fuel numbers on unpainted 265 with 225 four strokes

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am considering going to 4 strokes 225 Yams and I would very much appreciate some real world figures on a 265 express non painted hull, particularly in heavy (fully loaded) and light modes at cruise ie. 4,000rpm and trolling one motor approx 1500rpm or 5 knots.

I do some long runs (2-3hrs) at cruise and all day at trolling 5-6 knots so these figures are very relevant to my needs and comparisons.

Gallons used at these revs is all that i require but I would appreciate some degree of accuracy ie Yamaha fuel management or similar.

SlimJim

Reaction score
the only problem with going with 4 strokes with your hull is that it will pull your stern down and your scuppers will be down low. The 225 4 strokes are about 100 pounds more weight then the 200 hp HPDI'S.

SlimJim

Reaction score
i have had both engines, and the fuel burn will be very close, the 4 strokes with be much more quiet and less smoke and no gas smell at all. The 4 stroke will be a lot more doggie and slow out of the hole. The 4 stroke might be much better trolling at low speeds tho and last a lot longer. There are pros and cons to both engines. I think the 225 4 stroke will be heavy for your hull tho. Its very hard to beat a Yamaha 200 hp HPDI when everything is running right.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
My buddy from the site here Eppe has the 265 with 4strokes - I have the one with HPDI's - we both have painted bottoms -
We have compared numbers in multiple scenarios - it is not even close enough to talk about -
On a long range (80 mile one way) canyon trip - I am maybe 1 gallon less per hour both motors cruising 1 mph more - then once we get to the edge we troll for about 8 hours - he is better on the troll - then we head back -
Both boats burn with a few gallons of each for total trip!
Tim

eppem

Reaction score
Tim is correct,

Its very close, the difference is the oil you need to add.

Bama96

Reaction score
I have heard that you may have to move your scuppers up with the 4 strokes on the 2000, 2001, and 2002 265 hulls. Is that true?

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Bama96 said:
I have heard that you may have to move your scuppers up with the 4 strokes on the 2000, 2001, and 2002 265 hulls. Is that true?

Not sure if 2002 is included - if I were to repower my 2000 I would move the scupper up-

TIm

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
2002 the cusppers were relocated, but mid year, my 2002 was a late year 2002 and had the higher scupper location, actually mine was the second to last 2002 built. As stated above, fuel burn numbers are very similar, you will cruise slightly faster on the HPDI's, to match the speed you might burn more on the 4 stroke, but the 4 strokes are better trolling, no problems with low rpm operation, we troll 8mph roughly and burn around 4gal an hour...depends on sea conditions, can go as high as 5gph. Typically, I run out 100 miles, troll for 8+ hours and run back on my F225's and burn under 200gal. We did a run 114nm each way last year and trolled 7 hours and burned 198gal total. These numbers are also without using an autopilot which was added this spring so my total burn should go down, no more swearving or heads aches trying to stay on course...4 hours of that can make you go mad. As far as power, the HPDI will have a little more pep out of the hole, but both engines will have similar power and top speeds, within maybe 2-3mph which really should not be a big deal, I see 42-43 fully loaded down with offshore gear and 4 onboard, have seen 45 with 1/3 fuel at slack tide with a 5mph wind in my favor. I also have bottom paint so you will do slightly better as well, maybe 5+% I'd think.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I have a 2002 which came with F225s, my scuppers get down low, but never underwater. I have never measured height, hasn't been an issue. Is there some way to find out this info, is it listed somewhere? these are my first 4 stroke engines, and I have been very happy, there are times I forget the motors are running. I can't speak for the HPDI, but b/c the width of the my engines I have had accidental damage to my cowlings from the latch from on the fold down transom. I assume with the narrower HPDI this is not possible.

Bama96

Reaction score
On the older 265 Express hulls do the 4-Stroke engine cowlings hit the motor well when they are turned all the way left or right? Will it limit steering movement?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The 4 strokes have no issues steering when tilted down, but when tilted up they will scrape the latch for the fold down transom, where it hits, the latch protrudes out and when tilted up, this is the widest part of the engine cowling. The HPDI's do allow more room to get on and off the boat if you board from the transom and a swim platform, the 4 strokes are tight, with engines up you can get 1 ft in there and lift the other over. When tilted down you can easily pass through with the well folded down. Usually I will get on first and get the engines lowered before loading my crew, if I have someone who might have issues with walking the board we just use the gas dock or a transient slip to let them board easier. I'd sacrifice having to lift my leg or sitting on my behind and slidding around to board the boat then having 2 ft of wasted boat and a long reach to swing around the engines anyday!!

