Fusion, Garmin XM weather puck and plotter

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I have the new speakers , the Fusion Apollo hideaway system and new speaker cable. I want to add XM to the system and I want to buy the Garmin XM weather puck combo deal. So, the question is this. When I connect the weather receiver to the 942 XS Plus and then connect the Fusion head unit to the 942 , I should then get XM radio on the fusion right? Or do I need to buy yet another XM receiver ? The Garmin piece does receive XM radio as well as their weather package . Maybe this question is better suited asking Garmin tech support?

I am trying to line up all the pieces parts here and then do the install in a few weeks . 10212.jpeg10210.jpeg10018.jpeg

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I had a XM puck on my Mako for a season. It connected to my Garmin and I had an AV the came off the XM lead. This was pre-nema. I would assume the XM would be shared across the network.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I installed a Fusion RA70 w/NMEA2000 stereo unit with SiriusXM module connected. The RA70 connects to my Garmin 8612 and 943 via NMEA.

I don't have Garmin weather puck. It looked to me like the Sirius radio would come into the Fusion via aux inputs. Call Fusion tech support - they were very helpful on an issue I had.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I installed a Fusion RA70 w/NMEA2000 stereo unit with SiriusXM module connected. The RA70 connects to my Garmin 8612 and 943 via NMEA.

I don't have Garmin weather puck. It looked to me like the Sirius radio would come into the Fusion via aux inputs. Call Fusion tech support - they were very helpful on an issue I had.
I did call Fusion prior to ordering the radio to understand what cables I might need to purchase also. I brought up the 942 and the Garmin XM weather receiver puck and he wasn't exactly sure how to connect XM radio that route. He did mention he thinks through RCA audio cables and he thought the XM puck would have NEMA/ether net with also RCA terminals on the end of the cable. It's why I asked here . I figured I would give it go here calling Garmin. Y'all are more fun to talk too ☺️. Thanks for your reply .

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've got older technology on my boat. Using the Sirius WM-3 weather module and it has the RCA to connect the radio to for Sirius XM on the unit. Simrad NSS12 works just fine with it. Weather overlays with no issues.

000-11104-001_1.png20210424_090531.jpg

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Pretty sure the RCAs transfer Sirius/XM audio only. The data for the weather goes via N2K.

If I didn't have Raymarine's proprietary SeaTalk nonsense on the boat, I'd connect it and add the service to my account. Unfortunately, that means an upgrade to my GPS/plotter, which works fine at the moment.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
My Fusion stereo is mounted in the cabin. It was easier to install XM board there. I still had to run a NMEA 2000 cable from the helm. Also Sirius XM had a special on the gadget that offered a rebate that almost made it free.

The GXM install instruction: "If you are connecting the audio cable from the wiring harness, you must connect it to the line-in or auxiliary port on a stereo." I prefer it to come into the stereo on the Sirius XM connector.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Thanks . Ok..I am going to order the puck . You guys are great .

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Are you sure? This is what I installed. $67.04 with SiriusXM Promotion - Purchase a SiriusXM Receiever and receive a $ 70.00 rebate and get 3 Free Months SiriusXM Service with Subscription.

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks . Ok..I am going to order the puck . You guys are great .
I'm not a fan of SiriusXM weather. Depends on what you are looking for. I would be fine to discuss it with you. What is it you expect it to accomplish for you? For my big rig big tournament fishing we pay for multiple services and use pieces of each. Generally Sirius it's not that useful.