fisher panda overheating

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Good pic, Rcallum. While that type of exterior strainer is not "needed", it does show that it should allow the genny to function. Having trips doesn't affect anything - 30mph is 30mph is 30mph. Possibly the trips are allowing WOT to be just a bit too high for that strainer, though? Not sure on that - from your information Mornin', it sounds like you have an issue at ANY planing speeds.

Another thing... and it could just be the angle of the pictures... but Mornin', is your strainer flattened? Rc's "seems" rounder. That could affect things.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
thanks thats exactly what we have.....damm now where do i go????
See what I mentioned above.

But... you're thinking too much :) Get rid of the strainer. 1,000's and 1,000's of boats have no exterior strainer and they have been working just fine for decades and decades. But, again, take a look at what I mentioned about your strainer if you want to keep it.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Page 60 of the Fisher Panda 4.2 and 4.5 installation manual recommends you use a one piece intake scoop strainer for the thru hull. Some Gen sets do not recommend them, but the Panda evidently can handle the water pressure. These big Gradys are not speed demons like all the big new center consoles, so I’m sure you will be fine with the scoop. I have been Grady Whites Bronze supplier Rep for 30 years.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Page 60 of the Fisher Panda 4.2 and 4.5 installation manual recommends you use a one piece intake scoop strainer for the thru hull. Some Gen sets do not recommend them, but the Panda evidently can handle the water pressure. These big Gradys are not speed demons like all the big new center consoles, so I’m sure you will be fine with the scoop. I have been Grady Whites Bronze supplier Rep for 30 years.
Speed is not the issue, though. As I mentioned above, I have a lot of experience with Sea Rays - same speeds as Gradys. None of them use scoops - just the mushroom. It seems that the other person who had a picture of his bottom just has a mushroom, as well (with a strainer over it). This would lead one to believe that while a genny manufacturer may say one thing, in practical use, boat manufacturers have found different. I still say, from a practical and experienced point of view... skip the scoop as it could cause damage. Again, this is my recommendation from not only countless information that you can find online, but from my decades of of working in this industry.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Speed generates pressure, so it is clearly a factor. The static thru hull with disk strainer was a carry over from when Grady used Kohler gas gen sets. Kohler does not recomend a scoop. Fisher Panda clearly recomends the scoop. They are a very consise German Company. I have coowned 2 dealerships, I sold Gradys, Im a certified marine surveyor, I have a 100 ton Capt license, and Ive worked full time in the Marine Indushtry for 42 years.
I unaquivickly say. Go with what stated in the installation manual. Ive called on Searay for years. They were mostly Westerbeke and Onan.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
What I meant by speed is that the speeds these "slower" boats go at do not require a scoop. I was comparing to a Sea Ray boat that may top out around 45MPH (similar to a typical Grady), yet may cruise around 25 to 30.

I will say this, though... the Sea Rays have used Kohler, Westerbeke and Onan. So I'm familiar with those. I am NOT familiar with Fisher. So I'm curious about the recommendation for a scoop when the others do not. I did a quick google, though, and found this in a Panda 4K/5K genny manual:

"For Panda generators, the through hull inlet should NOT point in the sailing direction! When sailing at higher speeds more water will be forced into the inlet than the pump can handle and your generator will flood!"

That appears to say that while they are referencing using a scoop strainer (it looked like that in the diagram, anyways), they specifically recommend to mount it so it is facing backwards to avoid damage. In which case, a mushroom would be fine, as well.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
That’s why I referred the owner to the installation manual page 60 for his Fisher Panda. So he can set it up as stated in the manual.
Always follow the manufacturers directions. Conjecture only causes problems. It can also void your warranty. I’ve been the Conbraco and Shurflo pump rep for the East Coast since 1989, after I sold my share of the dealership. The flat disc strainers are far more restrictive then the scoop strainer. The flow rates are much lower. I now Rep Marine Hardware also since Conbraco got out of the fitting business. They make an excellent scoop strainer that can be faced forward. It has a pressure relief hole on the backside. I’ll post a picture of it later.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The flat disc strainers are far more restrictive then the scoop strainer. The flow rates are much lower.
I totally agree there - the way those holes are, it can create ventilation/turbulence. It seems they "can" work OK, but in the case of the OP, it appears (I think I may have mentioned this) that the disc has been flattened - which would exacerbate the issue.

For the OP, though, I still think the best course of action is to simply remove the disc strainer, fill the screw holes and go boating since the mushroom thru-hull would work very well - albeit not a strainer... but there's still the internal strainer which, in reality, is easier to clear while out on the water. Not that taking a deep breath is all that hard........

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If he lives an an area that does not have alot of eel grass or Sargasam weed I would say that would be fine.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If he lives an an area that does not have alot of eel grass or Sargasam weed I would say that would be fine.
15789326599248468932106748342593.jpg
This is the Marine Hardware low pressure scoop. They work great. We developed these for the newer high speed outboard boats. It prevents over pressurization of equipment and hoses bursting or blowing off.

mornin' sun

Reaction score
ok guys all good alternatives..but why am i the only one with this issue..There are tons on 36"s out the and you would think that they would have the same proble..Any ideas???

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
ok guys all good alternatives..but why am i the only one with this issue..There are tons on 36"s out the and you would think that they would have the same proble..Any ideas???

Could be an accumulation of old bottom paint on the screen, or as Dennis said. The bronze screen may have been crushed or disfigured during a haul out?
Here is another alternative that I know is safe. Its called a low volume pickup. 20200113_143930.jpg

mornin' sun

Reaction score
not sure what your referring to..sorry....the only mention was that this strainer was flatter then the one used for the ac side...Is this what your referring to?

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330

Could be an accumulation of old bottom paint on the screen, or as Dennis said. The bronze screen may have been crushed or disfigured during a haul out?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
not sure what your referring to..sorry....the only mention was that this strainer was flatter then the one used for the ac side...Is this what your referring to?
Not "flatter than the one used for the AC side"... flatter than the strainer in the other poster's picture. But it's hard to tell 100% from the picture.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The one on my 330 is much cleaner, of course I don't have the bottom paint, but mine is shiny bronze and the holes look bigger and not as rough. Can't tell from the pic if yours is painted or just a bit corroded. Easy to replace with a new one.