Fix rubber strip on my 228

mous

Reaction score
Hi ... any advice on the best way to fix loose rubber strips ... It seems that strips lost their elasticity. It won't be a matter of gluing it (becoming shorter than the original length) ... Do I need to replace them? if yes, which ones should I buy..
thanks

Attachments

• 20211002_173158.jpg
    20211002_173158.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 38
  • 20211023_125924.jpg
    20211023_125924.jpg
    995.6 KB · Views: 38

seasick

Reaction score
If they are shrunk and pulling away, even if you glue, they will pull away again unless you remove the whole length and reposition. The piece will be shorter and will have a space somewhere. I chose to have the space under the combing bolster where the gap doesn't show.
If they are lust loose, they can be adhered with 3M double sided molding tape. It comes in different sizes. For your molding you need the 7/8 inch width. That comes in 15 foot lengths. You have to remove the old adhesive from the fiberglass and the back of the molding. A heat gun will help with the vinyl part and maybe will help with the fiberglass. It can be a lot of work. Folks have stated that the 3M adhesive remover is helpful but I haven't tried it.
New molding is expensive at about 10 dollars a foot from Grady. Search for the older posts, there is a lot of info and possible sources for the trim.

Reactions: Meanwhile

Sdfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I used clamps to pinch the molding onto the hull. Worked great, don't recall what adhesive I used.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Another forum member had some for sale in the for sale section. I don't know if he has any left for sale, but I'm sure if he doesn't then your local Grady White dealer will, or can order you some. I'd have to imagine there's probably some sort of video or tutorial out there on YouTube that can show you exactly how to do it, or probably even on here as well.

mous

Reaction score
If they are shrunk and pulling away, even if you glue, they will pull away again unless you remove the whole length and reposition. The piece will be shorter and will have a space somewhere. I chose to have the space under the combing bolster where the gap doesn't show.
If they are lust loose, they can be adhered with 3M double sided molding tape. It comes in different sizes. For your molding you need the 7/8 inch width. That comes in 15 foot lengths. You have to remove the old adhesive from the fiberglass and the back of the molding. A heat gun will help with the vinyl part and maybe will help with the fiberglass. It can be a lot of work. Folks have stated that the 3M adhesive remover is helpful but I haven't tried it.
New molding is expensive at about 10 dollars a foot from Grady. Search for the older posts, there is a lot of info and possible sources for the trim.

Thanks will try to reposition it first before investing 10 dollars a foot (if failed). The helm area will be tricky so I'll do the transom side first (easier).