First boat

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I understand that the 23 would be much bigger and better. But you do have to consider the 235 is around 135k for a nice used example. Remember this will
Be our first boat. I would feel a bit nervous, finding myself at the helm this summer of a $135k boat at 18. The 215 being smaller and not as expensive is a little less daunting. But I’ll talk to my dad tonight about the 215 v 235.
That's why I suggested the 225 Freedom, which could be a great option as it's a boat that's in between the 215 and the 235, and you can find them used for well under $100k. In regards to your other comment about driving and picking up a boat or having it shipped to you... I bought my boat in Maryland from Tri-State Marine back in October of 2021, rented a U-Haul truck and trailered her 3,009 miles back to Seattle where I live. The boat was less than half the price of what they sell for out here and this was the third time that I'd bought a boat on the east coast and then trailered it back out to Seattle. It's pretty common if the price is doable and is worth it after shipping or doing the drive yourself, and at least a handful of forum members on here have mentioned that they did something similar to what I did when purchasing their boats. Here are a couple examples of the 225 Freedom that you might consider as well, of which the first is only 7 years old and only 150 hours on the motor. The second has brand new power and a hardtop on it.

Last edited:

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
That's why I suggested the 225 Freedom, which could be a great option as it's a boat that's in between the 215 and the 235, and you can find them used for well under $100k. In regards to your other comment about driving and picking up a boat or having it shipped to you... I bought my boat in Maryland from Tri-State Marine back in October of 2021, rented a U-Haul truck and trailered her 3,009 miles back to Seattle where I live. The boat was less than half the price of what they sell for out here and this was the third time that I'd bought a boat on the east coast and then trailered it back out to Seattle. It's pretty common if the price is doable and is worth it after shipping or doing the drive yourself, and at least a handful of forum members on here have mentioned that they did something similar to what I did when purchasing their boats. Here are a couple examples of the 225 Freedom that you might consider as well, of which the first is only 7 years old. The second has brand new power and a hardtop on it.

Two nice looking boats, one is a 215 which has a slightly wider beam and more usable space, with a 200hp engine.

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure

Fishtales

Reaction score
Look hard and you will find what you want. If you pass on a boat don't look back and move on. If the economy shutters and shakes you will have the pick of the litter.

Beaur90

Reaction score
Thoughts on this one

Reactions: FREEDOM!!!

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
looks good. im not current with market prices for that size/model, but no red flags

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Thoughts on this one

That looks like a solid Grady. Low engine hours for a 12 year old boat. If the engine is good (have it checked out) then that might be an ideal boat for you. Everything else looks clean and well cared for. I haven't looked at boat prices in a while, so not sure if $69K is good for that year and model, but everything looks in good order.

Beaur90

Reaction score
How much life would be left in a 12 year old Yamaha 300? with around 500 hours

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
How much life would be left in a 12 year old Yamaha 300? with around 500 hours
Depends....theoretically it's limitless if taken care of. Most people put less than 100 hours per year on their boat. If that's a clean engine it should last for many more years.

Reactions: Don Davis

Beaur90

Reaction score
I like the 225 because of the increased size which many questioned about the 215. Also, it could last 2 or 3 years before we may want to upgrade to a 255 for something bigger.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I love the hardtop and personally wouldn't get another boat without one. I'm pretty fairly complected and burn quite easily in the sun, of which the hardtop is a great way to keep yourself out of the elements, both the rain and excessive amounts of sun. The motor should hopefully get you up to at least 2k hours if it's been properly maintained, and with an F300 on there I'm thinking that boat will hit well over 50 mph. I'd do your due diligence and get an accredited marine surveyor and/or Yamaha tech to inspect the boat, motor and trailer as well as give you a ballpark value for the appraisal. Here are a couple of links for accredited marine surveyors, but it looks like you're on the right track though so far, good luck!

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Funny contact email, lol
Maybe call rather than email lol
Probably the boat owner's personal email. Per the Angler's Edge website, their employees don't work off of commission, so I'm guessing any questions related to the boat would be forwarded to the boat owner's personal phone or email address. Or whichever contact information was initially provided up front to Angler's Edge.

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
I love the hardtop and personally wouldn't get another boat without one. I'm pretty fairly complected and burn quite easily in the sun, of which the hardtop is a great way to keep yourself out of the elements, both the rain and excessive amounts of sun. The motor should hopefully get you up to at least 2k hours if it's been properly maintained, and with an F300 on there I'm thinking that boat will hit well over 50 mph. I'd do you due diligence and get an accredited marine surveyor and/or Yamaha tech to inspect the boat, motor and trailer as well as give you a ballpark value for the appraisal. Here are a couple of links for accredited marine surveyors, but it looks like you're on the right track though so far, good luck!

Excellent advice! T-Tops are key! Would never own a boat without it. A surveyor is also critical.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Reactions: FREEDOM!!!

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
i get that its a newer boat, but $124k just seems like a lot to spend on a 23' boat
You don't want to know what a new one costs....