Front anchor eyelet problem on 226 Seafarer

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Not sure, exactly. Maybe 3/16" or 1/4" - and then whatever width the original was. 2", maybe 2-1/2"? Do you still have your original one? Just copy it.

Seadogger

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My old bracket is so rusted , it just crumbled when I removed it. I bought a piece of quarter inch by 2 inch stainless and I will re-fabricate like yours.

seasick

Reaction score
As mentioned, the rod and bracket are part of the lifting ring gear. The forward ring (winching u-bolt) on the upper keel is not the lifting ring. That would be a round eye on the top of the forward gunnel or pulpit. If the lifting eye is not needed, the winch ring as I call it was just through bolted with a backing plate, a strip of metal with two holes.
The bracket and rod don't add strength to the winch u-bolt, just to the lifting eye

Seadogger

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As mentioned, the rod and bracket are part of the lifting ring gear. The forward ring (winching u-bolt) on the upper keel is not the lifting ring. That would be a round eye on the top of the forward gunnel or pulpit. If the lifting eye is not needed, the winch ring as I call it was just through bolted with a backing plate, a strip of metal with two holes.
The bracket and rod don't add strength to the winch u-bolt, just to the lifting eye
I think I’ve decided to reinforce my bow Eye With a piece of quarter inch stainless plate and also the same with my bow cleat. I never plan on using the bow cleat for a lifting eye. Thank you for all your information. You’ve been very helpful

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Had the same problem, please don't lift from the bow eye as others have said.

My fix: "I got some braces from Home Depot, and 2 cartridges of West System Six10 from West Marine. 2 part epoxy that is thickened and self mixes as you squeeze through the caulk gun. Squirted that all over the inside hull where the cleat goes in then smeared it by hand wearing a latex glove. then got the braces in along with the new bow eye, tightened up the inside before the epoxy cured (it's like 40 mins working time) then used second tube of Six10 to cover the outside of the braces to the fiberglass."

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I think I’ve decided to reinforce my bow Eye With a piece of quarter inch stainless plate and also the same with my bow cleat. I never plan on using the bow cleat for a lifting eye. Thank you for all your information. You’ve been very helpful
That'll work. And, if you do need to lift the boat sometime, the bow eye is MORE than sufficient for that. You can bed the stainless in something like 4200 or 5200 to take up any small irregularities.