Fuel issues

joker

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hello everyone new to this site I have a 1987 232 gulfstream. It holds two tanks 90 gals a piece, l have changed my fuel lines to trident ehtinol friendly gas. My issue is my tanks very drity would like to clean them used startron tank cleaner it did a fair job. I don’t want to keep using strong detergents in my tanks.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hello Joker and welcome to the forum. I've not experienced this problem before so I don't have good advice. However, I'll suggest you post this in the general forum where it will be seen by all members, rather than just in the GGG where it won't get so much exposure. Also, when you say the tanks are dirty, might want to clarify, if you know, if it is just sediment built up over time or if it the result of ethanol.

In your year boat are the tanks easy to get to? if you have cut-outs in the deck that would let you fairly easily pull the tanks, it may be an option to get them professionally cleaned and pressure-tested.

Rob

seasick

Reaction score
Funny thing is that over time the ethanol fuel 'cleans' the tank. of course you end up burning it off or clogging filters.
I do wonder though how one knows his or her tank is dirty?

joker

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
It’s easy really if you have inspection hactches . Just in screw your sending unit . To clarify my dirty tanks it appears to be sediment this Grady sat idol for a number of years. Maybe the ethanol is helping clean up my tanks I run a double Racor system so I’m not concerned about dirt.

seasick

Reaction score
was the sediment hard/granular or was it gooey?
I am not sure what you mean by dual racors but if the tank has solids in it and they are bigger than the filter's sizing ( microns e.g.) eventually the filter will foul up and flow will be diminished or stopped.
If you tank has goo in it, that may or may not plug the filter but may end up in the motor. If the old fuel had phase separation, then you will end up burning relatively pure ethanol.

joker

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
On inspection of my fuel bowls some is granluar looks like dirt . Racor has a double filter unit originally designed for diesel fuel . I run two S-3209 filters if one clogs I simply turn the lever over to the other filter quick and easy. I’m in the north east it’s no fun changing out filters out at sea been there done that.