'm not sure if I have mentioned that). I think we are going back this weekend to look again. I also would ask how common it is to buy a boat that's hundreds of miles away. Is it very common to go look at it or just hire someone to do an inspection?
Both. Ideally, assuming it’s used. First is a contract with the seller and likely a refundable deposit contingent on a survey by a marine surveyor and successful sea trial.