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Bama96 said:
On the older 265 Express hulls do the 4-Stroke engine cowlings hit the motor well when they are turned all the way left or right? Will it limit steering movement?

Nope - I have personaly seen 225's on a 2000 265 Express-

It was fine - but the scuppers were a little lower than I was comfortable with - to be honest, 100 foot of anchor chain (instead of the usual 6') would probally offset the extra weight in the back-

Tim

Bill_N

Reaction score
Bama96 said:

I have an '02 265 with F225's that was bought in '03 as a leftover. No issues with the scuppers as they seem to be at the correct height. It is a very tight fit with the F225's and it seems they should've done something to redesign the fold down transom latch area as I have some marks on my hoods from contact with the latch.

To answer the fuel economy question I think the best you can do is get a set of Mercury Mirage Plus 17" props and run those. You'll probably get 5 or 10% better economy out of them.

I'm running a set of Mirage 18's that I bought last year. I picked up .2-.3 mpg but I put them on late in the year and the jury is still out as far as how they'll be fully loaded.

Bill

Bill_N

Reaction score
Bama96 said:
You might also have a prop guy balance and blueprint your props. You will gain mph as well as MPG. Just a thought.

That will cost as much as a set of used props.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Regarding the original question

I am considering going to 4 strokes 225 Yams and I would very much appreciate some real world figures on a 265 express non painted hull, particularly in heavy (fully loaded) and light modes at cruise ie. 4,000rpm and trolling one motor approx 1500rpm or 5 knots.

I concur with what Graddyfiss22 (Tom) and others said. I am a new owner of a 2004 265 with 225's on an unpainted hull. On a perfectly calm day two weeks ago, with half fuel and 4 aboard + 100 lbs. of ice, we did 92 statute miles (GPS) on 53 gallons. Cruised at 28mph (Statute) at 3,900 RPM's and the engines were NOT working hard at all. On the way in, we wound her up and I think reached the RPM limiter in the computer while making 47mph.
So, on this day, without really trying to be economical (just sensible), we did 1.74 mpg but it was "like a lake" (rare) and we weren't real "heavy".
When I go out, I assume we'll do 1.5mpg which has been my norm so far.

More info. - excluding the above 92 miler, I did 7 trips since I received the boat. During these 7 trips (each around 45-50 miles total) I traveled exactly 338 miles and burned 199 gallons. This averages to 1.7mpg statute. Hope this helps. Cheers, Jack

SlimJim

Reaction score
HMBJack said:
Regarding the original question

I concur with what Graddyfiss22 (Tom) and others said. I am a new owner of a 2004 265 with 225's on an unpainted hull. On a perfectly calm day two weeks ago, with half fuel and 4 aboard + 100 lbs. of ice, we did 92 statute miles (GPS) on 53 gallons. Cruised at 28mph (Statute) at 3,900 RPM's and the engines were NOT working hard at all. On the way in, we wound her up and I think reached the RPM limiter in the computer while making 47mph.
So, on this day, without really trying to be economical (just sensible), we did 1.74 mpg but it was "like a lake" (rare) and we weren't real "heavy".
When I go out, I assume we'll do 1.5mpg which has been my norm so far.

More info. - excluding the above 92 miler, I did 7 trips since I received the boat. During these 7 trips (each around 45-50 miles total) I traveled exactly 338 miles and burned 199 gallons. This averages to 1.7mpg statute. Hope this helps. Cheers, Jack
sounds about right.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Guys for all the honest feedback. It does seem your 4 stroke numbers are remarkably similar and the trolling numbers aren't any better than what I am currently getting. Althouigh I only ever use one motor at 5-6 knots.

It would be nice to not have that 2 stroke noise at troll tho' and I am sure the 4 strokes add considerably to resale ( at huge expense tho') as well as moving the boat on when that time comes. I'm sure buyers here definitely have a strong preference for 4 strokes in larger boats esp. these days. My 2 strokes have 1000 hours on them and I know that is considered a deterrent here by most buyers.

There does seem to be an issue with hpdi's and ethanol and unstable fuel etc. Not something the 4 strokes are having many probs with?

Current time seems good for big purchases as well with interest rates on Yamaha motors similar to home mortgage rates.