Fuse block

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
So as a side project to my Flat Dash project, I NEEDED to replace the fuse block that is under the dash. 20 years is too old for a fuse block. It had "green" and it was past the time.
One of the first projects when I bought the boat was to replace the fuse block up in the hardtop...it was garbage.

Amazing how drips can get to something so covered up.
fuse block5.jpg

fuse block4.jpg

So it seems that 1/4" spade terminal fuse blocks are going the way of 2 strokes. The new ones all have screw terminals except this Sierra brand fuse block.
While I generally agree that ring terminals are better...not where a dropped screw will fall into oblivion.
fuse block2.jpg

fuse block1.jpg

Don't look TOO close...there are some "temporary" connections...

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Although it is frowned upon by the purists, you can use the forked terminals, instead of ringed, and you only have to loosen the screw a half turn, or so. ABYS may have something to do with spade terminals being phased out.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Although it is frowned upon by the purists, you can use the forked terminals, instead of ringed, and you only have to loosen the screw a half turn, or so. ABYS may have something to do with spade terminals being phased out.
yep but reaching down in there and blindly "loosening" the screw with a screwdriver....rather not...plus, I have a shipload of red and blue spade and ring terminals and zero forked terminals.
And I would have to remake ALL of the existing terminals

Way easier to trobleshoot with push/pull ...of course..way easier to break a wire too....

You know, switches are still all 1/4" spade

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
And, it is just a terrible location to begin with. On my two GW's, you have to lay on your back, and work in a maze of wires. Might be a good idea to wire a permanently mounted light, that shines on the block, and not in your eyes. And, if you have to replace a fuse under way, there you are flat on your back, with no visibility of what is happening around the boat. Doesn't help being 72 yo.
I added a 12 fuse block in my E-box, and every time I have to work on wiring, I try to move it up there

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Interesting location. I have the overhead 6-circuit block and the bus bars under the dash as you show but my main 12 circuit block is behind a screw in access plate in the head, far more convenient. This is just inside the door on the aft side bulkhead.
2A19376B-032C-4239-8F39-E958455C0E49.JPG

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Ive heard that newer 265s have them in a better place

hmmmm... so its on the same bulkhead but turned around and there is an access plate in the head?

What does that look like from the top with the "gauge" panel removed?

grady_22

Reaction score
Their is how I just did mine. Don’t have a finished picture. This was somewhere in the middle.

Attachments

• 71A87696-F734-415D-B791-348EB7A2CBFC.jpeg
    71A87696-F734-415D-B791-348EB7A2CBFC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
Reactions: SkunkBoat

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
On my previous 265(02). the fuse block was in the same place under the dash. Initially I cursed it as I thought the only access was the small 4" pie plate. Once I realized I just had to pop the dash panel it was much easier to access. My only beef was it was just too small for a boat this size. That being said in the early 2000's the electronics for boats were completely different then those today. I ended up replacing the panel in the upper electronic box with a blue seas model.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
On my previous 265(02). the fuse block was in the same place under the dash. Initially I cursed it as I thought the only access was the small 4" pie plate. Once I realized I just had to pop the dash panel it was much easier to access. My only beef was it was just too small for a boat this size. That being said in the early 2000's the electronics for boats were completely different then those today. I ended up replacing the panel in the upper electronic box with a blue seas model.
ya but "popping the dash panel" is a pia too. You gave me a glimmer of an idea to cut a hole in the head and flip the panel around...

but now that my gauges are moved up to the bubble, I'm putting in a door with a removeable tray for access....at least...I'm trying to do that....

More on that coming soon in another thread

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Ive heard that newer 265s have them in a better place

hmmmm... so its on the same bulkhead but turned around and there is an access plate in the head?

What does that look like from the top with the "gauge" panel removed?
Skunk, believe it's a different bulkhead, looks like yours is on the outboard side of the helm. Mine is about where the circular access port in your picture is shown. The black enclosure in the earlier pic is what you're seeing in the pic below. It's got an open gap at the bottom for the wires to pass through.
361325C8-5DCE-4943-9C24-CD8734A19AC4.JPG

Reactions: SkunkBoat