Fuel tank replacement round 2!

SirGrady226

Reaction score
That bilge setup is quite different than the earlier bilge on my 87, yours rests completely along the bottom where they had two thin strips of material placed from what I can tell. Mine has raised bearing points that keeps the tank about an inch or so off the bottom, they had rubber pads between those and the tank. They also had rubber under the top holding braces, all these places where rubber contacted the aluminum is where I had corrosion. It looks like the way they did yours, that it would be easy to get debris trapped and near impossible to flush out. Not sure that was a great idea on their part, but I'm sure they wanted as large of a tank as possible.

seasick

Reaction score
In the picture with the bilge pump, I see two wires on the top of the photo that enter a hole. What am I looking at? It almost seems that the wires are in the hole to the garboard drain. What am I not seeing?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
In the picture with the bilge pump, I see two wires on the top of the photo that enter a hole. What am I looking at? It almost seems that the wires are in the hole to the garboard drain. What am I not seeing?

This,,,,,,,
20171127_115900.jpg20180124_191520.jpg

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
ooohhh.. that is cool as heck

I want a white one, like this, but with a green light.. lol

God forbid you should mention lights on THT.. those people go crazy on there about lights on a boat.. heh

R

Last edited:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That bilge setup is quite different than the earlier bilge on my 87, yours rests completely along the bottom where they had two thin strips of material placed from what I can tell. Mine has raised bearing points that keeps the tank about an inch or so off the bottom, they had rubber pads between those and the tank. They also had rubber under the top holding braces, all these places where rubber contacted the aluminum is where I had corrosion. It looks like the way they did yours, that it would be easy to get debris trapped and near impossible to flush out. Not sure that was a great idea on their part, but I'm sure they wanted as large of a tank as possible.

My buddy's '88 Seafarer was like your setup. Mine is supported by 2 strips on the bottom, flat side down, and 2 in the back and the 6 nylon spacer wedges along topside.
20190901_084933.jpg20190901_085001.jpg

Reactions: SirGrady226

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How do you think all of that junk got into the compartment? The only time I've seen that kind of thing was after my friend's boat went through Hurricane Andrew. I was never able to figure out how all the pine needles got into his bilge and tank compartment. All of the access covers were still in place.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
How do you think all of that junk got into the compartment? The only time I've seen that kind of thing was after my friend's boat went through Hurricane Andrew. I was never able to figure out how all the pine needles got into his bilge and tank compartment. All of the access covers were still in place.

The pictures I've seen before I bought it, the boat was stored under some trees. The pictures also show a cover on it, maybe sometimes it wasn't covered. The sand is a given, living it's life in Florida. As to how it all made its way to the bilge is anyone's guess. At least I know it's now as clean as as it's ever been besides when it was built.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Nice work with the belt sander. Did just enough to get the tank out and left all the screw holes intact. Nice job and thanks for putting up the pictures. Nice to know it can be done.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice work with the belt sander. Did just enough to get the tank out and left all the screw holes intact. Nice job and thanks for putting up the pictures. Nice to know it can be done.

I did the best I could. Had to sacrifice the 2 in the back corners in order to lift tank straight up. Square tank coming out of a round hole just doesn't work. I have a plan to fix them after I drop new tank in.
20190901_125118.jpg

Lsquared

Reaction score
i noticed the baitwell box in the picture above. Will that come out like that in a 282? I want to replace the scuppers and hoses but no real way to get at them. If that would come out I think that would make it easier.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
All that will last another 15-20 years after you get her all cleaned up and looked awesome ;)

One last worry off the list!

R

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
i noticed the baitwell box in the picture above. Will that come out like that in a 282? I want to replace the scuppers and hoses but no real way to get at them. If that would come out I think that would make it easier.

Not familiar with baitwell setup on the 282. If it screws in like mine, yes it will come out, if it's built in, no it wont come out. Might have to look at adding some inspection ports to access the areas you need for scupper and hose replacement.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
New tank has arrived. Slight glitch with trucking company as they lost it last week. They offloaded it someplace else, finally found it and I went to the trucking company personally to pick it up this morning, not taking a chance of it being misplaced again. Hope to install this weekend.
20190923_101233.jpg

Reactions: RussGW270

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Great updates!!

Love the pics where your feet are covered in dust.

Brings back fond memories :p

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
And so it begins. Round 2 of fuel tank replacement. Brought boat home yesterday, had to mow yard when I got in today. So far have the floor panel off, hoses off, sending unit out, sending unit wiring off, nylon wedges almost all out. Some of the heads twisted off, so have a little work to do to get the rest out. Siphoned the fuel out. I'll take the grinder to the panel flange where it sits to widen it to get tank out. Should be able to pull it Saturday. Looking in through the sender hole looks like I can see a hole in the bottom, I'll know more after I get it out.
View attachment 8522View attachment 8523View attachment 8529
I’d be curious to know how the inner hatch was constructed was it one piece plywood or 4 inch squares epoxied ?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Big job KY, think I would have farmed that one out to the dealer :). It does get me nervous though, I see you boat is an 04, same as mine. When you discovered you has an issue with the tanks were they actually leaking fuel into the bilge? Love seeing a clean bilge like the after shots! Good luck. Good news is you are set for at least the next 15 years!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes, tanks were leaking fuel into the bilge. Bought boat April of '17, used auxiliary only during fall fishing in '17, early '18. Went to Florida summer of '18 and filled both tanks, smelled fuel at the helm but could never find source. Pulled floor panels after I got home and found the auxiliary tank leaking around sender flange, totally corroded beyond repair, figured that to be my source of fuel smell, ordered new auxiliary tank and installed. Figured main tank was ok at that point, boy was I wrong. Main tank was leaking on the bottom and had filled the bilge up enough to melt the float switch bracket. Should have looked in to it sooner but wrote off the fuel I was seeing as residual from line change and F/W separator change. Florida this past summer and bilge pump is on and no water coming out, finally got it to shut off, more fuel smell again. Get home and pull livewell and find the melted float switch. Pull main tank and find hole. New main tank ordered and that's where I am now. I feel lack of good flushing contributed to it's failure. Cracked inspection plate and ring also allowed saltwater inside too.