fisher panda overheating

mornin' sun

Reaction score
hull intakes 2.jpghull intakes 2.jpgHere's my problem i have a 36 express with the Fisher Panda generator..Sitting at the slip with it running no problem, doesn't over heat. When we take the boat out its running great till we take
her up on plane, she then overheats and shuts down .We have checked everything, no obstructions filters clean, impeller new etc... Here's what i think is happening. The intake screen is a flatter style then the other clam shell type, and there fore its not getting enough water when on plane. I have attached 2 photos so you can see. The one on the lefts is the one in question. The boat was bought used so i don't know what type grady
installs as their standard. Does anybody have a pic of their bottom that shows that intake either on a 33 or 36 or has a simillar problem with the intake?

seasick

Reaction score
Are you sure which is which? I thought the output side is through the side hull. Then again, I don't know for sure.

Rcallum

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a 2007 33 Express, I will look at the bottom and send a couple pics in the next few hours.

Reactions: CEJ

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
A scoop style strainer has a good chance of forcing water into the engine when the genny is NOT running... bad. Personally, I can't remember ever seeing a genny thru-hull pickup to be anything but a mushroom style. Maybe someone added that grate over top of the mushroom? Can you take a closer look? Or maybe those holes are plugged up?

Your theory sounds solid, though. But... is this a new problem? You didn't mention that part, which is helpful to know. If it's new, then the existing setup obviously works and something has changed (clogged holes for example).

mornin' sun

Reaction score
Are you sure which is which? I thought the output side is through the side hull. Then again, I don't know for sure.
yes the output is on the side..the intakes are what your looking at..the one on the right is for the ac the other ..left
A scoop style strainer has a good chance of forcing water into the engine when the genny is NOT running... bad. Personally, I can't remember ever seeing a genny thru-hull pickup to be anything but a mushroom style. Maybe someone added that grate over top of the mushroom? Can you take a closer look? Or maybe those holes are plugged up?

Your theory sounds solid, though. But... is this a new problem? You didn't mention that part, which is helpful to know. If it's new, then the existing setup obviously works and something has changed (clogged holes for example).

Thanks for getting back to me..there is a sea cock on the other side that stays closed when the genny isn't running.This prevents water from entering when its not running....This is a new problem for me..its a new boat to me..i tried contacting the original owner but he has failed to reply.... the thing runs great in the slip and when underway except when you take her up on plane, i am assuming thats there nothing clogged because it runs fine

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a 330 and I'm sure the genny intake does not look like yours. I seem to remember they are both (AC and Gen) identical scoops like your AC.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Mine are the same clam shell style. May want to swap out. What is the deal with the repair in the top of the pic?

Fishtales

Reaction score
never saw that before. I've only seen the bronze torpedo thru hull or the shoot thru that is on the inside.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Another thought, make sure there is not another added-on thru hull, such as a faired transducer immediately forward on the hull that could be disrupting the flow to the generator intake. Also bottom paint could reduce the openings in the intake just enough to create a problem. In my 330 I would be able to detach the AC cooling hose from the sea strainer and substitute the Generator cooling hose and see if that solves your generator problem. My generator intake is starboard and the AC cooling is port. From your pic, it appears your port intake scoop is like mine. The intake hose for raw water from the generator is longer on my boat since it crosses the keel and the AC hose does not. If the generator hose doesn't reach you could add a section as a test before doing anything major like removing the existing scoop. BTW maybe just the pic, but your bottom paint looks real rough and the transducer is even rougher. Mine is smooth. Good Luck!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks for getting back to me..there is a sea cock on the other side that stays closed when the genny isn't running.This prevents water from entering when its not running....This is a new problem for me..its a new boat to me..
That's good that you think to close it, but you may not remember EVERY single time. I have a lot of experience with genny's and such - albeit with Sea Rays. But the boat it's attached to doesn't make a lick of difference. I can't remember EVER seeing a scoop used (not that I've seen everything, of course) - the whole reason is to avoid destroying the genny.

New problem... OK, but we really don't know if it IS a new problem for the BOAT (which is what matters)... or if it is an existing problem. Did you check to see if there is a mushroom under that grate? And what about all the little holes - TOTALLY clear? With some clogged up, it's quite conceivable that it works fine at the slip but not underway.

Last edited:

mornin' sun

Reaction score
ok you got me..what is a mushroom? from what i can see there's and intake that goes to the sea cock then to the filter then to the genny.
i look into the grate and there's nothing there.. its clean..so is everything else above that...

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Google for mushroom thru hull - you'll probably recognize it as soon as you see it - that's the type of thru hull that "should" be there.

mornin' sun

Reaction score
yes thats whats there its covered by the strainer and it threads into the seacock...what where saying is that its the wrong kind of strainer that fits over that..when we bought the boat it had twin 350s and was a dog..we upgraded to trip 350 mercs so where think due to the increase speed/power its not the right strainer...

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
OK. All you need to do is take that exterior strainer off (fill the screw holes with some thickened epoxy) and you're good to go. You do NOT need a scoop strainer - and for the reasons mentioned, do not put one on.

Rcallum

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a 2007 33 Express, I will look at the bottom and send a couple pics in the next few hours.
He is a picture sorry for the delay.

Attachments

• B2F1FFB8-52C7-4791-83F9-A0B167487FFD.jpeg
    B2F1FFB8-52C7-4791-83F9-A0B167487FFD.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 36