Foam tiles in lieu of berth cushions

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
After 15 years my berth cushions are in need of replacement. However, I don't want to spend the money to have them redone only to go back to using them as a base for storing gear and tackle bags, which is one thing that's contributed to their current state. So, I'm looking at something like the foam tiles used in gyms for daily working use and reserving the berth cushions for the rare occasions when we may want to overnight or have young kids aboard who need a place to nap. Would like something relatively non-slip and with at least a little padding for comfort as I'm climbing around up there. Anyone done something like this and found a good product? I've found lots of options but nothing that seems 'perfect' for the job. Don't know what it would cost for something like Sea-Dek but I'm guessing that it's way more than I want to spend right now. Thanks.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
My sister in law put new tops on the cushions.Looks great but I never see it because I use a big moving blanket from HF over the top. Then its covered with rolled up towels and a blankets and a pillow & rods & tackle & rain jackets & "fishing clothes"...

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Those interlocking foam tiles could definitely work. Might need to tape the seams to keep them from popping apart as you twist and move around on them... or glue the seams with something like Gorilla glue. A few well placed snaps will keep it from moving around - and won't bother the berth cushions when you put them back in.

Google for EVA foam sheets, too.

My guess on SeaDeck would be somewhere in the $500 range.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
For what you are looking to do, I think the square interlocking tiles are a great idea. We have ones at work that are meant to be used in MMA style gyms. They interlock with a dovetail type of connection which holds them together very well. Plus they have very good non-skid properties. I think if you cut them out to v-berth area tightly you will not have any slip or sliding issues at all. The have proven to be very easy to clean and durable. I would go with probably at least 3/4" thickness.

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
For what you are looking to do, I think the square interlocking tiles are a great idea. We have ones at work that are meant to be used in MMA style gyms. They interlock with a dovetail type of connection which holds them together very well. Plus they have very good non-skid properties. I think if you cut them out to v-berth area tightly you will not have any slip or sliding issues at all. The have proven to be very easy to clean and durable. I would go with probably at least 3/4" thickness.
Good idea.
Some of those rubber squares have an odor out of the box, I suggest airing them out for a few days if that is in an issue.

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
After 15 years my berth cushions are in need of replacement. However, I don't want to spend the money to have them redone only to go back to using them as a base for storing gear and tackle bags, which is one thing that's contributed to their current state. So, I'm looking at something like the foam tiles used in gyms for daily working use and reserving the berth cushions for the rare occasions when we may want to overnight or have young kids aboard who need a place to nap. Would like something relatively non-slip and with at least a little padding for comfort as I'm climbing around up there. Anyone done something like this and found a good product? I've found lots of options but nothing that seems 'perfect' for the job. Don't know what it would cost for something like Sea-Dek but I'm guessing that it's way more than I want to spend right now. Thanks.

This is a very good idea, now I have to raid the schools and look for some. LOL

bartoma

Reaction score
I don't think you'd need the think, rubber mats used in gyms - I laid interlocking carpet squares over a concrete floor in the basement to great effect... The carpet was a thin, almost felt-like pile over about a 1/4" of rubber foam for cushion... They were cheap and effective...

seasick

Reaction score
Sounds interesting but I would make sure I keep an eye on them. They may leach out chemicals that react or possible stain gel coat. Cabins can get pretty hot in the sun. I have no proof that that might occur but by nature I am a pessimist.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Sounds interesting but I would make sure I keep an eye on them. They may leach out chemicals that react or possible stain gel coat. Cabins can get pretty hot in the sun. I have no proof that that might occur but by nature I am a pessimist.
This was a problem when we initially bought a cheap set. The color leached out when they were cleaned. After switching to a better product we have not had any issues.

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have removed my cushions for the exact same reasons stated, gear tears them up, they were not in great shape when I got the boat to begin with so I removed them. I have some mats that are interlocking and about 7/8" thick. Maybe this weekend I can work on this. I like the idea.

DoctorOctopus

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
you'll have to make a lid for the center cushion that has a backer board. But this idea seems brilliant... if I just had a place to store my Berth Cushions